Wheel Suggestions Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

So I keep being told my new baby needs deeper section wheels. I'm open to this, but am a little stuck on options other than Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40 tubs or Bora Ultra 35 Dark Label. 40mm is as deep as I want to go and tyres will be 25mm Vittoria Evo SC.

Handbuilts are fine too. That way I can keep my "zero factory-built" record intact. One proviso - no Chris King!

Any other suggestions. Performance and aesthetics are both important. Image

LionelB

by LionelB

I vote Bora 35 black label. would be perfect with your bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Over here I would recommend Enve 3.4s to Alchemy or Tune hubs. You can probably get a set of Corima rims custom built in Europe for less and those are nice rims. That's two custom builds there. Otherwise nothing wrong with Campagnolo wheels.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Any of the above suggestions, although I really don't like the aesthetics of two different profile wheels on a road bike. You can save that look for high octane fuel dragsters and tt/tri bikes as far as I'm concerned.

The Lightweight Gripelfulkinsteins (sp? :lol: ) are very nice looking if cost is not a concern as long as you're going tubular. If I was going clincher I'd probably go with a little wider rim width however.

But for what it's worth, I like the look of your bike with it's current wheelset as it is. For that size a frame the profiles of 50mm or more can be a bit overpowering aesthetically and you said aesthetics were important.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Kinda curious why you rule out Chris King for handbuilt wheels?

(I've been considering a set of handbuilts and the only thing I was pretty sure of was a set of R45's)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Sjoerd wrote:Kinda curious why you rule out Chris King for handbuilt wheels?

(I've been considering a set of handbuilts and the only thing I was pretty sure of was a set of R45's)

They're expensive and take a proprietary lock-ring for Campag, plus they're no lighter than Record and less user serviceable. DT are as light and cheaper too, while Extralite are significantly lighter and less money. But then I'm in Europe!

2tonGorilla

by 2tonGorilla

ergott wrote:Over here I would recommend Enve 3.4s to Alchemy or Tune hubs. You can probably get a set of Corima rims custom built in Europe for less and those are nice rims. That's two custom builds there. Otherwise nothing wrong with Campagnolo wheels.

What he said... I personally use Alchemy hubs for my race applications. They are hubs built for wheelbuilders in mind. Ideal bracing angles and other good stuff for your local wheel builder to geek out on. The new Alchemy Hub evolves it to another level but they aren't available :cry: in campy...yet.. :thumbup:

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

ultimobici wrote:But then I'm in Europe!

Me too and your arguments make sense. Thanks for filling me in.

bricky21

by bricky21

If I were in Europe I'd be contacting http://www.rar-wheels.com/index.php/en/ ... troduction and getting a set of customs on Corima rims with RAR(Tune)hubs.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

I'd go for the Bora Ultra 35 Dark Label

Have had a quick 2 minutes on a test pair, didn't get long enough on them to form a proper review, but on the face of it, run with the same precision as the rest of the Bora Ultra wheels

We should have them in the UK in a few week's time!! :D

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ianSWBB wrote:I'd go for the Bora Ultra 35 Dark Label

Have had a quick 2 minutes on a test pair, didn't get long enough on them to form a proper review, but on the face of it, run with the same precision as the rest of the Bora Ultra wheels

We should have them in the UK in a few week's time!! :D

I think they're already here!

I'll check our stock in the morning for you.

s4life

by s4life

Boras dark label without a doubt.

sawyer

by sawyer

Boras wld be a good option.

For less money FFWDs are IMO just as good (have both).
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com