AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EightFiveTwo

by EightFiveTwo

jvanv8 wrote:Nice! I've been thinking about those wheels as well but have been waiting for AX to release the details of the new 38mm tubulars with similar wide rim and aero profile to better make the tubular vs clincher decision. I was under the impression that the Ultra 28 Clinchers where even harder to source which was another reason I justified the wait. Interesting to know they are in the wild.

you mentioned r2bike, they have both the frame (certain sizes) and the 28-clincher wheels "in stock" ! I had the srt-42 tubulars before, and they do look nice. Both new and old version of rims have the "home-make-like" stickers which don't go well with the great quality of the carbon works.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Stickers are stickers. I'm interested in how those Ultra Clinchers ride once you get them setup.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AXAxel
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by AXAxel

Cheers guys,
In regards to the lead time(s) it indeed is the case that the "D" framesets have a longer leadtime than non-D ones. This is due to the THM forks as well being handbuilt in Germany and therefore not coming in that large quantities - same with our frame (to not be putting the blame on THM here in any way - we are extremely happy with our cooperation): We have a capacity of ca. 250 frames max per year and each of them is elaborately built by hand which simply takes its time.
Of course we are aiming for a better and I hope to have reworked and updated our production schedules shortly in order to be able to at least give you more concrete lead times or delivery dates. My apologies that it currently is a bit slow: I am completely occupied with the Eurobike preparation. Everyone can really feel welcome to step by and visit us here: We are to be found at booth B3-108A.

In regards to the clinchers: Gerrit Glomser loved them at the Transalp - that much that he has not wanted to go back to tubulars any longer.
I am currently testing these... to be launched at Eurobike.

/Nils

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Very interested to know about the new rim cross section and weight. I'd guess 26mm width (outer) tubular but I'll be eager to find out if has a toroidal profile, and if so, how it differs from the Stream. With the wide toroidal clinchers already available, perhaps this is the last step in phasing out the "V" profile SRT rims?
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

AXAxel

by AXAxel

You seem to be very well informed (actually already seemed so from your previous posts as well) :!: :twisted:

In this case only halfway correct though (still more truth in it than seems) - a higher resolution pic may help in this case. :thumbup:
/Nils

hawklongly

by hawklongly

Hallo,Axel
There are two questions to ask
1, bb386 specifications are compatible with Campagnolo Ultra Torque crank
2, the ax official website, vial evo pictures in the show fork, not 3t, nor thm, in the end what is the brand, I really like the fork, do not know whether to buy.

Hope to get your answer as soon as possible, thank you
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote

AXAxel

by AXAxel

Hi hawk,
The VIAL evo uses carbon bearing seats for the BB and can thus omit the standard nylon/plastic/alu bearing sleeves, that way boosting stiffness (as a/the sleeve arguably is softer than the carbon construction) and reducing weight. With installed bearings the BB replicates BB386 dimensions.
That way you are able to use Campagnolo's newer OverTorque standard without any adapters as also confirmed by Campa themselves and already utilized by a couple of our customers.
Campagnolo's UltraTorque cranks will however not work with the VIAL evo. There admittedly is an FSA BB386 UltraTorque adapter, this one however only works with frames that feature the standard 46mm hollow shell without integrated bearing seats, so
UltraTorque: no
OverTorque: yes

Fork-wise as you may know both versions are available:
- the VIAL evo D with THM Scapula CT fork:
Imageax VIAL evo D - frameset by AX-Lightness GmbH, Creußen/BY/Germany, on Flickr
- the VIAL evo with 3T Rigida Stealth fork:
Imageax VIAL evo - frameset by AX-Lightness GmbH, Creußen/BY/Germany, on Flickr

Both versions feature the same frame and the difference (and surcharge) comes down to the different forks.
/Nils

hawklongly

by hawklongly

AXAxel wrote:Hi hawk,
The VIAL evo uses carbon bearing seats for the BB and can thus omit the standard nylon/plastic/alu bearing sleeves, that way boosting stiffness (as a/the sleeve arguably is softer than the carbon construction) and reducing weight. With installed bearings the BB replicates BB386 dimensions.
That way you are able to use Campagnolo's newer OverTorque standard without any adapters as also confirmed by Campa themselves and already utilized by a couple of our customers.
Campagnolo's UltraTorque cranks will however not work with the VIAL evo. There admittedly is an FSA BB386 UltraTorque adapter, this one however only works with frames that feature the standard 46mm hollow shell without integrated bearing seats, so
UltraTorque: no
OverTorque: yes

Fork-wise as you may know both versions are avai

Both versions feature the same frame and the difference (and surcharge) comes down to the different forks.
/Nils

Axel, thanks for your reply
It took me some time to find this, you see, is not to be used campagnolo UltraTorque crank
[img]file:///C:/Users/hawk.jia/Pictures/IMG_1639%20(800x600).jpg[/img]
[img]file:///C:/Users/hawk.jia/Pictures/IMG_1640%20(800x600).jpg[/img]
[img]file:///C:/Users/hawk.jia/Pictures/IMG_1641%20(800x600).jpg[/img]

In addition, the image below in the fork, what type? I really like it, do not know is you can buy.
[img]file:///C:/Users/hawk.jia/Pictures/evo.jpg[/img]
Thank you again
Hawk

AXAxel

by AXAxel

Hi hawk,
Your pics do not show up when you link them to your disk; either use an online platform to link them or of course feel welcome to simply mail us directly!
I'll then take a look at them then and will immediately come back to you. :thumbup:
/Nils

Stegger

by Stegger

AXAxel wrote:1.) I have not had yet a Stages in my hands in person and do not know about its dimensions, but please find some pics I just took of a VIAL evo with installed Dura-Ace FC-9000 chainset: clearance VIAL evo/Dura-Ace 9000 cranks.

/Nils

Just ordered a Dura-Ace FC-9000 Stages power meter that should be here in a few weeks, and will let you all know if it fits the frame (as I highly expect it will) :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Stegger wrote:
AXAxel wrote:1.) I have not had yet a Stages in my hands in person and do not know about its dimensions, but please find some pics I just took of a VIAL evo with installed Dura-Ace FC-9000 chainset: clearance VIAL evo/Dura-Ace 9000 cranks.

/Nils

Just ordered a Dura-Ace FC-9000 Stages power meter that should be here in a few weeks, and will let you all know if it fits the frame (as I highly expect it will) :thumbup:

I have a stages on a FC-9000 crankarm... to my untrained eye.. you have the clearance. :thumbup:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Stegger

by Stegger

spdntrxi wrote:I have a stages on a FC-9000 crankarm... to my untrained eye.. you have the clearance. :thumbup:

Thanks spdntrxi, that is what I guessed as well from looking at multiple pictures of the FC-9000 Stages crank and the above picture so keeping my fingers crossed but pleased we agree on that :thumbup:

Rippin

by Rippin

Nils, I hope you offer a gloss version (as you did with the Team edition). The latest photos you posted looks like the frameset has a gloss clear coat (even though it is matt/semi gloss). A full gloss version would look stunning!
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

SangJae

by SangJae

Nils, I sent you an URGENT EMAIL about the frameset I've recieved and please check it out ASAP.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

SangJae wrote:Nils, I sent you an URGENT EMAIL about the frameset I've recieved and please check it out ASAP.

Hmmmmm