Committing an atrocity: DA7900 calipers with campy shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Has it been done? Could it theoretically be accomplished?

You might be asking why… Well, I fell in love with the braking on my friends Dura ace equipped bike, so much so that I want to buy a pair, paint them black, and throw them in with my SR11 group set. What makes this situation even worse is that fact that I live in Campagnolo world. Vicenza, Italy. Literally on the same road as their factory. Despite this, I am full willing to commit this horrendous act to bring my braking performance on par with his complete 7900 bike. Should I do it? Should I slam my face into my desk, shut up and ride on?

Thoughts? :beerchug:
Instagram @seanblurr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Just don't brake.

That way you'll never know what you're missing.

;)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

seanblurr wrote:Has it been done? Could it theoretically be accomplished?

You might be asking why… Well, I fell in love with the braking on my friends Dura ace equipped bike, so much so that I want to buy a pair, paint them black, and throw them in with my SR11 group set. What makes this situation even worse is that fact that I live in Campagnolo world. Vicenza, Italy. Literally on the same road as their factory. Despite this, I am full willing to commit this horrendous act to bring my braking performance on par with his complete 7900 bike. Should I do it? Should I slam my face into my desk, shut up and ride on?

Aside from your heresy, are you sure that the set up is not the reason your "friend's" brakes feel better?

mrfish

by mrfish

Go for it, I think it's a cool idea. If you are good with paint then a screenprinted white Prototypo would keep your local friends guessing.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Could be. My bike has more miles then his set up does, that could play a role as well. We used to run the same wheels, I however, Just made an upgrade to a full carbon wheel. So that will dramatically change the feel from what I hear. That is partly what sparked my quest for better braking…

ultimobici wrote:

Aside from your heresy, are you sure that the set up is not the reason your "friend's" brakes feel better?
Instagram @seanblurr

kode54

by kode54

seanblurr wrote:What makes this situation even worse is that fact that I live in Campagnolo world. Vicenza, Italy. Literally on the same road as their factory. :

not sure you should attempt to go that route. change the pads and see if that helps…or get an aftermarket brake like EE Cycleworks…which i love on both of my bikes (one campy and the other shimano).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Geoff

by Geoff

Nope. I think you'll find that Campagnolo and Shimano both pull different cable rates for shifting and braking.

I am a bit surprised about the cause of your question, though. I actually prefer the Campagnolo lever feel, although the Shimano is plenty powerful. I find that Campagnolo is better for me from the 'hoods.

If you do try it, make sure you report back and post pics...

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Do the Malaysian brakes actuate on cartridge bearings like Record/SR?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

...Should I do it? Should I slam my face into my desk, shut up and ride on?

Thoughts?

The second... slam it and shut up. (you gave a choice, I chose the second) :noidea:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Moved to road.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

JackWalk

by JackWalk

seanblurr wrote:Could be. My bike has more miles then his set up does, that could play a role as well. We used to run the same wheels, I however, Just made an upgrade to a full carbon wheel. So that will dramatically change the feel from what I hear. That is partly what sparked my quest for better braking…

ultimobici wrote:

Carbon wheels will make a massive negative difference to braking performance compared to an aluminium braking surface. It makes the brakes feel more sluggish. Did you put on carbon specific pads when you changed wheels? If you didn't try that and see if that feels better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I will. Haven't put the new wheels on yet. The caparison was made with the same Cosmic SL wheels. Stock pads.
Instagram @seanblurr

DMF

by DMF

The braking will be much mushier and more powerful with less wheel clearance than a full 7900 setup. The 7900 is 1:4 pull ratio, Campagnolo is closer to 1:3. 7900 levers with Campy brakes would give you a firmer lever feel, more clearance and less braking power.

So short answer you will get mushy but powerful braking. It will not feel like your friends brakes.

Svetty

by Svetty

If you think 7900 brakes are good, wait til you try 9000 ;)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Looks like people have yet to understand how to set up brakes and why braking feels different from rim and pad type used. :noidea:
DA and Campy all can have the same reliable braking if you understand what you are doing.
I have Gravity, Shimano and Campy and they are all set up to brake the same way except for the center pull c-records. Those are totally designed differently but I have them set up to feel similar to the regular campy brakes. They are equipped with KoolStop brake pads for better braking over the original brake pads.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com