Campagnolo Bora 80

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Campy68

by Campy68

After my second ride with my new Bora 80s, i noticed there is now something rattling around inside the back wheel. It's clearly loose within the structure as it moves and falls as the wheel is rotated. Any ideas what it could be or suggested handling?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

It could perhaps be moved inside the rim with a magnet on the outside, if that is any use and assuming it's metallic/magnetic.

F45

by F45

My Dura Ace 7850 wheel does this.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I know campy uses (or used to use) those little plastic parts that are attached to the valve hole, so the valve dosen't knock against the side and make that annoying knocking sound at speed.

If your wheelset has these, is there a chance one of them was pushed inside.

I assume the only way to try to get something out is to remove the tire and try to rotate the wheel so the loose piece (whatever it is) gets to the valve hole and so you can try to pull it out.

Either way, that is annoying.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

We've had this in the workshop before - customers bringing in wheels that have something rattling in the rim
Quite often, when the nipple hole has been drilled into the rim, you get a burr of carbon on the inside of the rim - this falls off and then is the rim!
(btw, you don't get this with ENVE SMART wheels, as each nipple hole is made, rather than drilled, so never a burr in the rim)
carbon2329 is right - tub off and then the slow process of trying to roll it round to the valve hole and then pull it out with a pair of fine tweezers!
Good luck - regards, ianSWBB

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Your best bet is to contact the Campagnolo Service Centre in your country - they are best placed to handle queries like this and any advice that they offer will not potentially endanger your warranty ...

Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd, Campagnolo main UK Service Centre UK
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

tommasini

by tommasini

ianSWBB wrote:We've had this in the workshop before - customers bringing in wheels that have something rattling in the rim
Quite often, when the nipple hole has been drilled into the rim, you get a burr of carbon on the inside of the rim - this falls off and then is the rim!

carbon2329 is right - tub off and then the slow process of trying to roll it round to the valve hole and then pull it out with a pair of fine tweezers!
Good luck - regards, ianSWBB

+1

Happens from time to time with carbon rims.

With tubbie off you can also try to shake the wheel a bit (and with a little patience) the bugger will to drop out of a lower nipple or valve hole.

Campy68

by Campy68

Thanks for the advice. I took it to my FLBS and they removed the offending piece pretty easily through the valve hole. They used a magnet. It was a small piece of metal that almost looked like a spoke nipple. All of the spokes and nipples appear to be fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com