Sram Force chainrings on a Red Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

I bought a pair of S1/V1 (powerglide, force I think) rings in 52-38 to replace the X-Glide R rings on my Red Quarq cranks, but when I layed the new rings over the I noticed the holes in the spider are in a different place..

The bolt holes are offcourse equally far apart on both rings, so I can still mount the rings if I turn them a little. But the chaincatcher pin, which is supposed to fall behind the crankarm, would be above or below the crankarm in this case.
Is this a problem? Or are there other problems to be expected when mounting them like this?

Ergo, I want to put these rings:

on this crankset:

No go or no problem?
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

blantonator

by blantonator

Just rotate 180° and drill out the pin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

And set your front mech up very very carefully.

Overshifting will lead to a (potential) world of pain!

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Thanks for the info, seems like a good solution! But will the shifting ramps work properly when the ring is turned 180 degrees?

Mattr, your concern is not having the pin there to stop the chain from jamming between the cranks and chainring when overshifting? Wouldn't it be better to have the ring mounted with the pin a little the crankarm then?
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

Cosmo

by Cosmo

Using a ring with no drop pin would mean on overshift the chain will go down between the ring and crank. This leads to a very sudden (and likely expensive/painful) stop when the chain gets stuck (which it will 100% of the time). Use at own risk and if you do toss a chain to the outside stop pedaling immediately and put the chain back on by hand. Use at own risk. A catch pin not between the ring and crank is useless no matter how close, has to be between them to work. You can view the function--take the chain off to the outside and gently (to prevent marring the finish) turn the cranks to see what happens.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tk2306

by tk2306

I have been running an FSA chainring (for u19 gear restrictions) on my exogram cranks not a quarq but have the same issue. I just run it with the ring rotated and have NEVER had the chain jammed. However the only small issue i have had is that if the chain is dropped on the outside the chain can be hooked on the pin (you could just take it off however). With the front set up well this happens very rarely :thumbup: