What Turbo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

My turbo trainer's days are numbered. I use it throughout Summer and Winter and I have a good set of rollers.
Anyway what is the thinking on Turbos - what brands are good. I have been doing some research and the latest range of Cyclops are looking good. Are they all pretty much the same and you just go for the best deal or most convenient or is there stuff to look out for.
I the Turbo for hard interval sessions usually 3 times per week. I tend not to use the resistance feature on my current one (as it is dodgy - I use the bike's gears instead)
I do not want any gimmicks - just a well designed and well built one that can be used for serious training - maybe being able to set the wattage would be good, but not if it is a tacky feature that will fail after a few sessions
All advice welcome. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Cyclops is ok. Here in the 'great white north', we are on the trainer a lot. I went through three or four Cyclops before I found the 1UPUSA trainer: http://www.1upusa.com/product-trainer.html It has been pretty much flawless.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Thanks for the reply, however I live in UK and I don't think that it is easily available here
At the moment I'm looking at a Cyclops Super Magneto Pro or an Elite Qubo but I am very open to advice

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

I have had a SuperMagneto Pro for 2 years now and have had no problems with it, even with full on sprinting intervals. I weigh approximately 90 kg and find it hard to believe that any reasonable power effort will do it any harm.

laxer29

by laxer29

Definitely interested in this as well, as I am in market for a trainer for upcoming winter. What about Tacx?

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

If you're looking for a no nonsense trainer: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, period. Most road-like resistance of all the trainers I've been on and super solid, without dodgy resistance levers as it's a fluid trainer.
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

doozer

by doozer

Grimpeur wrote:If you're looking for a no nonsense trainer: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, period. Most road-like resistance of all the trainers I've been on and super solid, without dodgy resistance levers as it's a fluid trainer.

+1. Eventually i found the L-shaped threaded part on the roller tension mechanism gets stripped but it was easy to source some 6mm diameter stainless rod and make a new one. The kirk is also a good design with a fully sealed oil bath. I've had other fluid trainers before this that sprung a leak.
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

quattrings

by quattrings

I'm thinking of getting a turbo after riding rollers for 2 years. The new elite turbo muin with it's direct drive really caught my eye. It's nice and quiet, has tons of resistance and doesn't wear out the rear tire.
Anyone that has one already and care to make some comments on the feel and quality of the direct drive system?

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Thanks for all the replies
So far my research (web & word of mouth)appears to be a little contradictory
Those who I know that have the Quobo say that it is good/great but various forums (including WW) indicate that there are flaws with it. On the other hand I have not spoken to anyone who owns/uses a CycleOps Super Magneto Pro or Jet Fluid Pro but all the shop reviews for them are excellent

Any thoughts or experiences

mythical

by mythical

A long time ago I tried out a Tacx wind trainer that resulted in me destroying half the fan. Apart from making a lot of noise when pedaling, the breakdown sounded like a gunshot or explosion. It took a while to clean up the debris of plastic pieces of flying everywhere after the resistance wheel broke.

In addition to not liking turbo trainers in the first place, I ditched the idea entirely and kept on riding throughout winter (which is possible in Holland). However, being less rugged as before, I started looking at indoor trainers again. A friend bought this Schwinn, after trying it, I thought it sucked. Once again, I ditched the idea.

I have no experience with any of those you mentioned, nor am I aware of anyone I know using them. I already liked the concept of the LeMond Revolution, but it's just so noisy! Here's one I really would like to try: The Elite Turbo Muin:

Silent, not using a rear wheel and having a realistic road feel are high on my list of an ideal turbo trainer. That would be my criteria anyway.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

asv

by asv

Wahoo Kickr

laxer29

by laxer29

That trainer looks pretty good, any actual user reviews?

KB

by KB

I have found the process of finding a good replacement for my old trainer very frustrating. This was the one I had and I've been unable to find a replacement. It was just like being on the road and had a unit readout with 5 gradients.
I've bought two since that were awful. Both worked on the basis that the harder you pedalled, the more the resistance using the same gear, which to me is rubbish, but they seem to be like that now. I had an Elite and then a Tacx which was even worse. I've even looked on line for a used one, but without success.

I want one that mimicks the road where you change gears rather than progressive resistance.

Burgunder

by Burgunder

Kurt Kinetic and the Elite Turbo Muuin is the answer to that.

I boughta BKool trainer last year, and I must admit that I dont like it much. The resistance feels strange if you are riding a hill with much more than 2 % gradient and it's noisy. Plus you habve to go througt the hassle to hook it up to your pc'en everytime you have to use it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Thanks for the recommendation.