Need help deciding...wheels, groupo, frame for BMC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

go4custom

by go4custom

Going on four years on the forum and there is a lot of advice that come from members, so here is goes...

I'm having a hard time thinking about parting with this frame just for the sake of something lighter (though this is weightweenies and I am one). It fits perfectly, is super stiff & responsive, looks great, and a Swiss edition that is no longer made. I'm just getting a little bored with the build but can't decide what to do.

So here's what I'd like to hear your thoughts on these options. I'm no longer racing, maybe 1 or 2 a season, so I don't worry too much about going down and killing nice parts. It's more about doing group rides, centuries, and solos.

XXX-lites gone, replaced with 900g Reynolds MV32T's

Thoughts on these options.

1. Replace frame with Foil, addict sl, Moots RSL, Cervelo R5...old parts.
OR
2. (keep frame) Replace groupo with Red22 or Record 11, EE brakes, New Ultimate bar,stem and Aican cables/housing.
OR
3. (keep frame/groupo) New wheelset, Enve 45, 3.4 clinchers or new Reynolds Assault clincher with tune 70/170.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by go4custom on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigismond0

by sigismond0

So you want to replace the frame, wheels, and groupset? Why not just buy a whole new bike at that point? It's usually cheaper to go that route than build from the ground up, which is essentially what you'd be doing.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I would personally hold on to that frame since it fits perfectly and is absolutely boss........so.......

I would go with Red 22 and Enve Wheels....go ahead and match the Enve wheels with Enve stem. Problem = Solved!

:noidea: :beerchug: :beerchug:

russianbear

by russianbear

I would get a different frame. Since your focus has shifted away from racing, maybe something more compliant instead of super stiff? I don't mean a noodle or anything, but something with nice ride characteristics (for your taste) C59, Dogma, 695 etc. Test riding time.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

If you want a new frame why not custom? Something like Crumpton or Parlee? Or I would even consider looking for a used Look 585/595 in good shape?

plpete

by plpete

I like the frame as well and if you're happy with it then keep it. Personally, I would do a swiss theme because of the rare paint and go with some DT Swiss wheels (carbon clinchers), Sram Red 22 with TRP 960 brakes. I think they go perfect with that frame.

go4custom

by go4custom

Ahillock wrote:If you want a new frame why not custom? Something like Crumpton or Parlee? Or I would even consider looking for a used Look 585/595 in good shape?

As much as I'm one to prefer custom & highly suggest it, I can't quite justify $5000-$6500 for a Crumpton or Parlee. That's why I'm leaning a little towards a stock carbon frame, maybe the Moots if I can find a deal. If I do replace the frame, it will have to be lighter; no sense in replacing the BMC with something of similar weight.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Id say go for a custom frame or custom wheels. A nice custom frame can enhance your ride quite a bit. A wheelset would be a nice upgrade too but wouldn't be as noticeable as a well built frame.

TK421

by TK421

Man, I wouldn't part with this frame as it looks proper bad ass! Geometry, colours and pain scheme look spot on! (that said from a pro designer's point of view)

If you're not fussed about weight saving then why bother changing it? Plus, I shouldn't think the bike manufacturing technology has advanced as much in the last few/several years, that a 5 years old frame will slow you down as opposed to any brand new frame... Let alone justifying the money.

New cool wheels and groupset is all this frame needs. Make sure they have slightly more understated look, so the frame doesn't fight colour-wise with the rest of the components.

And last but not lease important, if its comfortable why bother going for smth new? What if you get rid of this, spend all the money and find out the old one is better :D

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Keep the frame and build it up with Record 11 speed or Sram Red 22. Also buy some hot 50mm high carbon wheels. You will be in love with your bike again.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

TK421 wrote:Man, I wouldn't part with this frame as it looks proper bad ass! Geometry, colours and pain scheme look spot on! (that said from a pro designer's point of view)

If you're not fussed about weight saving then why bother changing it? Plus, I shouldn't think the bike manufacturing technology has advanced as much in the last few/several years, that a 5 years old frame will slow you down as opposed to any brand new frame... Let alone justifying the money.

New cool wheels and groupset is all this frame needs. Make sure they have slightly more understated look, so the frame doesn't fight colour-wise with the rest of the components.

And last but not lease important, if its comfortable why bother going for smth new? What if you get rid of this, spend all the money and find out the old one is better :D

Carbon bike design and manufacturing has made a leap forward though. A few years ago there may have been 2 production bikes in the 700s gram range. Now there's at least 7. And there are some "non-production" frames deep into the 600s, with variance into the high 500s for smaller sizes.

That's incredible. We all thought carbon tech was plateauing but it just doesn't look that way.

Unless your company is called Pinarello that is.

dgran

by dgran

That bike is in great shape. If you have the itch to change something, maybe identify the weakest component and upgrade that part. The whole set up is clean and seems like good quality parts. I may be a tad jaded as I rode my Trek carbon bike for 13 years and just recently did a new bike so my standard says it should get a lot older and a lot more beaten up before replacing.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Go electronic, Campagnolo or Shimano. Makes you feel like you're riding a brand new bike.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

NealH

by NealH

I recommend keeping the frame set unless there is something you're looking for that this one doesn't have. And then put the new Shimano Ultegra electronic on it....maybe with the 11-32 cassette if you ride mountains often. And for wheels I would stay the safe path, and put some Zipps or perhaps Dura Ace wheels with a profile consistent with most of your riding. The new DA wheels are really superb. Reynolds have some nice ones too. Lots of wheel options.

TK421

by TK421

[/quote] Carbon bike design and manufacturing has made a leap forward though. A few years ago there may have been 2 production bikes in the 700s gram range. Now there's at least 7. And there are some "non-production" frames deep into the 600s, with variance into the high 500s for smaller sizes.

That's incredible. We all thought carbon tech was plateauing but it just doesn't look that way.

Unless your company is called Pinarello that is.[/quote]

As much as I completely agree with you when it comes to weight reduction and new technologies allowing us to shave 100-200grams, can we really make the difference? Can you justify the purchase of a new £3-4k frame with saying...."Yeah, it's 200gr lighter and will make me go so much faster" I would say, keep the frame and get better and faster with regular training on the bike ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com