New Ciamillo GSL Micro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks man. I really appreciate all the photos. This has helped me make a decision on brakes. I have Planet X brakes, and was going to replace them with these, but seeing the weight now I'm going to stick with the Planet X. The difference in weight is only 10g. Looks like the 150g claim by Ciamillo is just for the brakes and pad holders with no hardware. They should be more clear about this on their site.

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

Agree! No problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

In fairness, you're not going to use all of those washers.

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

True

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Of course, but the brakes and pads alone weight 157g. Add in the hardware and you're over 170g. The claimed weight on the Micros is 150. To me that's way off. They should be clear on what 150g includes because it's definitely not for the full setup.

Again, the Planet X weigh a tiny bit more, have similar performance and cost half the price. Why even get these?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Why get these? Let me ask you, does Planet X have a cool guy named Ted, who can personally handle and mishandle product development and your order? Q.E.D.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Having made a few orders from planet x before, I assure you that their service (from replying emails to refunding purchases for items returned) is impeccable. Service is not really the deal breaker in considering between these brakes imo, performance should be.

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

Are those steel brake pad holder bolts and steel cable anchor bolts ? Please correct me if I'm wrong but Teds website does state "full ti hardware" maybe this is why his brakes are not as light as they once were ! It looks like they are ti on the Gravitas only from what i can see, anyone else have ti or steel bolts on the Micro ?

drainyoo

by drainyoo

The site does state that the claimed weight is without pads, and people would assume that's with all the needed hardware. But based on the weights presented here, it's now clear that the claimed weight is just for the brakes and pads with no hardware. Ciamillo should be be clear about that.

crankdxb

by crankdxb

Another one bitten the dust here, purchased directly last week 14-Mar-2014 with Invoice number 1433. Was tempted with the 2014 GSL's for $220 http://caw-designs.com/?product=black-negative-gsl and after a couple of follow up emails, there's no personal reply from Ted other than auto reply which kind of annoying.
If I saw these thread before, I would never made a dumb decision to purchase directly from his site. I don't want to wait up to 2 months but I'll wait for couple more days if there's an update and if not then cancellation of order will be and hoping to get my refund soon!
Not happy at all! So be aware...

glepore

by glepore

crankdxb wrote:Another one bitten the dust here, purchased directly last week 14-Mar-2014 with Invoice number 1433. Was tempted with the 2014 GSL's for $220 http://caw-designs.com/?product=black-negative-gsl and after a couple of follow up emails, there's no personal reply from Ted other than auto reply which kind of annoying.
If I saw these thread before, I would never made a dumb decision to purchase directly from his site. I don't want to wait up to 2 months but I'll wait for couple more days if there's an update and if not then cancellation of order will be and hoping to get my refund soon!

I did this as an experiment. Bought Micros on 2/5 for a similar price. He did take them off of the website after I purchased them, but as of last week they hadn't shipped. I simply filed a dispute with the cc company. Something is "up" with the direct sales and very low prices.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

crankdxb

by crankdxb

glepore wrote:
crankdxb wrote:Another one bitten the dust here, purchased directly last week 14-Mar-2014 with Invoice number 1433. Was tempted with the 2014 GSL's for $220 http://caw-designs.com/?product=black-negative-gsl and after a couple of follow up emails, there's no personal reply from Ted other than auto reply which kind of annoying.

I did this as an experiment. Bought Micros on 2/5 for a similar price. He did take them off of the website after I purchased them, but as of last week they hadn't shipped. I simply filed a dispute with the cc company. Something is "up" with the direct sales and very low prices.

Did you manage to get your refund? I always used Paypal, but its not available on Ted's site. It gonna be much more easier to request for a refund if there is.

glepore

by glepore

@crankdxb-Immediately, almost. Used a Bank Of America Visa. I made the purchase with the expectation of having to cancel it, given all I've read here. Ended up with a used set of Planet X's.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

crankdxb

by crankdxb

glepore wrote:@crankdxb-Immediately, almost. Used a Bank Of America Visa. I made the purchase with the expectation of having to cancel it, given all I've read here. Ended up with a used set of Planet X's.

+1 now I felt more regret by letting go my faithful TRP R960 :(

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Ted will get you your brakes, it just will take awhile...
I have mine sitting in their box in my garage, I've had too many other bike projects to work on that have gotten in the way of installing them. They look like nice parts, and I really want to try them out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com