Trek 7 Series 58 or 60 or maybe a Domane

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

upside

by upside

If someone could help me with a dilema, I would appreciate it. I work in a bike shop that is a Trek dealer, so I want to stay with them. I have been riding a Trek Madone 7 Series for the season and am pondering if I could ride a 60. The reason for considering a 60 is the headtube is 2cm taller and it is hard for me to run a aggressive set-up. The reach numbers between the 2 frame is quite small. The 58 is 40.6 and the 60 is 40.9, so it seems quite small unless I am missing something.
I could go to the Domane which is a thought, but I am waiting for the team frames which have a steeper heatube and longer top tube.
Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The Domane's are only available H3, unless you get a "Team" frame, which is H1, but is only available in a size 54. The difference between the two frames sizes (Madone) is 1.2cm (12mm). You could make up the difference in frame size by running a longer stem, or you could make up the height difference on the 58 by running more spacers beneath the stem. I know many on here are of the "slam the stem" mentality, but I disagree with that, unless your fit allows you.

On the other hand, the 60cm Domane has a smaller effective top tube (57.9 vs 58.6) and shorter reach (38.3 vs 39.5), so that may fit you better in the 60cm size. Either way, both bikes are great.

fa63

by fa63

The reach number doesn't take the spacers into account, so by the time you factor in those and the HTA the difference in reach is probably a bit more between the two sizes. What length stem and how many spacers do you run on the 58?

upside

by upside

Thanks.. I have all the spacers in and a 100mm stem. I think the 60 will give me the taller head tube without having the reach being to far different. My saddle is also all the way back, I don't if that matters.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If you're going to run a 100mm stem on a 58, I would not go with a 60. My experience is that the shorter stems make the bike twitchy and harder to handle.

upside

by upside

I think I am going to the Domane Pro Fit frame.. have all the geo numbers and that may be my best bet. Thanks for all the help.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

if you fit on a 54, good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

Actually, they will have sizes 54-62 as those are the sizes they build for the team. It is 250 frames and I am just waiting on confirmation whether they will be in Project One. I"ll let you know how it goes.