AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SangJae

by SangJae

Thought some parts were missing, but I found them in the box. :D
Last edited by SangJae on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ricojc

by ricojc

Hi, Alex
Shall THM M3 crankset fit the Vail EVO well? I mean fit the M3 crankset without change the BB.
Hope your reply
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the effin' quote.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stereotaipei

by stereotaipei

I am planning to buy one frame (assuming AX-lightness answers emails, I have been waiting for 6 weeks and have written 5 times without getting an answer yet). Quick question: if I want to use Dura Ace Di2, what should I buy for cabling? (part number, length).
thanks

jvanv8

by jvanv8

AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Beaver

by Beaver

Another question regarding the compatible cranksets: Do the FSA cranksets with bb386evo standard fit or does the "evo" differ from bb386?

rma

by rma

I'm interested in seeing where the rear brake cable enters and exits the frame. How is the cable stop? Cervélo has some interesting removable (ICS-3) on their new frames and was wondering how AX projected this area...

Can anyone share some pictures?

Stegger

by Stegger

Finally finished my build yesterday, or at least so it is rideable :D

Had my first short trip this morning before work in beautiful weather and with a bike that performed flawlessly!

AXAxel
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by AXAxel

ricojc wrote:Hi, Alex
Shall THM M3 crankset fit the Vail EVO well? I mean fit the M3 crankset without change the BB.
Hope your reply

Yes works without a problem. As Marco already wrote (and as quoted by jvan):
"For the BB the frame uses a direct fit BB386, so you don't have to use the THM cups. You can directly mount your THM M3 crankset. I have contacted THM, they advised me to use no spacers on the drive side and 2mm of spacers on the non-drive side."

Beaver wrote:Another question regarding the compatible cranksets: Do the FSA cranksets with bb386evo standard fit or does the "evo" differ from bb386?

Yes, the FSA cranks without any problem as well and do not require any adapter or spacer.

There seems to be some confusion on the BB, eventually I should write something together and/or add some dimensional sketch. To sum up again: With the ball bearings installed (that are pressed in directly into the frame's bottom bracket without any sleeve in between) the bottom bracket exactly replicates BB386evo dimensions, i.e. all cranks that work with a BB386evo already installed will also work on our VIAL evo.

rma wrote:I'm interested in seeing where the rear brake cable enters and exits the frame. How is the cable stop? Cervélo has some interesting removable (ICS-3) on their new frames and was wondering how AX projected this area...

Can anyone share some pictures?

The brake cable enters the frame's top tube on the front right side and exists it on the rear left. That way we can leave away and liner or guide inside the frame (and thus save on weight) and still effectively prevent any chance of rattling. The cable stops are moulded into the frame and accept the cable housing without any ferrules. I can of course also take some detail picturesif needed.

stereotaipei wrote:I am planning to buy one frame (assuming AX-lightness answers emails, I have been waiting for 6 weeks and have written 5 times without getting an answer yet). Quick question: if I want to use Dura Ace Di2, what should I buy for cabling? (part number, length).
thanks

Unacceptable and it is me who is to be blamed there directly. I can with good conscience say that I am trying my very best but not at last especially now with the Eurobike planning and preparations as well as work behind the scenes and in our production I am not at my desk all the time. I can only apologize and ask you to please email me directly again at wiedemann(at)ax-lightness.de for me to have the email up top again and I will come back to you ASAP for sure.

Di2 cabling slightly depends on the size, but I'd recommend 2x 400mm (from the shifters to the frontal junction box), 1x 1000mm (from the frontal junction box to the one near the BB - dependant on the size of the frame though), 1x 600mm (1x BB junction box to RD), 1x 650mm (BB junction box to the seatpost battery - dependant on size and location) and another time 1x 400mm (BB junction box to FD). I am solely talking about the EW-SD50 cable here.

@Marc: Congrats!!!!! :thumbup: Has been a while, but let us know if it lives up to your expectations as well as your findings! :-)
/Nils

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Steggar,
Great photo composure but can't get over the thought of how nice that picture would look with a polarizing filter on the lens. More details please!!

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Steggar,
Great photo composure but can't get over the thought of how nice that picture would look with a polarizing filter on the lens. More details please!!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hello,

two things i am not getting.

3T Rigida LTD is marked at 285g at 3T, at AX it is 340g.
Is paint building 55g, or is it special made for Vial?

Standard 3T rigida axle to crown is 367mm, THM CT is 372mm.
That is a difference of 5mm, it would affect the BB drop, stack height and angle.
Or are the 3T Rigida special made for AX Lightness?

What rim clearance is it in the forks (same)?
What is widest rim you can use in forks and rear?

Thanks
Wheels
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Krull

by Krull

wheelsONfire wrote:Hello,

two things i am not getting.

Is paint building 55g, or is it special made for Vial?

they use rigida stealth, which is a -team in ud matte black.
regards

jvanv8

by jvanv8

wheelsONfire wrote:two things i am not getting...

Italian vs German scales perhaps.... ;)
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jvanv8 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:two things i am not getting...

Italian vs German scales perhaps.... ;)

No, it's like Krull wrote. I missed that the 3T is team (340g) and not Ltd version.

I wonder if the frame made and sold with 3T is different compared to THM version?
The THM fork is 5mm longer (axle to crown) so head tube could be a bit different on the frames versions (3T or THM).
If not, this would affect angles, BB drop and trail.
Not much, but it would.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jimborello

by jimborello

Come on guys I placed the order since Feb and I still have no news about my frameset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com