Sram Red 110BCD bigger chainring options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

I'm looking into buying a used Sram Red Quarq (2012, compact version (50/34), but having allways ridden standard chainrings I'm not sure if I'll like the smaller rings. Does anyone know what my options are if I want to change the rings to something bigger (say 52/36 or 52/39)?

I see Sram makes a 110mm BCD Red chainring in 52t, but those are the 2010 red version. Are they compatible with the 2012 cranks which have 1 bolt going in the crankarm?
Also, I read somewhere that Praxis 110bcd chainrings are not compatible with 2012 Red Cranks, is that correct?
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Hi there.

I have been running sram red 52/38 110 with no issues on an S900 crank. I presume the rings should be compatible as they all have the holes in the same place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timzcat

by timzcat

Basically any chainring will work. You need to remove the pressed in chainring bolt (hidden)
On a Quarq it does not go into the arm it's just hidden. I picked up a Red 22 Quarq and removed the rings and replaced with my Praxis rings.

Just put the chainring bolt over a socket and give it a good whack with a plastic hammer. Reverse to install in new ring.
The Quarq cranksets are not the same as the Red cranks that have the hidden bolt.

Oh and by the way if the 2012 is the new style Quarq with the little led on it you can use any rings with no calibration issues.

Grimpeur

by Grimpeur

Good to hear, thanks for the info!

Any tips for good 52t, and 36t/38t 110BCD chainrings? Preferably available in Europe, as I don't think the Praxis are?
This is my Bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, my bike is useless. Without my bike, I am useless.