Colnago C60 when will it be?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Have had verbal notification of the C60 available to us from Mar/Apr 2014

To that end, we are opening our order book for them now, so that customers can get themselves in the queue!

Will post colour schemes as soon as we have them
Expecting prices to start around the £5k mark for Ultegra 6800 spec
And around £9k mark for Super Record EPS with BU2 wheels

regards
ianSWBB

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

post pics or it didnt happen :smartass:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Even I wouldn't place an order for a frame I'd never even seen or had official word on how it differs from the C59. Is it lugged, even? I'll bet at some point Colnago will not be producing any more lugged frames and ALL production will be outside of Italy. Seems like a C60 might be the appropriate transition model. Next year sometime would be the logical expectation for a release of a C60, but they've already made a couple changes for the 2014 C59's, which I suspect might be incorporated into the C60, otherwise I don't think they would have made the changes just for a few months of production. New fork, New stays maybe. Cosmetic stuff here and there. Let's at least see some pics first.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

other then paint, what is different on the 2-14 C59?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They supposedly have more clearance under the fork crown and seat stays. That'd be nice because although I'm running some 25mm Veloflex Arenbergs and Roubaixs, the clearance is minimal under the fork. I've also heard they've "beefed up" the stays a bit but I don't know what that means. And I'm not sure if the fork is completely new or if they are just shaving some material out of the crown area to give a bit more clearance. The other thing is that there is no more electric only or mechanical only. It will be a one frame for both which is kind of a compromise since no matter which option you choose you will have unused holes somewhere on the frame that get little plugs I presume. Haven't seen one or heard anything official yet but a buddy has got one on order and as soon as it arrives I'll compare the differences (that you can see) in more detail.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

legs 11

by legs 11

Is it likely the C60 will also be made in the far east?
Given the way they seem to have gradually moved their production I wouldn't be suprised at all.
Maybe made in the east, packaged and painted in Italy, then labelled as 'Made in Italy' similar to some of the other Italian marques ie. Bianchi etc.
I have heard rumours from good friends, who have relations that worked in the Cambiago site that all production is being systematically closed down. :noidea: :(
It'd be a sad day if that's true, and TBH given the way its gone until now, I wouldn't be suprised at all.
Pedalling Law Student.

Mccaria

by Mccaria

The obvious difference 2014 c59 to previous is the ability to go mechanical or electric on one frame. I actually think they have done a good job, I have built mine up mechanical and the unutilised electric bits are pretty unobtrusive.
They have also changed the headset to an Acros version. They are quite tidy but don't allow for spacers above the stem, so you have to be pretty sure of the fork length you want to use. If you are unsure of number of spacers needed it maybe worth changing the headset to the 2013 version.

Other than that they look pretty similar. Haven't looked too closely at clearance as I am running all mine with 23mm tyres.

The one rumour on the c60 which would be a bad move for me is that they may move away from the BSA BB, would be interested to know if that is correct. I have tried a few frames with press fit style BB and still much prefer the BSA.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

We've got some 2014 C59 in the workshop at the moment

Calnago - yes, there are unused holes and plugs
But Colnago are behind in time with every model, so this new dual compatible frameset is designed for external electronic, with a holder underneath the downtube near the BB, rather than an all internal system

As soon as I get further info and pics of the C60, I'll post here for all to see

regards
ianSWBB

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Any idea if the C60 is going to be a "full-line" like the c40, c50, and c59...or is there a possibility that it will be just a small run in 2014 of "numbered" or "limited" frames sold for $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I hope the former...

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

carbon2329

It is planned to be a "full line" for 2014, but limited on the first run due Mar/Apr

regards
ianSWBB

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ianSWBB wrote:We've got some 2014 C59 in the workshop at the moment

Calnago - yes, there are unused holes and plugs
But Colnago are behind in time with every model, so this new dual compatible frameset is designed for external electronic, with a holder underneath the downtube near the BB, rather than an all internal system

As soon as I get further info and pics of the C60, I'll post here for all to see

regards
ianSWBB

@ianswbb: Since you have some of the 2014 C59's in the shop, would it be possible if you have a wheel with a 25mm tubular on it, or any wheel with any tire for that matter, to drop it in the fork of both an exsiting C59 and the 2014 C59 and tell us how much more clearance there appears to be. With a 25mm Veloflex Arrenberg/Roubaix, I have about 1mm of clearance on existing C59's and while it works fine, I'm kinda waiting to see what happens the first time a larger piece of debris or rock chip wants to wedge itself in there. I'm not expecting any inside crown of a fork to remain free of scratches etc., but I am very curious to know just how much more clearance the new ones have, and whether or not it's a completely new fork?

Thanks!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

legs 11 wrote:Is it likely the C60 will also be made in the far east?
Given the way they seem to have gradually moved their production I wouldn't be suprised at all.
Maybe made in the east, packaged and painted in Italy, then labelled as 'Made in Italy' similar to some of the other Italian marques ie. Bianchi etc.
I have heard rumours from good friends, who have relations that worked in the Cambiago site that all production is being systematically closed down. :noidea: :(
It'd be a sad day if that's true, and TBH given the way its gone until now, I wouldn't be suprised at all.

@Leggs: No idea where the C60 would be made if they make it, but like you, I wouldn't be surprised if ALL production in Italy is being phased out. There's been a lot of talk about the subtle changes and some not so subtle, like the switch to a pressfit bottom bracket. Now that Campy has introduced Overtorque I suppose I'm not so concerned about that although I still vastly prefer the standard threaded bb shells. But time marches on, for better or worse.

And while I've not heard any rumor or anything official, it's just my gut feel... but at some point I think there will be no more lugged Colnagos as well, and it seems the timing is logical to make that change with the C60 if they want to continue tradition of introducing a significant change to their flagship models every decade or so. I could be completely wrong on this however. If they do abandon the lugged frames in favor of molded frames, I at least hope they introduce the odd size frames as well, like a 57s, instead of having to choose between a 56s or 58s. One of the niceties of the C59 is you can get the incremental sizes and not only have it fit perfectly, but get a perfectly balanced frame as well, versus a perfect "fit" but a wheelbase or headtube that is a bit too long or too short. That may be too much to ask though, in the age of fewer sizes to keep costs of manufacture and distribution down.

mriddle

by mriddle

Massive speculation running a muck....
The entire thread.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Of course it's speculation. No ones denying it. That's what this entire thread is. But I think people have been good about qualifying their speculation as just that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAFERACER

by CAFERACER