Wheels Manufacturing Campy BB30 Adapter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Talked to Specialized. They wouldn't really commit to either BB30 or PF30. They would only commit to 'more like a press fit 30'.
They did say (without endorsing) they have used Wheels Mfr adapters with good success and it should be a suitable choice.
I'm still going to check about getting the new Campy Comp Ultra crank and swapping the standard Record, but in my experience new Campy products usually get into the European market before the US so I'm not counting on it.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

carlcurry wrote:Talked to Specialized. They wouldn't really commit to either BB30 or PF30. They would only commit to 'more like a press fit 30'.
They did say (without endorsing) they have used Wheels Mfr adapters with good success and it should be a suitable choice.
I'm still going to check about getting the new Campy Comp Ultra crank and swapping the standard Record, but in my experience new Campy products usually get into the European market before the US so I'm not counting on it.

I'm still not understanding this situation. You first post said that you had the frame.

Even with a tape measure you can tell the difference between a PF30 (46mm dia) and BB30 (42mm dia).

And a true BB30 shell will be 68mm wide. Again a tape measure could verify.

If its BB30 then IMO you would be better off with Campy's alloy cups than a Delrin cup, which have had issues of their own.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

carlcurry

by carlcurry

BikerJulio
Had to go back to my original post to understand. I spoke too soon when I said ready to build. I thought I had a frame. My fault.
Frame is not at the LBS yet. It was in stock and on its way over a week ago as far as I knew.
Your advice is well taken. It will be measured. That may make the decision obvious.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

OK just relax. Whatever it turns out to be, you will be able to use your Campy UT crankset.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Just relax. Hahahaha. That's right. Patience has never been my strong suit.
I'm glad to have gotten all the input. I think with this in hand I can help avoid an accidental bad choice on the parts used for setup.
Actually, now I see I've got multiple good options. And I'm a person ok dealing with a lot of information rather than best guessing on little information.

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Wanted to close this off in a way that might be useful to the next guy.
Campagnolo cranks working fine on a Specialized Allez with the Campagnolo cups.
The confusion centers around Specialized calling them all 'OSBB'. Actually some of their frames are PF30 and some BB30. Use the adapter that is designed for the type of BB you have to avoid issues. My Allez is BB30, and as indicated elsewhere in this thread BB30 works fine with the Campagnolo adapter cups.
Wheels Manufacturing has a good breakdown for Specialized here;
http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bb-crank- ... ers.html#5
This thread has plenty of other options as well. Just choose one that is well suited for exactly the type of bottom bracket you have.