Scott foil size question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deska

by deska

Hello i'm thinking about buying new frame but dont know what size i better for me .Right now im riding scott cr1 size 58XL from 2011 but i feel that bike is a little to small for me im 189 cm rider and i think xxl scott foil is better for me ,but seller told me that xl is better for me.

maybe someone with similar height have xxl foil or maybe xl is rly better for me

thx waiting for reply :)
/sry for bad english :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

So you're about to drop some pretty serious cash on a frame that you have no idea if it will work for you or not? Doesn't sound like a great business decision to me… You really only have two choices, either you find a fitter and spend a little money before you buy, but then you know for sure if the Foil geometry works for you and if so, what size you need. Or you can guess, with the hopes that the one you buy can work ok…

Height is a really poor indicator of fit… if you look at a fitting session, you add measurements such as lower & upper leg length, upper body length, arm length; then you add flexibility and core strength. And that's only the measurements, factors such as current/previous injuries/issues, types of riding/racing, distance, terrain, "riding style", etc. etc. etc. heavily influences fit. Then in a dynamic fit, you also track joint/body movement and adjust accordingly.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

JBV

by JBV

audiojan is correct, your best bet would be getting a real fit on the current bike, using that information (and discussion with the fitter), to decide on frame size for a new bike. I'm a professional fitter, and people do that with me regularly. We look up different geometries to decide if a specific frame in a specific size will work for them, or if there's a better option. I'm also not a bike shop and I don't work for one, so I'm not influenced by what frame I'd rather sell.

That being said, I'm only 186cm and I ride a 58cm Foil with either a 12 or 13 stem. I ride a pretty stretched out racing position (11cm drop, 61.5cm reach). If I were just a bit taller I'd need the bigger size Foil for sure. You're 3cm taller. Another factor is that CR1's have longer head tubes than Foils. So going to a 58cm Foil will mean a shorter head tube than you currently have. My point is, I'm finding it hard to believe a 58 will be appropriate for someone your size.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Here is how I would be set up on the bikes in question (I'm 193cm)

As JBV mentioned - Foil is quite a bit lower - which could be a problem if you have a lot of spacers on your current bike. But if you have no spacers under the stem on the CR1 then the Foil could give you more room to manoeuver.

deska

by deska

Thx for help guys i have alot of spacers under my steam now so i think xxl will better i will post photo of my cr1 later so you will se my riding position

again thx for reply :D

neeb

by neeb

JBV wrote:Another factor is that CR1's have longer head tubes than Foils.

The Foil however has an unusually long fork (379mm), so this may cancel out depending on whether the CR1 also has a long fork (most bikes have fork lengths around 368mm).

deska

by deska

Here is link to my cr1 photo so as you see alot of spacers :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/11478190 ... 8782311921

audiojan

by audiojan

Looking at that picture, I wonder if there's not another brand/model that could be better for you…
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Sqzdachrmn

by Sqzdachrmn

Why not the Giant, velo loved it and they make the foil.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Propel is lower/longer than XXL Foil so not a good fit option.

Fiery

by Fiery

What size is that stem? 120? 130?

Foil is definitely not the right geometry for you. XXL CR1 might be a better fit than XL, or you might want to look into Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse or a Cervélo.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I´m 1.96 and and XXL Foil fits me perfectly. It looks too big for you with your measurements.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

DMF

by DMF

Also, all fitting a side, CR1 is a leisure bike, and pretty far off towards the audax end of that. The Foil is a totally different beast, it's a race bike and pretty far off towards the criterium side of that.

It's not just looks and geometry, it's how it rides. So I'm just gonna be blunt, I'm fairly certain the foil will chew you up, spit you out, and you will hate it.

All accounts tell it's one if the harshest, most bone-shattering rides out there, and if you sit straight up riding, all the more weight will be on the seat and all the more you will feel of this.

This bike rewards sprinters and punishes everyone else. Now, are you a sprinter or do you just think the frame looks cool?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

Well, I'm not so sure. The OP hasn't told us anything about his riding style/preferences, and the setup of the bike in the photo is not unaggressive, it just happens to have a lot of spacers because the frame is too small. Looks like there is still a decent saddle-to-bar drop, although with oblique shots with wide-angle lenses it can be hard to tell...

I've just bought a Foil and I don't find the ride harsh or bone-shattering at all. I was expecting it to be, but it doesn't seem any harsher than about 50% of the other bikes I've ridden, I don't understand where those reviewers who say it is harsh are coming from. Admittedly I tend to run aluminium seat posts on my other bikes, so perhaps I am just used to relatively harsh rides (the Foil has a dedicated carbon post but because of the truncated aero profile it is quite stiff). I don't find the front end / fork any stiffer than many other bikes I've ridden.