Colnago EPQ review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

123GO

by 123GO

Afternoon,

I recently purchased a Colnago EPQ and the build will be an an Ultegra level (until I get $$$ for a better group) save for the rims which will be Dura Ace 36 spoke hubs (3x in the back and 2x in the front) with DT spokes laced to a Campy Moskva rim with Michelin Pro 4's. If possible, could someone let me know about their experiences with an EPQ.

I'm currently riding a Wilier Gran Turismo which is a great bike but it's a size too small and the ride is too harsh for my liking - it's fine for about two hours but doing a century or two long days back to back is too much. The Wilier has an amazingly stout and snappy frame which I may keep and use for crit races.

During the season I ride one hammerfest group ride (around 20 miles), two quicker rides on the weekends (between 30 - 60 miles) and a solo weekly recovery ride of about 20 miles.

Anyhow, please let me know what you think of the EPQ and how it compares to the C59.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I would suggest you drop (Calnago) a message on here, he has both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

It will be sad to see such a nice frame built on Ultegra but off course it's your bike so do as you wish :wink: :twisted:
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@123GO: I'd be happy to tell you a little about the differences, although sounds like you've already got your EPQ, right?

Anyway, here's some pics of my Colnagos which I posted in the Pictures of Colnagos thread some time ago:

My EPQ with Boras and Campy 80th (Since this pic was taken I've removed 7mm of spacers and steertube).

My EPQ in it's "classic" configuration...

My C50 (ST02)...

And all three: C50, C59, EPQ

Setups:
The C59 and and EPQ are identical geometries and setups. Both 61 Traditional. This summer I made an effort to see if I could discern what differences there were between the EPQ and C59. I rode them both quite a lot, same saddles, same wheels, same tires etc. As far as removing all the different variables that can arise when trying to compare bikes I think I pretty much had it covered. The only difference is the bars and stem although they are both very close to each other in shape and are set up to as close to the same as possible.

Here's my thoughts:
1) I do not like one more than the other. They are basically just different looks. The C59 is matte and aggressive looking. It's got the SRM. I like it on group rides when we might duke it out in some sprints here and there and I can look back later on Training Peaks to see how I did powerwise etc. That's not to say it's any faster than the EPQ, but it does look more aggressive I guess. It gets a lot of "badass beautiful" comments.

2) The EPQ is a beautiful timeless design. The top tube and downtube are from the EPS, although the top tube has been reworked a bit to fit into the squarish seat cluster lug of the C59. The top tube and downtube are essentially round in cross section as well, which I wanted on this paint scheme. Everything else is shared with the C59. The EPQ can look equally as stunning with classic box section rims and 32 spokes as it does with carbon Boras. The C59 on the other hand, being matte black, really shines when paired with some deeper profile carbon wheels. I ran it with some Neutrons for a while and the whole look was pretty blah, black bike... so what. I think I prefer the EPQ with the classic wheels but I rode it most of this summer with the Boras, so I could compare with the C59. Which brings me to...

The ride:
Love 'em both and can't really tell the difference. If there is a difference, it would be because of a different setup or using different wheels etc. I think magazine reviews attempting to talk about differences between frames are a joke quite frankly. They are comparing different setups, different sizes, different everything really. And then they have to come up with some drivel to meet a deadline before print. Sometimes, I wouldn't be surprised if they get no more than a few hours on the bike. To appreciate a bike, any bike, you have to ride it enough to get to know it and adjust accordingly. And that just doesn't happen in a couple of test rides. I'm sure you will be happy with your EPQ providing it fits you. I have to say that I probably enjoy riding my EPQ a bit more just because of what it represents to me in the whole grand scheme of what cycling is to me. Now that I have had a summer riding it with the Boras I think the majority of riding I do with it will be with the classic wheels. I love the ride of them. Silent smoothness. They're strong and predictable, and I don't feel like they're hindering me from getting to any destination I might care to go to. I could ride any of these bikes all day every day.

Compared to the C50:
We're really splitting hairs now. The C50 is a wonderful bicycle. I've had two. I got my first one after selling my C40 (first colnago), then I "crashed" that into the top of my garage one day and ended up getting the ST02 you see above as a replacement. I guess maybe the C59 is a bit "snappier" as you seem to think, but I'm not about to say the difference is that staggering.

Bottom line: You've already bought it. You'll probably like it. Where did you get it? New or used? Show us a pic. Start a build thread.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lafolie

by Lafolie

very nice write up ! ;-) Bikes look stunning Cal!
Last edited by Lafolie on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

:thumbup: nice bikes calnago... is the black one a c50?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Black one is a C59. It's own thread is in my signature.

@Lafolie, thanks! What have you been up to? Send me a pm or email.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

123GO

by 123GO

Calnago,

You sir, have the most impressive collection of bikes and wheels I've seen! Thanks for the detailed review - there are extensive articles about the EPS and C59 but your review of the EPQ may be first decent one around!

The EPQ was purchased (already paid half and I'll pay the rest when the shop builds it) from a bike shop in town and has not yet been built, it's a 52s. My time on a C59 and a C50 were both on 56 traditionals and from my understanding the 52 sloping is similar to the 56 traditional. I've had three separate fittings - two on my Wilier and one with a Guru fit machine. However, the most informative experiences have been from spending time on the Colnagos. In due time I'll put on the stiffest crank arms I can find and some 50mm wheels.

Again thanks for the extensive write up.

123GO

by 123GO

Quick review,

The bikes amazing. Nothing I've ridden compares. Although that said, I've not much time on a lot of different bikes. After about 80 miles over the weekend a few points of consideration. 1) I was concerned the EPQ wouldn't have the same responsiveness of the Wilier, I was wrong - it's better (IMO). 2) On a gravel section the harder I rode the more comfortable it was. I wasn't looking for potholes but I pushed hard on rough roads and the bike was very comfortable. 3) On a steep down hill leading to a sharp turn I felt more comfortable really leaning the bike - it's as though there's something pushing back so I was more comfortable pushing it farther. The bike's only problem is overweight motor with shitty lungs. My thanks to Calnago for his in depth review.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@123GO: glad you like your new bike. Sounds like your first ride was done with the rose coloured glasses that are supplied with all new purchases... But it is a really nice bike. Enjoy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com