Committing an atrocity: DA7900 calipers with campy shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DMF

by DMF

stella-azzurra, surely the rigidity of the construction plays a big role, why 6800 is more powerful than 6700 (both with optimal setup), sure they will be the same if you set up the 6800 with less than optimal setup. KCNC brakes will never ne the same no matter setup, as the whole brake twists and squirms due to insufficient amount of material.

I call BS on your post, or you just can't tell the difference while others can. I've seen others of your posts suggesting the latter too. So, maybe all brakes are not the same just because you think they are, they all have subtle differences.

ergott

by ergott

I know Dura Ace brakes work real well, but so do Campagnolo brakes. I have a full SR11 bike setup and never thought the braking was lacking in any way. I've used 9000 for comparison. It takes all of about 5 minutes on a bike to adapt between the two. Leave your brakes alone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I did not say all brakes are the same DMF. I'm saying comparable brake sets will yield the same feel and braking when you have similar rim types, brake pads, calipers and levers.
Do you actually think that the Campagnolo SR brakes will be that much different than the DA's latest?
I beg to differ.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

DMF

by DMF

I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other, if we only talk DA/SR/Red, but there is a difference in feel that might be judged by personal preference. They are not constructed the same way, hence they don't feel the same way. The KCNC example was ofcourse an extreme case so you might understand why there is a difference in feel, from a mechanical standpoint. But you're making the (IMO invalid) point that SR and DA will feel the same, which I find untrue. If you can't pick the difference, that's not the same as in there is no difference.

And DA with SR levers not feeling the same as DA with DA levers is just down to the actual mechanics of varying cable pull ratio.