AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tharmor

by tharmor

I guess the frame killed it in a recent review. How's your German?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

From what I can gather, as my German is infinitely limited (if existent at all - and my family even questions my English abilities), the review is not as in-depth as I would have hoped. Is a second page missing or a more in-depth review to follow?

The summary of the written critique basically touts that the Vial EVO is a great frame. The reasoning seems a bit generic in that it's (paraphrasing a broken translation) "laterally stiff yet vertically compliant" ... which is what many magazines say about 90% of carbon frames on the market. The German magazine also points out that Vial EVO is pricey, but compared to others in the category and the fact that it's made in Germany, it's very well priced. However, I had hoped TOUR would dig deeper into the construction and setup (cable routing, headset, geometry, etc) but they did not.

They listed it as 1042 grams, which I think includes the headset and derailleur hanger, and maybe more(?) - I understand AX ships the frame with headset, BB bearings, and internal cable housing/guides, in addition to to the rear derailleur hanger and seatpost clamp. For many bikes that can add up to 100-200 grams extra.

They did provide quantifiable data with the little graphic at the bottom, perhaps a regular reader can tell us where the Vial EVO falls in relation to other frames.

The one negative was regarding the rear wheel stiffness I think... but certainly someone here can explain that better.

Overall, unless I'm missing some critical points, the review is rather bland and predictable regarding a boutique lightweight frameset from a German manufacturer. Perhaps fellow weightweenies or Axel himself can fill in some of those gaps... a special frame like this warrants more attention than the standard fare.
Last edited by jvanv8 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

djconnel

by djconnel

If I'm reading that page correctly (load the image into its own page to get full resolution) that mass would include the fork.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

ah, yes, @ 1042g, of course the fork too.
My Cycling Blog

1234SO

by 1234SO

This is not a Tour test. The magazin is called roadbike. The test is very positive - the best frameset ever tested.

Bottom bracket is very stiff and the steering head is stiff (stiffer than the RCA according to roadbike - i compared the values with a test on the website of roadike).

Caveat: the bike/frame was not yet available as a series production at the time the test was conducted. While it seems to be an amazing frameset, in which i am seriously interested in, i remain somewhat reluctant

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Ahh, that explains it. Not sure why I thought it was Tour Magazin.
Regardless.. so far, so good AX!
My Cycling Blog

Krull

by Krull

"....der unbändige vorwärtsdrang....." i love it! ;-)

Stegger

by Stegger

mnmasotto wrote:Has anyone elso received their frame?

Just received my UPS tracking number from AX lightness today and the package is underway :D

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I've noticed some changes in the cable routing location, especially for the derailleur guides.
Unless I'm misreading the photos, original (renderings?) positioned the guide on the outer edges of the downtube...

Most of the pre-order and early release frames show the guide to be on the top edges of the squared off downtube:

Is there any reason behind the change from the outer edge guide to a top edge guide? A layman like me would think outer edge placement would allow for cable movement to be more free.

Also, and hopefully MarcoB can explain his experience, how does the cable interface with the guides? Is it compatible with all cable housing?
My Cycling Blog

Stegger

by Stegger

Just got confirmation that my frame has been delivered at my doorstep :!: :!: :!:

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Care to share that address :)
My Cycling Blog

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Stegger.......How about an update, photos

rma

by rma

The holes in the frame may have something to do with the overall stiffness and frame torsional strength. On the edges, the stress forces can be a bit chaotic around the hole and may compromise the frame qualities that AX wants

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Pretty much what I thought. Sort of interesting to see the various renditions and models before the final design as any last-minute change certainly had a good reason.
I'm thinking either Stegger got mugged at his front door, or he's out riding.
My Cycling Blog

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rma

by rma

jvanv8 wrote:Pretty much what I thought. Sort of interesting to see the various renditions and models before the final design as any last-minute change certainly had a good reason.
I'm thinking either Stegger got mugged at his front door, or he's out riding.

If he's out riding and the bike rides the way we think it rides, he'll be in that ride for a LONG time!