Veloflex Extreme Tough Enough?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Flatted my rear Conti Comp tire this past weekend -- F/R tires only have about 150 miles on them so I guess it was just a stroke of bad luck....or was it? I've always wanted to try Velofex (or FMB) tires and figured this was my opportunity. Took the front Conti Comp tire off as well and stripped the glue off of both wheels using some Schwalbe Adhesive Remover that I was able to score in EU.

Initially planned on going with 22mm Veloflex Extreme for the front and 23mm Veloflex Carbon for the rear -- but since the Carbons are virtually impossible to source locally, I ordered Extremes instead. Received them today and upon close inspection, they seem extremely (no pun) delicate compared to the Conti Comp. The side walls are literally paper thin and the tread is ultra fine. I guess those features are what make these tires both light and lithe.

These go on my "fair weather" only bike and will therefore not see many miles nor wet roads. However, I live in central New Jersey and our roads aren't the best -- not the worst but nothing compared to some of the smooth and debris-free roads I've ridden in California, Colorado and Utah.

I think I'll be okay with using Extremes for the front but loathe to use them for the rear. Can anyone who has experience with these tires opine on the Extreme's puncture resistance? Are they tough enough (as a rear tire) to withstand NJ roads (I understand that running over a tack, regardless of tire will cause a puncture), or should I continue my search for 23mm Carbons and use those for the rear?

As always, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

I use extremes at 120psi and with about 30mls stans sealant in them, ride on roads and mup's with no issues

I have found the tread just as puncture proof as the conti comps, the sidewalls are "feel" thinner, my only failure was a cut to the side wall once, bear in mind the I think it would have cut most tires there.

at 120psi they wear well, I actually prefer the lighter extremes to the carbons, but they won't obviously have the same durability.

Psychologically, they appear to be a bit flimsy, but thats the extra suppleness of the 350tpi weave.
Last edited by lannes on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Hmm...120psi is high...

LionelB

by LionelB

I cannot really comment on extreme in the rear as I use them as front tires only on my Boras. For that application they held up well so far. I think they would be fine as a rear but mileage would be less than a carbon.

el condor

by el condor

Have my climbing wheels fitted with the Extreme rear and front, lately using the wheels also for flat rides, so far no problems, even been riding some stretches on unpaved roads, but I'm aware that I may be pushing it a bit, but they held up well so far.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I agree that 120psi is excessive. I'm 85kgs and run mine at 90 front and 95-100 rear
Extremes are ok in the back but once they get thin they will cut up. Carbons will last a bit longer but not much.. Watch out though.. You won't want anything to do with conti tubs after riding the veloflex tires..

lannes

by lannes

This is the reply from veloflex, for a 75kg weight, when I asked them a while back

"We think that for your weight the best pressure is 7 bar on front wheel and
8 bar for the rear wheel.
If you like you can increase of 1 bar on both tubulars.

Enjoy your tubulars.
Gabriele Colleoni

VELOFLEX s.a.s.
Via Ghiaie, 6
24030 Presezzo (BG) Italy
Tel: +39-035.461519
Fax: +39-035.4377154
e-mail: info@veloflex.it"
web: http://www.veloflex.it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So for me I am using 8 bar (116psi) for the front and 8.5 bar (123psi) for the rear tubulars

LionelB

by LionelB

7 front, 7.5 rear for me at 85kg. I do not care what they say at veloflex on the topic!

konky

by konky

I can't imagine there is anything wrong with 120psi. Everyone to their own. If lannes is happy with the brittle ride that 120psi will deliver than good luck to him.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

120 psi on Veloflex = brittle ride? Not quite. These still feel very supple at 120.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

da123

by da123

I have used Veloflex extremes (circa 260g) and carbons (circa 225g). I've found the carbon substantially tougher and well suited to rear wheel use. All of my extremes have punctured relatively early in their lives, in each case before wear became an issue. The carbon does not have the longevity or puncture resistance of conti competitions (265g) / 4000SR (265g) or Schwalbe Ultremo HDs (260g), but is better than a Vittoria Corsa Evo (235g) (which sits between the Extreme and the Carbon I'd say).

I do ride on UK roads however, which are quite pitiful. The ride of the Extremes is great, but I wouldn't use them on the rear in the UK, and they're probably a bit of gamble on the front.

gospastic

by gospastic

I have Extremes on my race wheels. They do seem to wear pretty quickly. I love the ride though.

I wouldn't ride 120psi on any other tire but I have on these before and they do feel okay, oddly enough. I normally run 100f/110r though.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

For me Veloflex's are race only tyres...

Obviously it depends on rider weight but my impression is the higher the pressure the higher the probability tyre cuts are...tyres with lower pressure conform with contact...

lannes

by lannes

Wingnut wrote:For me Veloflex's are race only tyres...

Obviously it depends on rider weight but my impression is the higher the pressure the higher the probability tyre cuts are...tyres with lower pressure conform with contact...

Probably true, but I haven't seen many on the extremes, although I have aged them for a futher 6 months since purchased
Last edited by lannes on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com