La marmotte sportive? - Going tubs, keep lw clincher or ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys.

I'm in doubt here. Recently I sold my zipp 404's and fulcrum zero nite and bought a pair of lightweight clinchers instead. Always dreamed of those wheels.

But now i'm going to do the La marmotte sportive in the alps again this summer. And my problem is, should I buy a pair of aero wheels for training back home (Denmark is very flat) and use the lightweight clinchers that one day down there? And be carefull or just buy some Bora ones tubs (i have no experience in tubs, but how hard could it be?) and use them on my trip? They are safer i guess and weigh the same? Or just buy some fulcrums/mavic alu rims and that's it? The boring choice :D

I should say i have a winterbike, a pair of dt swiss heavy hometrainer/training wheels and the lightweigths.

What would you guys do? :thumbup:

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

If it's raining on the day, you'll go faster on the alu rims just because you'll be able to brake much, much better.

If it's dry, I'd go tubs, be it Bora or LW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i'll be doing those climbs a week ahead of you, doing la vaujany oisans. i'm be riding c-24's, my concern was being on a bike with 23's vs 25's. heard a few patches of road aren't great.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

I see no problem in riding the LW wheels in La Marmotte if you're a skilled descender. As long as you don't drag the brakes going downhill they should be fine. Personally I rode La Marmotte on a set of alu rims laced to Tune Hubs. They weigh 1310 grams for the set, which is 20/28, and I'm no lightweight. You could easily buy a set of custom wheels with light hubs and a light rim for under 1000 euros. Then you don't have to worry that much, and if the rain sets in, you'll have better braking performance.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I'm leaning towards of going on my LW's and then take it easy on the way down of galibier. And then buy a aero set for back home, and should the weather suck big time, then buy a pair of alu rims down there and sell them when i get home. Hmmmmm!

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

It's not the descent from Galibier that'll be a problem. It's pretty straight forward and doesn't require that much braking. The descent from Glandon will probably be harder on the wheels.

And remember, the prices in the area around the time of La Marmotte are high :)
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Kermithimself wrote:It's not the descent from Galibier that'll be a problem. It's pretty straight forward and doesn't require that much braking. The descent from Glandon will probably be harder on the wheels.

And remember, the prices in the area around the time of La Marmotte are high :)

It was Glandon I meant. Ha..

Yeah your right. I could always buy a pair of zondas. :beerchug:

cymans

by cymans

I rode the Marmotte this year on Lightweight wheels with Vittoria corsa speeds, and it rained too.
The Glandon descent was time neutralized to reduce crazy descender's, but still worth riding the LW's.....as long as they are true it shouldn't be a problem.

Cyman.

sawyer

by sawyer

tubs yes, but get them all sorted at least a couple of months before and get used to riding them
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Nejmann

by Nejmann

cymans wrote:I rode the Marmotte this year on Lightweight wheels with Vittoria corsa speeds, and it rained too.
The Glandon descent was time neutralized to reduce crazy descender's, but still worth riding the LW's.....as long as they are true it shouldn't be a problem.

Cyman.

And it was clinchers? The glandon is always neutralized.

Svetty

by Svetty

fromtrektocolnago wrote:i'll be doing those climbs a week ahead of you, doing la vaujany oisans. i'm be riding c-24's, my concern was being on a bike with 23's vs 25's. heard a few patches of road aren't great.

The climb all the way through Vaujany to the Col de Sabot is certainly a little bit uneven towards the top few kms. Well worth it for the view down the other side though!

cymans

by cymans

I was on tubs :thumbup:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Svetty wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:i'll be doing those climbs a week ahead of you, doing la vaujany oisans. i'm be riding c-24's, my concern was being on a bike with 23's vs 25's. heard a few patches of road aren't great.

The climb all the way through Vaujany to the Col de Sabot is certainly a little bit uneven towards the top few kms. Well worth it for the view down the other side though!

nice! i'm very excited. spending a week in vaujany. was surprised at how inexpensive the trip will be.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I was on 24mm turbo cottons last time and my friend on 25mm schwalbe ones. No problem. And last time i rode La marmotte, the last thing i though of was my tire width. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com