Wheel help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which would you choose

Stick with current 1600 gram clincher wheel
33%
Switch to 1100 gram tubular wheel
67%

Total votes: 6

neilman01

by neilman01

Hi, so currently I have a set of carbon wheels that weigh 1600 grams and are clincher, and I have the opportunity to get a set of 1100 gram tubular wheels that are the same 24mm depth for an unbelievable price. Both have the same hubs so that is not an issue, would you stick with the clincher, or switch to tubular for the 500 gram loss. Also, the heavier 1600 gram clincher wheels look much better if that matters. I won't be doing any racing on them, just using them for the regular group rides and such, probably only average around 150-200 miles a week.

The benefit of lighter weight discussed in the below and MANY other threads

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88913

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

You will feel the difference, but for the amount of riding you do it probably isn't going to be that big of a deal to you until you weigh your bike. Plus the heavier wheels look better, and that means a lot!

Is it hilly where you ride? What do you average on your group rides? Distance? Elevation gain? Do you want to mess with tubes/glue?

Those are the questions that should dictate your decision.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The lighter tubular wheels will make accelerations more lively and responsive but the wheels probably won't make you any faster. If your getting them on a screaming deal though, then go for it!

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

neilman01 wrote:I have the opportunity to get a set of 1100 gram tubular wheels that are the same 24mm depth for an unbelievable price.

If they are really a good deal, just get them and ride both.

Report back.
formerly rruff...