Good alternative to Garmin Edge 810?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

gitsome, nice job linking to an article that is almost 6 years old. That is almost an eternity in technology circles. Sheeesh.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Good article on differences between GPS vs GLONASS and benefit of having both.

http://m.electronicdesign.com/test-amp-measurement/real-world-drive-tests-declare-verdict-gpsglonass
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

gitsome

by gitsome

53x12 wrote:gitsome, nice job linking to an article that is almost 6 years old. That is almost an eternity in technology circles. Sheeesh.

And when do you think the Glonass satellites were launched??? Genius, thats the whole point. Its a shitty system that hasn't worked since it was launched 6 years ago. The last 5 rockets have all exploded on the launchpad. What do you think?
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

gitsome

by gitsome

Its amazing how stubborn people are once they've spent money they can't be objective and rather bury heads deeper in the sand.

gitsome

by gitsome

53x12 wrote:Good article on differences between GPS vs GLONASS and benefit of having both.

http://m.electronicdesign.com/test-amp-measurement/real-world-drive-tests-declare-verdict-gpsglonass

And this article itself states that you need UNOBSCURED SIGNAL FROM AT LEAST 4 SATELLITES for it tot work and they had to go to some remote location to achieve this, otherwise the signals are al too poor to be considered for the test. So lets see. Under remote, perfect conditions they work mostly, great test.

53x12

by 53x12

gitsome wrote:And when do you think the Glonass satellites were launched??? Genius, thats the whole point. Its a shitty system that hasn't worked since it was launched 6 years ago. The last 5 rockets have all exploded on the launchpad. What do you think?

Please stop. Russia first launched GLONASS satellites during the 1980s and they finished their constellation of satellites in 1995. During the 2000s Putin made it a priority to improve on the system and by 2011 Russia had completely restored the 24 units so now there is full global coverage. However the orbits of GLONASS still suit it better for high latitudes where GPS sometimes fails because of its orbit.

gitsome

by gitsome

And yet they were all off by 50-200 ft in a well-covered area, so if you like your data to be that far off go for it. But that can easily be the difference between 1-5 mph or more, 1-10 miles distance, etc etc.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

gitsome, great job trolling a perfectly good thread that was informative with people's experiences with the units. I think you fail to understand the basic principles of GPS units and their purpose.

gitsome

by gitsome

How a I trolling? Because my opinion differs from the rest?? Really? Thats called objectivity and my opion is based on observation and experience, I fail to see how I am trolling. Please explain. My points GPS is a poor tool for cycling computers due to its inaccuracy, a fact I can attest to with my ow eyes and one that can be confirmed with search for reviews about accuracy. This is in no way trolling. Just because people see their units working properly does not mean they are accurate.
If my calculator works properly by turning on when I press the power button but always tells me 2+2=5 it is not a good calculator. Thats my point

kojtl1000

by kojtl1000

I get your point, but there is not that much as an alternative (I'm in the US, so the Magellan is not an option). And I do not want to mount my phone on my handlebar.

rijndael

by rijndael

gitsome wrote:But that can easily be the difference between 1-5 mph or more, 1-10 miles distance, etc etc.
If you used a speed sensor, the speed and distance numbers would be unaffected by GPS errors.

gitsome

by gitsome

Yes exactly, thats my point. Leave the GPS alone and just use basic computers the GPS is a waste.

Thats what Im saying.

rijndael

by rijndael

Sorry but I'm not tracking you.

I didn't get the Garmin 800 so I could omit my speed sensor. I use it for (live) course navigation (not after the fact logging) and power meter data. In my area, with my routes, it does a pretty good job.
Last edited by rijndael on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gitsome

by gitsome

lol. to each his own!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

gitsome wrote:And this article itself states that you need UNOBSCURED SIGNAL FROM AT LEAST 4 SATELLITES for it tot work and they had to go to some remote location to achieve this, otherwise the signals are al too poor to be considered for the test. So lets see. Under remote, perfect conditions they work mostly, great test.

getting a lock on > 4 satellites with my 510 in GPS + GLONASS mode has not been a problem at all. Since I am working from home today I was able to do a test for you.

In my basement. ~10 feet away from any of the exterior walls.

The 510 was able to get a lock on 6 satellites, in my basement without being close to an exterior wall. Usually when I am riding I have ~10 satellites which is more than enough.

Don't forget that you also have a traditional magnetic speed sensor on your wheels that feeds data to the unit regarding speed and distance if you ever drop a signal somehow. I have yet to drop a signal on my 510 in GPS + Glonass mode. That is riding in urban environments, mountains and under trees/overpasses/in tunnels. Not one single drop in the 7 months I have had the unit.

A unit like a Garmin Edge offers significant benefits over a traditional $30 bike computer. But that is a different discussion for another day as this thread was about the Garmin Edge, a GPS bike computer.