Alignment of FSA Compact Bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

It seems quite intuitive to align the ovalised top section of these bars horizontally with the ground, for maximum aero-effect, so to speak. But then it seems really counter intuitive to have the bar ends sticking upwards slightly.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

em3

by em3

...the alignment should be based on where they are comfortable for your specific set up, which is dependent on your drop and reach. While some interpret the flat section as an aero benefit I think it is more of a comfort platform, where you have a nice perch on which to rest your hands when on the tops. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jmeloy

by Jmeloy

Agree with em3 on this. Comfort section is a plus on long rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L84AD8

by L84AD8

Valbrona wrote:But then it seems really counter intuitive to have the bar ends sticking upwards slightly.

I personally set mine up so that the tip of the bar ends are parallel to the ground, this allows the top flat section to be just off parallel to the ground also which is very comfortable for me on climbs and I can grab the top or lower bars in great comfort, love this setup very much... YMMV.. :lol:

and the aero-effect.. don't stress about it too much.. :?

GT56

by GT56

L84AD8 wrote:
Valbrona wrote:But then it seems really counter intuitive to have the bar ends sticking upwards slightly.

I personally set mine up so that the tip of the bar ends are parallel to the ground, this allows the top flat section to be just off parallel to the ground also which is very comfortable for me on climbs and I can grab the top or lower bars in great comfort, love this setup very much... YMMV.. :lol:

and the aero-effect.. don't stress about it too much.. :?

don't neglect aero, this position may provoke the front of the bike to lift...

Devon

by Devon

I've not used aero tops so can't comment on that, however I agree; horizontal (especially with those terrible Shimano brifters) doesn't work well physically or look nice. I tilt mine slightly downwards. It is however also partly down to brifter position on the bar, but only Campagnolo & SRAM, in my eyes, allow for a good fit in that aspect. Shimano brifters always stick a mile into the air due to their shape (gentle curve upwards rather than a right angle.

See the link in my signature for my setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com