HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:02 am 

Has it been done? Could it theoretically be accomplished?

You might be asking why… Well, I fell in love with the braking on my friends Dura ace equipped bike, so much so that I want to buy a pair, paint them black, and throw them in with my SR11 group set. What makes this situation even worse is that fact that I live in Campagnolo world. Vicenza, Italy. Literally on the same road as their factory. Despite this, I am full willing to commit this horrendous act to bring my braking performance on par with his complete 7900 bike. Should I do it? Should I slam my face into my desk, shut up and ride on?

Thoughts? :beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:39 am 

Just don't brake.

That way you'll never know what you're missing.

;)

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:39 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 am 
in the industry

seanblurr wrote:

You might be asking why… Well, I fell in love with the braking on my friends Dura ace equipped bike, so much so that I want to buy a pair, paint them black, and throw them in with my SR11 group set. What makes this situation even worse is that fact that I live in Campagnolo world. Vicenza, Italy. Literally on the same road as their factory. Despite this, I am full willing to commit this horrendous act to bring my braking performance on par with his complete 7900 bike. Should I do it? Should I slam my face into my desk, shut up and ride on?

Aside from your heresy, are you sure that the set up is not the reason your "friend's" brakes feel better?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:43 am 

Go for it, I think it's a cool idea. If you are good with paint then a screenprinted white Prototypo would keep your local friends guessing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:35 am 

Could be. My bike has more miles then his set up does, that could play a role as well. We used to run the same wheels, I however, Just made an upgrade to a full carbon wheel. So that will dramatically change the feel from what I hear. That is partly what sparked my quest for better braking…

ultimobici wrote:
seanblurr wrote:

Aside from your heresy, are you sure that the set up is not the reason your "friend's" brakes feel better?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:21 pm 

seanblurr wrote:
What makes this situation even worse is that fact that I live in Campagnolo world. Vicenza, Italy. Literally on the same road as their factory. :

not sure you should attempt to go that route. change the pads and see if that helps…or get an aftermarket brake like EE Cycleworks…which i love on both of my bikes (one campy and the other shimano).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:48 pm 

Nope. I think you'll find that Campagnolo and Shimano both pull different cable rates for shifting and braking.

I am a bit surprised about the cause of your question, though. I actually prefer the Campagnolo lever feel, although the Shimano is plenty powerful. I find that Campagnolo is better for me from the 'hoods.

If you do try it, make sure you report back and post pics...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:29 pm 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Do the Malaysian brakes actuate on cartridge bearings like Record/SR?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:49 pm 

seanblurr wrote:

...Should I do it? Should I slam my face into my desk, shut up and ride on?

Thoughts?

The second... slam it and shut up. (you gave a choice, I chose the second) :noidea:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:27 am 
Administrator

Moved to road.

Follow me on twitter. I try to be interesting ;)
On Facebook!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:40 am 

seanblurr wrote:
Could be. My bike has more miles then his set up does, that could play a role as well. We used to run the same wheels, I however, Just made an upgrade to a full carbon wheel. So that will dramatically change the feel from what I hear. That is partly what sparked my quest for better braking…

ultimobici wrote:
seanblurr wrote:

Carbon wheels will make a massive negative difference to braking performance compared to an aluminium braking surface. It makes the brakes feel more sluggish. Did you put on carbon specific pads when you changed wheels? If you didn't try that and see if that feels better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 pm 

I will. Haven't put the new wheels on yet. The caparison was made with the same Cosmic SL wheels. Stock pads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:28 pm 

The braking will be much mushier and more powerful with less wheel clearance than a full 7900 setup. The 7900 is 1:4 pull ratio, Campagnolo is closer to 1:3. 7900 levers with Campy brakes would give you a firmer lever feel, more clearance and less braking power.

So short answer you will get mushy but powerful braking. It will not feel like your friends brakes.

Mountainbike
Van Nicholas Zion Ti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:32 pm 

If you think 7900 brakes are good, wait til you try 9000 ;)

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:32 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:55 pm 

Looks like people have yet to understand how to set up brakes and why braking feels different from rim and pad type used. :noidea:
DA and Campy all can have the same reliable braking if you understand what you are doing.
I have Gravity, Shimano and Campy and they are all set up to brake the same way except for the center pull c-records. Those are totally designed differently but I have them set up to feel similar to the regular campy brakes. They are equipped with KoolStop brake pads for better braking over the original brake pads.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Go to page 1, 2  Next