Gaulzetti Corsa review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Been thinking about my next build and thinking going back to a metal bike and probably a smaller US builder. I think I'd prefer going aluminum and really like the concept of Gaulzetti in Newton, Mass. They look like a really solid build, I like their concept. Probably build with my Campagnolo Record 10 speed and Deda bar/stem. As for the paint, kind of like the yellow, lime green, pink or "Belgian Blue".

Does anyone have a ride report or any opinions on the Gaulzetti Corsa?

http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/stor ... etti-corsa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by LittleSprinter on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

You will find more reviews over at velocipedesalon or paceline forums.
Another really cool AL builder is Stoemper Bikes.
Spooky Bikes are also AL no BS racing bikes.

fa63

by fa63

I am currently getting an ISP aluminum frame built up by Tsunami. I was also inspired by the Gaulzetti Corsa frames, but the pricing was a bit steep for me (I can get a custom geometry Tsunami with provisions for internal Di2 wiring, a decent fork, a CK headset and the Ultegra Di2 upgrade kit for the price of the Gaulzetti frameset alone). With that said, I think the Corsa are significantly lighter than what my Tsunami will end up being (based on my existing non-ISP Tsunami frame's mass), and the Corsa frames ride very well from everything I have read, so I think you can't go wrong with it either.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

The pink is hot!

Dustin

by Dustin

Hi viz pink and yellow are no longer available.

KWalker

by KWalker

Probably rides fine and close to any other AL bike with geo setup to suit your riding style. They look pretty fancy though.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

lcoolb

by lcoolb

It's not just a matter of geometry. Not every type of AL tube is the same...

KWalker

by KWalker

Of course they aren't, but as is the trend with many custom must-have boutique bikes of the moment, people overhype based on simple aesthetics and to satisfy their inner conscience. Who would honestly say "Yah I spent $2k+ on an AL frame with fairly normal geo and it rides like a wet turd"?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

mrfish

by mrfish

I don't buy their marketing Kool-aid. Sure, buy it if you want a custom frame with nice paint for $$$, but don't pretend that Al is the best material out there, all other bikes are obsolete etc... Bottom line is that it's a fairly standard set of Deda pipes with nice paint in a size which fits you.

Read the comments here.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/15/roa ... tti-cicli/

ergott

by ergott

mrfish wrote: but don't pretend that Al is the best material out there,

It's the cheapest way to make a lightweight, stiff, fully customizable geometry race bike. What's wrong with that? I miss the days when you could have a CAAD made to measure. I'd love to get one.

andyindo

by andyindo

mrfish wrote:I don't buy their marketing Kool-aid. Sure, buy it if you want a custom frame with nice paint for $$$, but don't pretend that Al is the best material out there, all other bikes are obsolete etc... Bottom line is that it's a fairly standard set of Deda pipes with nice paint in a size which fits you.

Read the comments here.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/15/roa ... tti-cicli/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW, those "standard Deda pipes" were actually designed by Gaulzetti.......

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

I guess really in the end is I'm looking for my next bike to be more realistic. I don't really want anything super fancy or uber-weight weenie but rather have something that fits, fun to ride and frankly looks decent. I'm not sure who out there, especially on this forum, that couldn't agree with me on that . That being said, I don't feel my riding habits, style and amount of racing I do (which is just weekly crits and the local group ride hammerfest) really warrants a "top of the line" all out weight weenie carbon frame.

Now from what I've read online and spoken/emailed with people at Gaulzetti, its a solid bike that will indeed fit me and will be able to ride and race which should handle like a good, snappy, responsive stiff crit bike should handle. But the bike looks like a well built race bike (and yes with a pretty paint job).

Now if others have any information that should not attest to that, I'd be interested in hearing about that before I plunk down for the frame

velobran

by velobran

I've been riding my Gaulzetti for 2 or 3 weeks now almost daily. Its hard to describe the riding characteristics of a bicycle because it's a different experience for each person. I will say its the stiffest bike I've ridden (out of the saddle, turning, etc) and stays planted on the pavement over everything I've ridden. When you push on the pedals, the thing moves forward pretty quickly. All of my rides have been on 32h Nemesis wheels and I haven't even put my Edge 65s on yet but will do so in the near future.

It's an awesome ride that I won't be ditching anytime soon.
--- Velobran

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Just for curiosity what other bikes have you ridden or do you own?

velobran

by velobran

LittleSprinter wrote:Just for curiosity what other bikes have you ridden or do you own?

Currently own a Speedvagen.
Owned a Colnago E1 (their first monocoque - same a the cristallo but w/ different seat stays)
Owned a Lemond Tete de Course
Ridden Giant TCR Advance 2 and some low end Trek aluminum.

Not a huge list for sure - but I know when a bike rides like a fast bike. The Gaulzetti overall rides better than all I listed.
--- Velobran

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com