Marcelo or Big Leg Emma (or Love #3)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgorbik

by dgorbik

Hello folks!

I am currently looking to get a pegoretti frame (yes, I know, not the lightest one). I have very hard times to decide which one, I change my mind every day or so. I am 6'1" 145lbs skinny rider, I like sprinting and I never mind some extra stiffness (my main bike right now is a cervelo s5). I also like a lot how big leg emma looks like, it's a very unique bike. On the other hand I am not sure how stiff is it and how I will be able to deal with it. Honestly I just like how it looks like. Marcelo looks like a better bike for me overall though, should be stiff enough. Does someone have any experience riding those bikes (marcelo, ble and cervelo) and can tell the stiffness difference and overall comfort?

I have searched all over this forum and I got an impression that BLE is really uncomfortable for rides longer than 5 miles (jerk's posts). I wonder how true that is.)

To sum up: aesthetically I like BLE a lot, but I can't justify buying it given my weight. Or can I still get away with getting a BLE?

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by dgorbik on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I'm 82kg+ and even I'd question going for a BLE, despite also loving the look of it. A Marcelo would be plenty stiff enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

Ive had a marcello and spend plenty of time on great googly moogly...
Marcello was more plenty stiff for me at 193 cm and 85 killo's
I dig the looks of a g.g.m. Or big leg emma but the ggm i rode felt lime concrete, that hard...
After the marcelo i bought i colnago extreme power, it might be a more common bike but i also know why (;

LionelB

by LionelB

1m96, 85kg. Just got my Marcelo a couple of months back. It is VERY stiff. I think the BLE is for really super powerful sprinters.

Congrats on getting a Peg.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Yup BLE's are for Clydesdale sprinters imho
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

dgorbik

by dgorbik

Thanks for your suggestions a lot! In the end I think I will go with Love #3. I think that would be a reasonable frame given my weight, the fact I have to do a lot of climbing here in the Bay Area. I also liked how it felt and handled a lot. What do you think?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Nice alternative, and probably a little bit lighter.

KWalker

by KWalker

Why buy Peg and get AL? Makes no sense to me.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

dgorbik

by dgorbik

KWalker wrote:Why buy Peg and get AL? Makes no sense to me.

Is there anything specifically wrong with Love #3 compared to steel models?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

dgorbik wrote:

Dario only seemed to build in alloy under protest. Steel is where his talents shine.

Get a Marcelo and don't look back.

dgorbik

by dgorbik

ultimobici wrote:
dgorbik wrote:

Dario only seemed to build in alloy under protest. Steel is where his talents shine.

Get a Marcelo and don't look back.

I am very confused right now, even more than I was when I was choosing between Marcelo and BLE. Why would Dario build Love #3 nowadays, that doesn't seem to be his popular frame, so he could just drop it if he didn't like it. I personally want a Marcelo, but forums posts like http://forums.thepaceline.net/printthread.php?t=70109&pp=40 made me think. I've also asked a couple of guys who own both and they swear by Love #3, saying that it's more aggressive, more fun to descend and a better climber, the only thing sacrificed — a little bit of comfort. Tough choice, sigh. Marcelo is his signature frame and I can see reasons to get pegoretti in steel, but still in doubt.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

sounds like you should have a good look at Responsorium!
Less is more.

dgorbik

by dgorbik

shimmeD wrote:sounds like you should have a good look at Responsorium!

No, I don't have that much spare cash and I want a more stiff frame. Love #3 felt much more comfortable and smooth than my cervelo, which stiffness I can tolerate without any problems.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

If you want a stiff steel frame, I agree with shimmeD, look at the Responsorium. The XCR used in it should be more than stiff enough for your needs. It will still have the steel feel with more strength to weight and stiffness.
Last edited by Herb5998 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

LionelB

by LionelB

All Pegoretti frames are nice, so I do not hink you will be disapointed. None are "light" even though the Love #3 will be "lighter". If you plan on having only one Peg than go for the Marcelo, as you said it is his signature frame.

BTW, the Love#3 is built with an aluminum tubeset that is not produced anymore, Dario has something like 50 sets left the last time I checked and plan to stop the Love #3 once he runs out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com