Broken Sram Rival Lever

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

As mentioned in my "My bikes"-topic (find link below), i suffered a setback on my latest build.

For illustration purposes:

This is how i looks. I honestly have a hard time explaining it in english, so.

This it fixable or will i have to invest in a new lever? I have an old lever lying around where the shift paddle is broken, but the inside is good. So could i just replace the white cable carrier?
My bikes incl. De Rosa Superking and Cervelo R3
Twitter & Instagram - @mathiasbregnhoj

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

So this is the part that holds the cable? If you can get a new part and rebuild it then do that.
If not then replace the body with the paddle of your broken shifter.
I think it's pretty lame to use plastic to hold a shifter cable that get pulled thousands of times.
Maybe cast aluminum would have been better.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

davidalone

by davidalone

I tried repairing my broken rival shifter once. even though it is 'theoretically' rebuildable, you need a watchmakers skill to do so. unless you have a very steady hand I'd say it isnt worth the effort.

after taking apart various parts you'll realise that sram makes some compromises for that light weight. long term durability and robustness is one of them.

Bregnhoj

by Bregnhoj

Worst part is, that it's almost brand new.

I just sent it to the danish distributor for a replacement of the cable carrier or a replacement of the lever if they're not able to fix it.
Last edited by Bregnhoj on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My bikes incl. De Rosa Superking and Cervelo R3
Twitter & Instagram - @mathiasbregnhoj

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

If the SRAM shifters are repairable I would not think it would be much more difficult as repairing Campagnolo shifters.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree