Pinarello Dogma 65.1 think 2 (or Dogma2) vs. Cervelo R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Appreciate that it might not be the greatest help, as I tested 2 different sizes, which always then makes it difficult to get a direct comaprison - a 51.5 in the Dogma 65.1 and a 54 in the R5
The headtube was bigger on the R5, so it felt as though the front of the bike was high compared to the Dogma 65.1 - ideal for me, as I like climbing sat in the saddle, where as the lower end of the Dogma 65.1 was always asking me to get out of the saddle, which I didn't like so much, but then got the low front end position for the descent the other side

I think if you're looking for just climbing, then go with the R5 (your comments sound as though this is your favourite!), but if you want more of an all-rounder that can climb, go for the Dogma 65.1

regards, ianSWBB

RoyalV

by RoyalV

I have 51 S5, that has somewhat the same geometry as R5. I use -17deg stem and almost low as possible. Have to admit that some kind of Cervelo love is going on, and that's why leaned to that direction. But my dilemma is (and why I'm researching this very hard) that even that my riding and physique are suitable for col's and hills (and that's where my main competitions are next year), and I most definetly would like to live and ride somewhere in Alps, dolomites, etc., but in the other hand the 90% competitions I'm driving in Finland are more or less flat.

Ps. My S5 is broken (crashed).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Ah OK - so it is a want/need issue
You want the R5, but probably need the Dogma 65.1!!

We tell most of our customers, that in Cycling, you must be ruled by the heart, rather than the head!! If you love the bike you're riding, you'll train harder, race harder.
From your comments, it sounds as though if you got a Dogma65.1, you'll always be wondering what it would have been like to have an R5, whereas if you got an R5, you wouldn't give the Dogma 65.1 another thought, and you'd just push as hard as you can to get the most out of the R5

So an R5 it is then? :D

RoyalV

by RoyalV

Indeed - but I'm sure I would hammer hard with both bikes. Fortunately for me is that it's start of base training, so I don't have to make rushed decision. Not many cons with either one, so it's just minor details and flip of a coin :). Will make my final call during this week, so I would received the bike at least by end of the year.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Great - am looking forward to your decision!

What groupset/wheels are you having with it?

Sqzdachrmn

by Sqzdachrmn

One word of caution. Since Cervelo sold off to PON, my local shop has seen an Increase in warranty issues.

RoyalV

by RoyalV

Like I promised to tell you my choice when it's done. Though decision, but it is the Dogma!

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Well done RoyalV

As a LFC fan, I quite like 747, but feel as though it is always nice to have the Italian flag colours on there (colour 814)
881 and 861 caught my eye though - especially the 881 with Campag SR 80th grouppo!!

Which colour have you gone for?

ianSWBB

RoyalV

by RoyalV

ianSWBB wrote:Well done RoyalV

As a LFC fan, I quite like 747, but feel as though it is always nice to have the Italian flag colours on there (colour 814)
881 and 861 caught my eye though - especially the 881 with Campag SR 80th grouppo!!

Which colour have you gone for?

ianSWBB

I had offers for couple of colors which to choose from, so not all (unfortunately). But I'm still pleased with the one I got - 852. It allows me to play with colored bar tapes etc. to match all the other gear that I've got.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Very good!! :D

Am looking forward to seeing it :D