Giant Propel Advanced Silver model weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ajh

by ajh

I just got my new bike for next season and pulled it apart for the weights and to replace all the parts with RED22

this is for the Propel Avanced size Med Not the Propel Advanced SL.

It is the Silver with blue model. I was going to wait for the black but I am sick of black.

Frame with BB cable guide and derailleur hangers 1200 grams I figure about 10 -15 grams for the cable guide and bolt
fork with way too much steerer was 400 grams
Headset 54 grams
seatpost 255 grams- i can replace one 10 gram bolt with ti but the other has an adjuster on the top. It is interesting as it actually has two placements for rails one at -5mm setback and one at -25mm.
seatpost binder 30 grams- I will replace the bolt with ti
front brake with all hardware 130 grams-can only replace a few small bolts with ti so not much savings
rear brake 122 grams as it is shorter- can only replace a few small bolts with ti so not much savings
brake noodles 6 grams

After some give and take on weights of the frame items it should be within a few grams, as my Cervelo S5. So no weight or aero drawback and what should be a stiffer platform.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

P3PO

by P3PO

I am getting a Propel Advance SL 0 frame set size M, should arrive in early April I am interested to see what the difference is in weight is between this and yours.

ajh

by ajh

I am as well as I have heard it is not that much less as the ISP seat post mount is not terribly light. I did get my post to 225 grams with to bolts

P3PO

by P3PO

There is a post on here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=119709 says the seat clamp is 160g frame is 1216g

I am building mine up with Red 22, Easton Aero 55 tubs I am clinging to the dream can get this thing to come in under 15lbs.

P3PO

by P3PO

What was your final build weight?

ajh

by ajh

6.9 kg or 15.2 lbs complete with pedals cages and speed/cadence sensor and magnets

Final build has Red 22, 2014 zipp 404 tubulars, vittoria corsa cx tubular tires, speed play zero ti pedals, giant slr aero bar, Ritchey WCS 1/4 stem 130 mm -17, Fizik arione carbon braided saddle and bontrager rxl cages

P3PO

by P3PO

Nice! I have a renewed hope!

sharkman

by sharkman

I had an SL for the last few months of last season.

Mine was an L and indeed the seatpost top is heavy.

Stiffness and overall ride was very good but hated the brakes (they made extreme lightweight brakes feel very stiff, tried all kind of pads/settings but in the end they ended ok'ish but never gave a solid feel). Could be due too the pre production thing (everything has to be tested) but this is definitely something Giant had to improve on my bike.

Permon

by Permon

ajh wrote:6.9 kg or 15.2 lbs complete with pedals cages and speed/cadence sensor and magnets

Final build has Red 22, 2014 zipp 404 tubulars, vittoria corsa cx tubular tires, speed play zero ti pedals, giant slr aero bar, Ritchey WCS 1/4 stem 130 mm -17, Fizik arione carbon braided saddle and bontrager rxl cages

Give us ride comparisson S5 vs. Propel!
Differences?
Strong and weak points of each?

Thank You

JensW

by JensW

sharkman wrote:I had an SL for the last few months of last season.

Mine was an L and indeed the seatpost top is heavy.

Stiffness and overall ride was very good but hated the brakes (they made extreme lightweight brakes feel very stiff, tried all kind of pads/settings but in the end they ended ok'ish but never gave a solid feel). Could be due too the pre production thing (everything has to be tested) but this is definitely something Giant had to improve on my bike.

there is a reason why the teams ride these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-Mount-Ae ... 258499438b

P3PO

by P3PO

I am glad there is an alternative option for the brakes, thanks for that link!

JensW

by JensW

P3PO wrote:I am glad there is an alternative option for the brakes, thanks for that link!

at least thats the brakes i have read that they use. but i can be wrong.

sharkman

by sharkman

Well.....glad to read Giant-Shimano is one off the greatest teams in the world.

Mine was a Belkin Propel, actually a Blanco but I´ll ask one of the mechanics if the ones in the link look familiar since the brakes I had wheren´t up to descending the Ventoux at a nice speed.

JimmyRingo

by JimmyRingo

Apologies - quick hijack - do you know if the integrated bar/stem combo is an OD2 fitting? I have TCR Advanced and was hoping that I could fit one with the 1 1/4 steerer. Thanks!!

P3PO

by P3PO

JimmyRingo wrote:Apologies - quick hijack - do you know if the integrated bar/stem combo is an OD2 fitting? I have TCR Advanced and was hoping that I could fit one with the 1 1/4 steerer. Thanks!!

Yes it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com