HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:05 pm 

looking at replacing all the cables on my bike, both inner and outer.
After some searching it looks like the nokon ones are held in high regard but are a fair chunk of change so i carried on searching and think I've narrowed it down to 2 unless anyone has some better recommendations.
The 1st ones i found were the jagwire racer complete inner and outer cable set, this is for both brakes and shifters and claims a 30% weight saving over standard cable sets and at only £23 for the whole lot it sounds like exactly what i was looking for.
I then found the jagwire elite link which looks a bit like the nokon ones and although doesn't have the same weight saving as the racer set at 20% instead of 30% it looks nicer.
I guess my question/quandry are the link worth the extra money as the same set comes in at £45 so almost twice the price. Or are there any other sets i should be considering?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:00 pm 

The link type are somewhat aggravating to install and maintain. I like the normal type outer myself. I am a strong supporter of Jagwire. Their stuff is terrific.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:00 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:26 pm 

There is definitely a learning curve to working with the link style housing. I threw away my first set of ilinks I was so frustrated. Since then each install has gotten easier. I tinker with my bikes a lot so I find the adjust-ability of the link style housing to be a huge plus. I paid around $60 for brake and shift housing so not that cheap but should last a long time.

Altamira 6.87 kg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:26 am 

I've used both the Nokons and Jagwire links. I prefer the jagwires myself as they are just a little bit easier to setup. Still a pain over conventional cables.

If you're on a budget, go for the Jagwire cables. I don't think you'd notice much of a difference on the road compared to the link setup. Better put your money elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:09 am 

Anecdote: On my bike there's a somewhat tight bend from the TT brake cable exit to the brake caliper arm, and I could never get the right length of regular outer to work properly. Too short and it would be too stretched when the caliper closed and the arm moved down. Too long and it would slowly but surely push the caliper out of alignment. This was fixed entirely with Jagwire link cables, which are compression-less and more flexible than regular outers. Between regular and link cables, I'm a link convert.