rain jacket recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rOYk

by rOYk

Hi
I look for lightweight rain jacket. No pockets needed, i don't need it as windbreaker- just good jacket to have in my back pocket that I can use for rainy days. Most of the jacket I saw was too heavy or too expensive for simple rain protection.

What can you recomend me?

Thanks

lannes

by lannes

Castelli Gabba jersey with Nanoflex arms warmers or Sportful no rain arm warmers, but maybe this is too expensive for your budget

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Castelli does some small, light and relatively cheap option. Can't remember the name though.
Reviews suggestds it was very hot though!
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

rOYk

by rOYk

I'm not looking for cheap jacket, just don't see any reason spend 300$ for rain jacket. I have very good Gore jacket for cold and rainy days. I look for a jacket that fit my back pocket, simple style like the good old Nalini plastic jacket. 130$ is the max budget I'll give for it

tsurani

by tsurani

Sportful Hot Pack No-Rain Stretch Jacket
probikekit has them on sale in the UK for £60 so it's worth checking if they are also on offer in your country

blantonator

by blantonator

Rapha seems like an obvious choice and it's on sale!

rOYk

by rOYk

tsurani wrote:Sportful Hot Pack No-Rain Stretch Jacket
probikekit has them on sale in the UK for £60 so it's worth checking if they are also on offer in your country

Thank you! this is what I was looking for

rOYk

by rOYk

blantonator wrote:Rapha seems like an obvious choice and it's on sale!

Yehaaa, Rapha is on sale, I can buy jacket for 299$ after 35% sale discount.. I prefer buying carbon something for my bike

go4custom

by go4custom

Best rain jacket I've ever worn. I probably owned four before this one. Super light, packs in a jersey pocket, and breathable.

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/men/ ... ro-tech-st

HillRPete

by HillRPete

lannes wrote:Castelli Gabba jersey with Nanoflex arms warmers or Sportful no rain arm warmers, but maybe this is too expensive for your budget

Don't get the Gabba when you're looking for an all-out rain jacket. As I've said multiple times around here, it's great for racing or hard workouts in the rain. For hours on end in the downpour it's not the best choice, you will get soaked and cold.

Personally I'm after a Castelli Confronto jacket for the coming season (not tried yet though). Waterproof shell plus zip vents beats the most fancy fabrics, in my book.

gravity

by gravity

does it have to be cycling specific? i have uniqlo rain jacket, can't remember how much but relatively super cheap. look into some running shop, they might have some within your budget. running after all is not as snob as cycling, so they might have good product with cheaper price tag.

cookiemonster

by cookiemonster

I think lightweight packable rain jackets are much of a muchness.

I have an Assos race cape (it has some stupid assos name which is the usual meaningless mix of random letters, numbers and capitalisation that looks someone typed their password into the "model" field by mistake). They make great claims of its breathability, but I dont find it any better or worse than the cheap montane plastic-bag-as-a-jacket that it replaced. The only real benefit is that the assos has vents in the armpits and down the sides, it fits better and its lasted so far for 5 years or so.

I also have a Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier which I was given. Similar deal to the Assos but at a quarter of the price. If I was buying again this is what I'd get as its cheap when compared to the crazy prices of the Assos, Rapha type stuff, but of decent enough quality.

jon

eric

by eric

The Showers Pass is really nice. It keeps you dry and breathes better than traditional clear plastic rain jackets (but not as well as regular jersey material). It packs down smaller than they do so its easier to put in a jersey pocket.

It looks like Pearl Izumi makes something similar now for $50 less, so I'd check that out first.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

... and the best thing about Showerpass is that they are from the land of rain, and lots of rain.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Rick

by Rick

I have a Pearl Pro Barrier Lite; which is excellent for weight and packability, (only 58 grams) but I am not sure it would be great in a real rainstorm. I have used it only for sort, light, showers. You can gt them on sale for ~$50

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com