Colnago C60 when will it be?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinozee

by tinozee

see pic on pg 2

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

tinozee wrote:Too bad to hear about traditional geo going away for C60. Sloping geo is gross in large sizes! C59 in traditional geo is a thing of beauty.

Also, is this nephew responsible for the new logo? Can they make him an accountant or something else? If that new logo version makes it onto the new round of frames it's off my list.

Agreed that the sloping large sizes are rather ugly. And as far as your statement about whether the nephew is responsible for the new logo... lol All I can say is... "Kids these days".

Regarding the "new logo"... you don't really mean a completely new logo do you? I think you were referring to the outlined font? But I'm not sure. If there's an actual new logo as in a new "Club" design, I wasn't aware of that.

A friend should be receiving a 2014 C59 very soon. I am anxious to compare the differences in the front fork and rear stays compared to the current version. He will likely be enlisting my help for the build so I will take comparative pics of current versus new and post them when I do.

As for the disc brake versions... yes, doubt those would ever be made to accommodate rims brakes as well, although it would seem easy enough to do even with the different rear dropout spacing albeit quite ugly since you'd have to keep the rear seat stay bridge and have a hole in the top of the fork crown which would be plugged if not using the rim brakes. Also, the brake cable routing and/or guides would be different.

Anyway, the C59 was such a hit when it came out and kind of revived Colnago enthusiasm, which I believe was fading prior to it's introduction. If they don't hit a home run with the C60, then it's lights out for Colnago. Or at least it will be relegated to "just another bike".

I will say that, even though I'm not a fan of disc brakes on road bikes, if I ever was to go that way, Colnago is doing it right. Part of the problem with disc brakes on road bikes is, and will be, heat build up. To try and mitigate this, Colnago's forks for their disc braked C59 has an aluminum insert running up the fork which is intended to allow the heat generated at the disc to be better dissipated, since carbon itself is a very poor conductor of heat. I don't know if this technology is actually even mentioned on their website or anything. Perhaps they feel that it might bring more attention to the fact that heat buildup is a very real issue, which they'd rather just quietly avoid and try to quietly engineer it away. I doubt that generic carbon forks from other manufacturers have such a heat dissipating insert within their forks. Time will tell I guess.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

showdown

by showdown

We're a Colnago-sponsored team and when in the uniform-design process we were informed by Colnago no NOT use the new font seen on the C59 Mapei paint scheme. We were told that this is not for brand-wide use...at least not yet.

A bunch of us have C59's en route and a few 2014's already arrived and though we haven't compared them side-by-side to the '13 C59's there don't appear to be any revolutionary changes, only evolutionary such as one frame for both electronic and mechanical groupsets with grommet inserts for the unused entry points. The C59 disc, of course has changes to accommodate disc brakes but none of us are racing them (Chicago doesn't exactly have mountain descents about which to worry!)

caballero

by caballero

One of the bigger bike stores here in osaka Japan apparently has a sample c60 frame. I'm a bit skeptical but I'm gonna drop by on Thursday and snoop around. Ill have my cell phone camera on stand by to snap some pics if its indeed there....

barsook77

by barsook77

When will it be?

Well ... since they can't even meet the demand for the C59, I would say it is down the road a bit. Ordered a C59 WITHOUT the extra holes drilled in it for the electronic kit and waited 3 months. They didn't supply enough sloping frames to the US market, thus we all had to wait.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

SalsaLover wrote:
mpower wrote:Can you post some photos of this dual use 2014 C59 frame?

Colnago C59 Italia 2014 frameset at twohubs.com - YouTube

I ride c-59 mechanical and 'philosophically' opposed to electronic. The bike does not need stiffening.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Velonutter, at the risk of derailing this topic for a second, what exactly did you prefer with Campag EPS over, say Campy mechanical SR? Or, if not SR, what are you comparing to? How long have you had it? I've ridden both, a perfectly adjusted and not worn out mechanical SR, and a perfectly adjusted EPS. I prefer the mechanical. I feel I have more control with it. I can "throw it around" so to speak. Faster, in fact, than I could with EPS. And I know where it's going to land. And it's easier to get out of trouble, should it ever happen. Just curious. So far, there is no compelling reason for me to go to electric. And, I still think the clean lines of the mechanical looks so much better. Really hate the looks of the harness wiring up front... to me it still looks like the anti-theft tag hasn't been removed when you left the checkout at Walmart. Not knocking those who prefer electric, but I'd like to know why. Sometimes, it's not so much the change to electric as the change to a NEW group, that isn't all worn out, with a worn cassette and loose chain, for example, that makes people think it's better. I'm running into more and more early adopters of electric who, after having had a good go with it, have now gone back to mechanical. For much the same reasons I state... it was kinda cool at first, but didn't really do anything better, and when it comes to bicycles... simpler is often nicer.

And please, I only post this question here because I just saw @Velonutter's post. I realize there's lots of threads discussing the virtues of electric vs mechanical. Just would like to hear @Velonutter's thoughts. Thx.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Velonutter

by Velonutter

No Probs Calnago, if you are in the Midlands and would like to try my C59's then you are more than Welcome.

I am fortunate, I was left some money by my late Mum, so I bought my first C59 a 150th Anniversary edition in 2012, I really debated whether to go manual or EPS but having not tried the EPS I went the manual route with Super Record, loved the frame but didn't want to ride it in bad weather so I bought a CX-1 frame cheap and in between time I had acquired an Record EPS Partial Groupset, so I thought I would use this frame to experiment with and see how difficult the technical side was.

A mate of mine who is a die hard Shimarso (sic) user had an interest to see how easy it was to install, so one wet Sunday PM we installed it, I used the bike on the turbo as the weather was horrible and loved it, it was like you only had to think about what gear you wanted and your little finger put you in the right gear.

Now I always cross my chains, always have and probably always will but what I discovered was that changing gears on the front mech was as fast as changing the rear, it was so smooth and effortless.

I own two rescue Boxers and when my daughter came in one day from taking them for a walk she hooked the girls leads on the shifters whilst she went to get a cloth to clean their feet, they spooked and ran up the hallway, taking my CX-1 mounted on the turbo with it and the top tube smashed on the stairs corner, writing off the frame.

The insurance company tried to get a replacement in the right colour and one that would take Manual and Electronic like the CX-1 after a fruitless few weeks they gave up and agreed to replace the frame with a C59 Europcar version that I had found, this was EPS only.

I built the frame up initially with Record in November 2012, then upgraded it to Super Record and was in love, I do some big miles and whilst doing my training for last years 400 mile L2P ride I used it regularly, it proved exceptional reliable, the battery charge lasted a couple of months, didn't need adjusting and was just so smooth.

I cursed myself for not buying my 150th Anniversary C59 in Electronic and even contacted Colnago to see if they could convert the frame (They wouldn't).

I also had a 2012 Cervelo R5 VWD, it had to be replaced under warranty and I vowed that when I got the replacement I would just sell it and replace with a 2013 M10 which was dual. I built that up with the Record EPS that I had taken of the Europcar and again they proved to be super smooth and reliable as well.

I think it is just the speed and smoothness of changes both front and rear, like when you have just done a big climb as soon as you are at the top you can change from bottom gear to top in less than a second it really is that quick.

I would guess that on the EPS bikes I have done about 4000 Miles, the remaining being done on my manual frames.

You never have to worry about a failure as the fail safe is that you just push the rear mech into the desired gear and it will get you home.

If you haven't tried it then you need to.

Hope this helps?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thx. Glad you like it. Yes, I have tried it. I felt the speed I could shift into any combination was equally fast if not faster with mechanical. Granted, if it's not perfectly set up then the electric may seem better because it probably is easier to set up right in the first place. But I didn't notice any advantage speed or otherwise and actually preferred the "feel" of mechanical. Plus, like the other poster I am philosophically opposed to it, but not so much that I wouldn't adopt it if it was clearly better. To me, at least at this point, it isn't. To each his own I guess.
Ok, apologies for the slight derailment off topic. Back to waiting to see what the C60 will bring...

Velonutter

by Velonutter

No probs Calnago. it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing?

I see you also have an EPQ, how much different is that to the C59 and do you think they will keep it going when the C60 comes out as Colnago don't advertise the EPQ on their website?

markyboy

by markyboy

I was going to wait and see what the c60 was going to be before I ordered it,so ordered a c59 ad10 should be here soon.
If I like the c60 then hopefully place an order.
Ps I am on my second c59 and love it.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Velonutter: the EPQ was a very short production run. Basically using up some leftover tubes from the EPS and combining it with the C59 rear end, fork and lugs. Very little difference really... the EPQ has a round sectioned downtube with a reinforcing ribs running longitudinally internally whereas the C59 is externally shaped and has a single flat piece of carbon running trough the downtube. The top tube of the EPQ is basically an EPS top tube which has been reworked to fit the C59 seat cluster lug. Can't really notice a difference in ride qualities. I have kind of a one off paint job which has the darts on the fork and rear stays and no EPQ logos anywhere. It is really a classic looking timeless frame. A keeper. Looks equally good with Boras or 32 spoke classic box section rims. Love this bike.

Velonutter

by Velonutter

Cheers Calnago, so does that mean the EPS/EPQ are now dead and no longer produced?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes. The EPS had a good run although I never really warmed up to the "bayleaf" chainstays or the "swirly" paint schemes. The EPQ was only produced in the blink of an eye with a hasty little marketing blurb which made me laugh. When in truth the reason for its existence was that "hey, we've got some left over EPS top and down tubes but not enough stays etc to keep producing them so lets just stick them in some of the new C59 lugs and get rid of the things". Regardless of the reasoning, it's the nicest bike I currently own.

ColnagoEPQ

by ColnagoEPQ

I ordered an EPS and received an EPQ instead. It is a fine bicycle. I found a NOS EPS and had it painted Saronni Red with no carbon highlights. I still like the look of the EPS more than the EPQ. The chain stays and seat stays on the EPS look to be in balance with the size of the main tubes of the frame. I want to try a Campagnolo electronic group and expect that the C60 will be the frame I choose. I am anxious to see how Colnago has implemented a non-threaded bottom bracket before placing an order.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com