Wheel Suggestions Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Johnny Rad wrote:Enve 25's or Zipp 202's w/Extralite hubs.

Those are the top of my list.

(No gumwalls!)

Aesthetics are important so UD may be out.

Gumwall aren't out as all black seems a little dead looking. Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Lafolie wrote:could work a treat :-) http://www.bikeradar.com/videos/lightwe ... C60C8vaSnJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Several reasons why not
Cost - no trade deal (I work in retail side of cycle trade)
Serviceability
Fragility of carbon spokes - I travel a lot.

sawyer

by sawyer

as per previous comment, 202s are a good bet if you don't mind the slight brand incongruity. aesthetic of a mid-depth carbon wheel would work well- personally don't really care for the all carbon stealth wheel look which looks farsports to me.

I had had a pair for three years and rate them highly - probably prefer them overall to my Boras.

The negative is the play in the rear hub. Depends how close you need to run rear pads - I'm not that bothered about those.

Hubs have been upgraded since I bought mine so may no longer be an issue.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

coloclimber

by coloclimber

CCU's
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ImageImage
But first I need to test ride em. Boss has a pair of clinchers he'll lend me. Then we'll see.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I have a set of extralite 45s in tubular. With a lot of Kms on em and they are really great hubs.
Awesome wheels. If tubs aren't for you I'd look at the same hubs built too 3.4 clinchers.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

sugarkane wrote:I have a set of extralite 45s in tubular. With a lot of Kms on em and they are really great hubs.
Awesome wheels. If tubs aren't for you I'd look at the same hubs built too 3.4 clinchers.

If I go carbon then it is a given that they'll be tubs. That said, I'm not convinced I need deeper rims. If the clincher Carbone 40C wheels wow me then I'll look at the tubs. If they're a meh, I'll stick to what I have and ignore the cacophony saying "it needs deeper rims".

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, I think that 40mm profile rim looks great on your bike and wouldn't go deeper. But the three yellow/red stickers on the rims are distracting. If you go that route, I'd remove them. Probably have to really consider the 35mm Bora's as well. And maybe same thing... get the dark labels for sure but I wouldn't be hesitant to remove them if they overwhelm the graphics on your frame. The colors on the frame are all it needs without being gaudy and too busy.

And you really don't "need" deeper rims, which you know... like I said earlier I think your bike looks great as it is with your existing wheels. I'm anxious to see it, because I really think your bike has a unique fine look about it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ