Good alternative to Garmin Edge 810?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitsome

by gitsome

No I said GARMIN GPS sucks for cycling.

Does anyone here actually read what I write or is everyone too touchy?

Its like a 3rd grade class
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

53x12

by 53x12

You realize they use the same exact civilian GPS satellites right? There aren't a special set of satellites circling in space just for civilian aircraft.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

gitsome wrote:No I said GARMIN GPS sucks for cycling.

You keep changing what you write and believe it is hard to keep up.

gitsome wrote:Garmin GPS sucks.

gitsome wrote:I thinnk GPS and cell are great technologies when you can afford to be off by 200 ft for general purposes but for cycling they are not precise enough.

So supposedly a GPS bike computer is off by '200 feet' and that is the end of the world. What about aircraft and boats? Are those general purposes? If it isn't precise enough for cycling, is it for flying a airplane hundreds of miles per hour over thousands of miles? Or a boat for thousands and thousands of miles?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

gitsome

by gitsome

None of those would be good to rely on a 510 or 810 if you care about mph etc in the minute detail a cyclist demands. If youre speed is off by more than 2 or 3 mph what is the poiunt of spending all that money>? If youre routes are off by 200 ft, then you cant really chart a good map of trails, etc etc

gitsome

by gitsome

Is everyone on this thread a 3rd grader? Seriously?

rijndael

by rijndael

gitsome wrote:everyone

Everyone would include you too :lol:

gitsome

by gitsome

Since nobody actually reads what I wrote I'm done wasting my time. Go ahead and twist my words around, have fun pat yourselves on the back. You're Garmins still suck and you can't stand to hear it.
haha

gitsome

by gitsome

All I've done is make a point and clarify it over and over because it gets twisted around constantly and thrown in my face, what a lame thread.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Bro, you gave your opinion 8 pages ago. If you're not going to add anything to the discussion why do you need to keep reiterating it?
Quit being butthurt about strangers on the internet calling you out for being full of shit. You offered one anecdotal secondhand story about one single ride (without even posting the strava data) and then started making up imaginative claims on the accuracy of devices you've never owned or used. The rest appears to be complete trolling. So just stop.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

:popcorn:

Nebby

by Nebby

rijndael wrote:I bought mine from ebay, though a different seller, and had no issues with getting support from Garmin. They didn't ask where it was purchased.

Good to hear actual experience with their support. I know for some companies it's a touchy subject, so I figured I'd put that in there. :)

Ahillock

by Ahillock

rijndael wrote:Does anyone know why GLONASS wasn't brought to the 810?

Good question. Wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the battery drain the 810 would experience on top of that large color screen (as below article speculates as a reason)? Seems like a silly thing to leave out, but I wouldn't be surprised if maybe that was one of the reasons?

Gitsome, you experience with the 510 sounds like the experience of one with the 500. Are you sure you used the 510? Cause everything you said seems made up and doesn't make sense compared to what users on this forum have experienced or others. Have any data to support it.

This guy says that with the 500 he had issues of accuracy with the 500 while MTB being 50-200 ft. He gets 15-20 feet while MTB regardless of full cloud and tree cover. He also gets 10 feet while road biking which goes in line with what 53x12 showed in this thread.

http://tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/faceoff-garmin-edge-510-vs-garmin-edge.html

Summary, I think gitsome is yanking our chain and making stuff up and has been proven wrong several times already. :smartass:

gitsome

by gitsome

Why in God's name would I sit here and make things up?? I don;t care enough to make anything up. This is like a twilight zone episode. I have replied to all this because my point has been attacked by people who don't seem to read my points carefully at all. To accuse me of giving a crap about Garmin or anything else related to this is enough to invent anything laughable and even idiotic. Maybe its a joke?

BTW It was a 510. He hd an 810 and it was too big. It was set to monitor at 1 second intervals.

I am not trolling I have been trying to make a simple point which certain people do not seem to understand and have made way too much out of this, and the ones full of shit should keep their mouths shut and reread my posts cause it certainly takes one to know one.

I gave an example of experience working with a unit that showed inaccurate data, that is all I said, and thus it was not worth the price of purchase in my opinion. The rest of this pathetic waste of a thread was people who cannot read clearly twisting my words around and insulting me to the point of redundancy. I think anyone going back will see that, I hope so.

Some even took it as a personal insult that I don't think Garmin lives up to its claims, that is bizarre at least and sad beyond words.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

I do take a nice shit once a day so I am certainly full of it at least for 12 hours a day or so.