AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jooo

by jooo

spytech wrote:The fork in the picture where he mentioned the fork weight is not a "D" frameset, so it has the 3T fork

:doh: Good point, I was looking at pictures on page 11 with the THM fork, not from marcob's post where he quoted the weight for his 3T fork on page 10.

Arlberg

by Arlberg

Hello,

AXAxel/Nils I have three questions regarding the new VIAL EVO frame,

1. Can you tell us if the Stages Powermeter can be used with this frame? ie Is there enough clearance between the crankarm and the frame?

2. Will ax lightness be selling complete bikes with this new frame built up with all ax lightness parts? When would it be available, and how much will it cost with Shimano Di2?

3. Is the frame and either of the two forks (3T or THM Scapula) suitable to be used with disc brakes once they become mainstream? Eventually disc brakes will become the norm on road bikes so to have to buy new forks or another VIAL frame so soon would not be good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AXAxel
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by AXAxel

Hi Arlberg and welcome to the forums!!

1.) I have not had yet a Stages in my hands in person and do not know about its dimensions, but please find some pics I just took of a VIAL evo with installed Dura-Ace FC-9000 chainset: clearance VIAL evo/Dura-Ace 9000 cranks.

2.) There also are (ging to be) complete bikes around the VIAL evo, based on different build kits (shifting groups, wheels, cockpit etc.). We have not published the build kits just yet (Eurobike being the target here), so please inquire directly for an offer. Shifting components are available from either Sram or Shimano with a Di2 of course being no problem at all.

3.) The current frameset i(frame as well as both forks) s solely compatible with rim brakes. With the introduction of disc brakes we may eventually see new standards (rear hub width, rear/front axle systems), so without having certainty about these from a current perspective it does not make sense to us to commit ourselves to a certain construction just yet. Rumours are the standards will be finalized at or around Eurobike which is when we will start adopting the VIAL evo to a disc-specific model as well. I do not think hybrids make sense here. The disc model may then already become available in spring next year.

/Nils

marcob

by marcob

AXAxel wrote:[*]The afore mentioned fork weight from marcob (360g, s.o.) was for an uncut 3T fork. I've weighed all of the THM forks and they have been all around 290 to 310 gms incl. the preload adjuster. As a reference my personal THM Scapula CT, cut for a size S frame, weighs 255 gms (fully painted with an even thicker paint coat due to coming in our team paint scheme - pictures shortly, customers of course deserve their glory 1st! :no1: ).
/Nils

I've wheighted the fork after cutting it to length (26 cm) and without the preload adjuster, but with the ring for the headset, 323 grams.
As said before, my frame XL was 796 grams, but with headset, bb bearings and seatpost clamp. So i guess the weight of the frame alone will be around 700 grams for a XL, that's even less than claimed.

cfred84

by cfred84

Hi Nils,

Can I check what BB would be required to run the THM Clavicula M3s on the Vial Evo?
Or is it not compatible with the frameset?
Thanks!!

Regards
Freddie

marcob

by marcob

cfred84 wrote:Hi Nils,

Can I check what BB would be required to run the THM Clavicula M3s on the Vial Evo?
Thanks!!

Regards
Freddie

I just mounted a THM M3 crankset. It fits directly, you only need 1mm spacer on both sides.

cfred84

by cfred84

marcob wrote:
cfred84 wrote:Hi Nils,

Thanks!!

Regards
Freddie

I just mounted a THM M3 crankset. It fits directly, you only need 1mm spacer on both sides.

Nice!! Thanks for the information!

marcob

by marcob

Under construction!

I'm not sure about what to do with the liners. Do i have to remove them? Do i have to cut the to length? The don't fit in my outer cable, so how do i connect them?

AXAxel

by AXAxel

Looks great so far marcob! Exquisite choice of components as well!

The brake liner can be removed completely: Our cable enters the TT on the right side and run diagonally through it to enter it at the left side - hence no chance of rattling.
For the shifters I'd leave in pieces of the liner from just in front of the integrated BB cable guide to the derailleurs to ensure that the cables are running smoothly.
Please note that a (separate) full length liner will dramatically ease up cable changes/installations, so keeping some spare will definitely come in handy.

Integrated carbon BB cable guide:

/Nils

kode54

by kode54

marcob,

i'm curious to see how you like the ride since you've ridden Parlee's before. also, it doesn't look like the inside of the fork is painted with the 3T version...but i suppose that it is with the THM fork?

so far, looks great.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

marcob

by marcob

kode54 wrote:marcob,

i'm curious to see how you like the ride since you've ridden Parlee's before. also, it doesn't look like the inside of the fork is painted with the 3T version...but i suppose that it is with the THM fork?

so far, looks great.

I will let you know my riding experiences. As far as the weight concerns, the Vial Evo frameset is about 300 grams lighter than my Parlee Z5!
And yes, the 3T fork is all black.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Can the frameset be ordered without any paint/graphics?
Or are custom options available if coordinated with AX Lightness?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

AXAxel

by AXAxel

Currently we only have this one version on offer and would like to keep it at this for now.
There may be certain (limited) editions somewhen down the road, but for now we only offer this semi-gloss version with the silver/grey "stripes".

/Nils

spytech

by spytech

So when do the wheels ship?

marcob

by marcob

Ready!

Weight: 5,75 kg
Build: Sram Red 22, KCNC C7 brakes, THM M3 crankset, Zipp SL bar, Extralite stem, Procraft seatpost, Tune Komm Vor saddle, Time expresso pedals, Enve 3.4 clinchers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com