Shimano ST-6800 11 speed Shifters with 10 speed wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gjash

by gjash

I guess this is known but folks that are thinking of going 11 speed and want to maximize their investment in 10 speed wheels can feel a bit better that you can use these 11 speed shifters with 10 speed cassettes. Just need to adjust the derailleur limits. I've been running this until I switch wheels over to 11 speed and works fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Thanks for confirming this.

Do you know if it would give better results to pull a cog from an 11-speed cassette and run that on a 10-speed wheel? Has anyone compared the two setups?

gjash

by gjash

If we could do that we wouldn't have to worry about it at all. As far as I know the 11speed cassettes will not go on 10 speed hubs (Shimano).

sanrensho wrote:Thanks for confirming this.

Do you know if it would give better results to pull a cog from an 11-speed cassette and run that on a 10-speed wheel? Has anyone compared the two setups?

gjash

by gjash

Sorry! I see what you are saying now. That's an interesting idea. I'll test it when I get a chance. Little chance right now though. :-)

gjash wrote:If we could do that we wouldn't have to worry about it at all. As far as I know the 11speed cassettes will not go on 10 speed hubs (Shimano).

gjash

by gjash

Found the time. :-) I just tested this idea of the 11 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub. As long as I put a 1mm spacer on first and then pulled the 14t cog on my 12-25 11 speed cassette it seems to tighten up just fine. I didn't try every combination, but seems doable! Without the spacer it wouldn't tighten up on some combinations or if it tightened the spacing between the 1st and 2nd cogs was off. FWIW!

gjash wrote:Sorry! I see what you are saying now. That's an interesting idea. I'll test it when I get a chance. Little chance right now though. :-)

gjash wrote:If we could do that we wouldn't have to worry about it at all. As far as I know the 11speed cassettes will not go on 10 speed hubs (Shimano).

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Thanks gjash.

Do you have any impressions on which shifts better? Is it fair to say that the 11-speed cassette (minus a cog) shifts better with the 6800 shifters?

kode54

by kode54

since i had DT240 hubs...i ordered the 11-sod free hub and swapped it out. i then put on the 11 spd cassette and didn't use any spacers. worked fine.

i eventually redished the wheel...was off about 1.45mm or so.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

lannes

by lannes

gjash wrote:Found the time. :-) I just tested this idea of the 11 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub. As long as I put a 1mm spacer on first and then pulled the 14t cog on my 12-25 11 speed cassette it seems to tighten up just fine. I didn't try every combination, but seems doable! Without the spacer it wouldn't tighten up on some combinations or if it tightened the spacing between the 1st and 2nd cogs was off. FWIW!

Are you using a 10 speed chain or 11 speed chain ?

aaric

by aaric

An 11 speed cassette with a gear pulled works better than 10speed. The spacing between gears is different on the 11s - It might work mostly, but you're most likely going to suffer significant shifting degradation at one end or another of the cassette, depending on how you adjust the cable tension.

It'll probably work fine with a 10 speed chain, but I've used an 11 speed chain.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Does either setup (11-speed shifters with 10-speed cassette or 11s cassette minus a cog) work with a 10-speed rear derailleur (6700/7800/7900)?

aaric

by aaric

Pretty sure the pull ratios are different, so no.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The 11 speed cassette, minus a cog would work will all 11 speed levers and mechs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com