Centaur BB creaking @ 700km

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rijndael

by rijndael

I haven't found that to be the case.

Devon

by Devon

What type of grease are we talking here? Chain or bearing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

I use wheel bearing grease, a very light coat. A light enough coat that the surface gets shiny, but not enough that you see clumps or any significant amount.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I use this for most things:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Granville-Multi ... B004PZSWM4

For a dropout I'd just apply a dab, install wheel, and then wipe off any excess.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Do not guess. Take pedals out and apply coppaslip to threads, remove and torque up the cup to correct torque, play with Q/R (make it tighter) these can cause craks. BB failure will be a rythmic click mostly with these bearings. If it is a general creak when pedaling it could be alot of thing.

Devon

by Devon

On my ride yesterday I came to the conclusion that it is the rear wheel. The spoke tensions are all over the place and
although the sound stops when not pedalling/putting power down, it creaks when I lightly bounce on the bike (without the
wheel leaving the ground). I am going to borrow a wheel for my next ride and see if this rectifies the issue.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

My brother had a lesson learned yesterday, he thought he had a centaur BB creak, he messed around with it and pedal threads prior - what he failed to check were that all of his chainring bolts were loose, this manifested itself on the Exmoor beast 101 mile ride yesterday when one came so loose it clean dropped out. After tightening the rest ( with no more creaks! ) he had to finish the ride with one missing! It's not always what it appears to be would be my Aesops fable here.....