HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 pm 

FIJIGabe wrote:
My wife doesn't want me riding on certain roads where I live. A combination of past experiences (two crashes on that stretch) and high speeds (65-70mph). She wants to know if I've ridden there

Can't she just ask you, and you'd answer honestly?

More to the point. You all can keep coming up with reasons why the "tracking" function is better on a Garmin, I'm not going to dispute that, it's more feature rich - there's no point in disputing that. But, I replied to a comment that was basic/general about tracking, and that is a function that can be done elsewhere. That either satisfies your requirements or it doesn't. It happens to work just fine for me, it also satisfies my wife's needs. I'm 100% sure she doesn't care what my cadence or power output is - I'm either moving, or I'm not. Whether you need other features to justify your purchase, or you truly need them, that's fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:36 pm 

I think as noted above the better GPS function of the 510 over the 500 makes the small price jump well worth it. Not to mention the other features you get as a bonus. The 500 has a horrible time keeping a GPS signal in tree covered areas and in the mountains.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:36 pm 
  • Garmin Edge 810
  • 579.00 €   from 349.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • in stock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:38 pm 

Does anyone know why GLONASS wasn't brought to the 810?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 am 

yup.

YMMV. if you think you need the live tracking, slightly better GPS chip ( I don't, the od ones work fine for me.) then sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:44 am 

I wouldn't call the 510 GPS chip only slightly better than the 500. It is a night and day difference. I have used both and currently run the 510. Speed of connection, strength of signal, lack of signal being dropped during your ride and the increased quality of data is a huge improvement imo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:41 am 

My experience on the Edge 500 was never buy brand new Garmin technology unless you like weekly firmware updates and crashes. However, it must be said that the Edge 800 I have now is rock solid and crashed twice in 3 years. If you have the money then buy the 810, otherwise the 800 works fine.

Another few computers to look at would be:
1) Wahoo Reflektr - enables you to stow your iphone in your pocket and "reflects" the key info shown on the iphone. Neat, since the iphone doesn't like water.
2) Powertap Joule GPS - doesn't navigate, but records your ride for later map review. Since I mostly use my iphone map when properly lost owing to a vastly better map (size, zoomability, resolution, screen colours) than the Edge 800, this is not such a big deal. But I'd only buy it if significantly cheaper than the Edge.
3) Bryton - Personally I wouldn't bother. Why buy the clone when you can get the real thing? likely the Brytons are a bit less developed and so any cost saving is outweighed by possible hassles.

For a detailed review of these and many others go to dcrainmaker.com - truly an excellent resource.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:40 pm 

Garmin GPS sucks

I must say I was in the market for a GPS computer recently, checked out Garmin 800 series (too big) and 500 series. When I looked at the 510 gps readings from a friends mountainbike route I was AMAZED at the INACCURACY of it!!! He did 4 loops of the exact same trail (single-track no less) for a race. When we looked at the plotted lines of the "mapping" function --- Hoolly COW! They were ALL OFF by no LESS than 50-200 feet per line!!!! It was 4 distinct lines that varied completely fro each other despite the trail being less than a foot wide!!! What a piece of shittte!

I would never buy a GPS computer now given what I saw. Save the money, buy a nice Assos jacket or a new set pedals or a few bottle of great wine. SCREW Garmin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:16 am 

Garmin GPS doesn't work well in wooded mountain bike trails in new york? You don't say. Clearly the device must be garbage.
Run your iphone GPS on the same course and see the results it gives you. GPS isn't magic, there's a radio signal traveling from 12000 miles away. Obviously obstructions will mess with the reception strength. That's why your radio goes out under a bridge, except your radio station is located 2-3 orders of magnitude closer than a GPS satellite.
Now a dedicated GPS device like a garmin is going to do WAY better than the one embedded in your smartphone, because it doesn't have the additional noise of all the other components running in the background. A device with GLONASS will do even better than that. Your secondhand one-time anecdotal experience seems at odds with the THOUSANDS of strava users who seem to do just fine tracking their progress.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:45 am 

gitsome, I will say from my experience with the 510 unit I have had none of those issues you mention. However, I don't ride MTB but I do ride under cover of trees much of the time as well as through short tunnels and under highway overpasses. My 510 has been spot on and I put that on the unit using GPS and GLONASS.

I couldn't speak more highly of the 510. The best gps bike computer I have used. Not sure what else in the market I would pick over it (personally don't need the map features the 810 offers over the 510).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:10 am 

kulivontot wrote:
Garmin GPS doesn't work well in wooded mountain bike trails in new york? You don't say. Clearly the device must be garbage.
Run your iphone GPS on the same course and see the results it gives you. GPS isn't magic, there's a radio signal traveling from 12000 miles away. Obviously obstructions will mess with the reception strength. That's why your radio goes out under a bridge, except your radio station is located 2-3 orders of magnitude closer than a GPS satellite.
Now a dedicated GPS device like a garmin is going to do WAY better than the one embedded in your smartphone, because it doesn't have the additional noise of all the other components running in the background. A device with GLONASS will do even better than that. Your secondhand one-time anecdotal experience seems at odds with the THOUSANDS of strava users who seem to do just fine tracking their progress.

Well...Considering New York is one of the MOST highly covered areas in the United States and the MTB course was close the city and not highly wooded (there was never a loss of signal or course only a wide variance of tracking off by more than 200 ft at many places) I would expect the 510 to register far more accurately given its dual satellite capacity and supposed specialization for just this type of usage. It failed miserably and even the owner was embarrassed (he was a bike shop owner) when we looked closely at the results which he admitted he had not really paid much attention to as far as accuracy. Like most users he just assumed it was accurate because Garmin said so on the box and the website.

And I would imagine that very few people bother to verify the accuracy of their Garmin's and Strava info, 99 pct take whats given them and don't question it. See thewashingmachinepost blog about all this if you don't believe me. The GPS and whatever Russian crap-sats are being used are not accurate even close to what users hope for and some here seem to believe with such vehemence.

But hey its your money not mine..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:22 am 

I'm gonna give these a go. I already look ridiculous in spandex so might as well go all out.
http://jet.reconinstruments.com/

Last edited by yubbers on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:24 am 

Awesome yubbers, thanks for sharing. Always wanted something like that. Seriously. :D.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:27 am 

Fantastic, Now that I'm sure can't fail.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:30 am 

Agree with a lot of what gitsome is saying. Just because thousands of strava users track their rides with it doesn't, in anyway, prove accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:33 am 

The music in the video is serious business! :p
I'm an android nerd too so it hits 2 hobbies

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:33 am 
  • Garmin Edge 810
  • 579.00 €   from 349.90 € (including 19% VAT)
  • in stock

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next