Good alternative to Garmin Edge 810?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Gitsome, We got your point. The issue if have is that you've extrapolated your one single data point into making misleading broad generalizations. If you can't recognize that n=1 sample size is inadequate to indicate a trend, I really don't know what to tell you. Unless you're going to suggest an actual alternative GPS unit for the op, please just stay out of the discussion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

paulm2322

by paulm2322

I just want to ask a random question regarding following turn by turn GPS planned route. I devised a loop on my computer and uploaded it to my 810. When I try and follow it, the 810 keeps telling me I'm off course and to turn around. This happens a few seconds into the ride. The start and end points are from my house. Any help much appreciated.

For the thread, other than this problem, I'm very happy with my 810.
You can't 'out train' a bad diet : )

rijndael

by rijndael

What's your setting for: Lock on Road

53x12

by 53x12

I have done turn by turn a few times on my 510. If you don't have the turn completely correct (in that turn is shown 10-15 after turnoff/intersection) it will do what you are describing. So I have been more careful on the computer when doing a route. However, my 510 will eventually stop stating you are off course once you keep going on the pre-planned route. Usually takes my 510 100-200 feet of being on the right route for that notice to stop. Hope that helps.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

paulm2322

by paulm2322

rijndael wrote:What's your setting for: Lock on Road

It was set to no. I've selected yes now. Is this correct? Thanks

paulm2322

by paulm2322

53x12 wrote:I have done turn by turn a few times on my 510. If you don't have the turn completely correct (in that turn is shown 10-15 after turnoff/intersection) it will do what you are describing. So I have been more careful on the computer when doing a route. However, my 510 will eventually stop stating you are off course once you keep going on the pre-planned route. Usually takes my 510 100-200 feet of being on the right route for that notice to stop. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice.

rijndael

by rijndael

paulm2322 wrote:It was set to no. I've selected yes now. Is this correct? Thanks
I've had better results my 800 it set to Yes.

paulm2322

by paulm2322

rijndael wrote:
paulm2322 wrote:It was set to no. I've selected yes now. Is this correct? Thanks
I've had better results my 800 it set to Yes.

Hopefully that might solve it. I'll let you know. Thank you.

gitsome

by gitsome

kulivontot wrote:Gitsome, We got your point. The issue if have is that you've extrapolated your one single data point into making misleading broad generalizations. If you can't recognize that n=1 sample size is inadequate to indicate a trend, I really don't know what to tell you. Unless you're going to suggest an actual alternative GPS unit for the op, please just stay out of the discussion.

All I ever did was voice an opinion of dissent which was then challenged and twisted around on me for the last 6 pages of this thread to the point where certain people accused me of lying and being full of shit which I have a right to defend against. I never intended more than 1 posting, and my suggestion to the OP is to save his money and buy a cheaper non-GPS unit as I already said. So don't give me shit please I think I've been at least as constructive as you despite the insults.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

53x12

by 53x12

Gitsome, can you write a post without swearing?

You made a statement that I didn't agree with and refuted. I'm allowed to don't that, no? You claimed how it needed 4 satellites to be accurate. I showed how I get 6 in my basement. You said it isn't more accurate than 50-200 feet. I showed you <15 feet outside. You made a lot of claims that I have since stated haven't been anything I have experienced. Then you failed to give a better recommendation for those that need power. Then you used a old online article believing that was when GLONASS first started. Too many fails to follow.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

gitsome

by gitsome

Swearing was directed at me I am merely repeating the words directed at me.. What is it with 2 of you who are determined to give me a hard time? Do you have nothing else to do?
And because my experience and observation don't jibe with yours I have less a right to post them than you?? What gives?

The words hypocrite comes to mind in capital letters. You should re-read your replies.

53x12

by 53x12

No one said you have less of a right to post. Just not sure why you have to swear in just about each reply as if you are constipated and on the toilet trying to relieve yourself. You can perfectly represent your thoughts and opinions without that. Or maybe you can't?

People are just calling you out for misleading and questionable understanding of GPS. As is our prerogative. You still haven't shown any data to support your assertion except for some outdated 6 year old article.

gitsome

by gitsome

I swore in every reply?? What are you talking about?? I was sworn AT and repeated it to demonstrate how I am being treated. And your last message is another example of the insulting tone YOU have taken with ME> "...as if you are constipated and on the toilet trying to relieve yourself."" Have I said that to YOU? No, but you somehow feel justified saying that to me. Amazing

Who is insulting whom??

I gave my opinion based on observation. Thats all. I said save your money its not worth it.

The rest has been response to you mostly due to your insults. And I don't see any more relevant data offered by you than --in my opinion its good- you seem incredibly hypocritical.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

53x12 -you can't stand the fact I don't think Garmin is worth the money, why don't you just let it go at that and drop it? There is no need to constantly insult me or twist my words around to suit your hypocrisy. Just let it go.