AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

To me it seems there are indirect suggestions that bikes that are comfortable is deemed as less stiff and slower. I have too little time in the saddle to say anything about that.
But my first two rides suggested that the frame is both fast and comfortable. Personally i have found that discomfort (harsh riding bikes) when i ride makes me ride slower. Especially when i start getting tired and / or pain start to peak. It seems even Canyon suggest, the future in road bikes goes towards built in comfort as lack of it affects the rider in a negative manner (can not achieve at his/ her best.)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Jan Heine says the perception that super-high pressure in tires, and also that narrower tires, are faster is due to the increase perception of road vibration which is associated with speed. When the vibrations are dulled, there's less tangible feedback of speed, and the perception is the bike is going slower. It stands to reason the same would apply to vibration damping by the frame.

If I was in the market for a new frame, geometry aside, the AX looks very attractive to me. The geometry would be a factor, but then maybe it would fit.

eric01

by eric01

Got alert from Starbike that my vial evo has shipped! Planning on moving parts over from existing bike. DA9000 mechanical, zipp wheels, some other bits and bobs but nothing too exotic. Will post pics when I get it built up.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

djconnel

by djconnel

Somewhat off topic, but here's a plot of the AX Lightness weighed and rated (for weight) in Tour magazine. It's tied with Cervelo RCA 2nd symbol from the left. Surprisingly (to me) Trek Emonda SLR vapor coat beat them both. The Cervelo gives up some weight for improved aerodynamics and a stronger fork. The AX was the most comfortable, per their metric, just ahead of the Rose (3rd from left on the plot). The Rose won the overall test in part because Tour gave it the same 1.0 rating as the other 3.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

djconnel wrote:Jan Heine says the perception that super-high pressure in tires, and also that narrower tires, are faster is due to the increase perception of road vibration which is associated with speed. When the vibrations are dulled, there's less tangible feedback of speed, and the perception is the bike is going slower. It stands to reason the same would apply to vibration damping by the frame.

If I was in the market for a new frame, geometry aside, the AX looks very attractive to me. The geometry would be a factor, but then maybe it would fit.

Yes that is same when you ride motorcycle fast. A bad handling bike feels super fast while a sharp handling, feels stable which make you ride much faster to get same feel of speed.

I wonder, let's say you use 21mm rims with 25mm tires, or you use 25mm rims with 25mm tires, how much does this really change in feel?
I guess the wider rim is too prefer for wider tires, but for the feel of it i wonder how much difference there really is.
I have some Veloflex Carbon at home, inflated them to 110psi and checked width. They're over 26mm and personally i think it's too much for CCU rims.
I think my rear tire, Vittoria SR (24.5mm wide inflated to 110psi) is tops of what i would use on these rims.
Sadly where i live, there are no possibilty to loan a wheelset for a test run.

2 years ago i ran a Fulcrum Red Wind XLR with Conti Force and Attack. Then i changed to Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 25mm tires. I disliked the 25mm tires directly. They felt much slower and sluggish while climbing. I used them a long time, but i never liked them.
I think for CCU i will just buy 22mm from now and on as most tires seem to become wider once inflated. Excerpts may be Conti tires.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Mopsbert

by Mopsbert

It has become a bit silent in this discussion, which heated my passion for the Vial Evo frame during winter.

In February I received the frame in M with the THM fork, then I built up my personal cycle dream with many parts out of my old "Team Alpecin" bike from the former season (a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Frame with Red, Quarq powermeter and Lightweight Meilenstein tubulars equiped).
Saddle, seatpost and stem (all from Specialized and quiet heavy) were replaced.
Maybe also the handlebar from Specialized will also be changed with a THM or Lightweight part.

In March when the weather was fair I've it was time for the maiden voyage through my beloved Taunus (I am living in the Rheingau close to Wiesbaden and Mainz in Germany).
Unbelievable how that bike performed. Well, I've also lost nearly 11 kilos which helped a bit do ascend on the local hills.
Overall, my built has a total weight including pedals (Look Keo Blade TI), 25mm tires with milk in it and the bottle cages by 5.850g. 740g less than the 2014er ride.

Here are some impressions

drmarg

by drmarg

Mopsbert,
What a beautiful bike! The build components and fit looks really good. Just the right amount of spacer height above the head tube. WOW! The AX Lightness Morpheus crankset would be really nice on this bike. Any plans to lighten the bike in the future?
Congratulations on such a nice build! By the way, great photos!
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 6.03kg
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 5.44kg
2014 BMC TeamElite 01 MTB 9.07kg

Mopsbert

by Mopsbert

drmarg wrote:Mopsbert,
What a beautiful bike! The build components and fit looks really good. Just the right amount of spacer height above the head tube. WOW! The AX Lightness Morpheus crankset would be really nice on this bike. Any plans to lighten the bike in the future?
Congratulations on such a nice build! By the way, great photos!

Thanks Drmarg,
went to some nice locations at my surrounding incl. a heavy and unwieldy bikestand for those shoots. At least the camera (Sony RX100 I) was tiny.
The only plans to lighten the bike are a lighter saddle -> possibly the Selle Italia Tekno or AX Lightness Leaf plus.
Furthermore the Schmolke handlebar. Currently the budget is a bit utilized, maybe end of summer.
But I won't invest into a new crankset, wattmeasurement is to important for me (and I'm not a fan of the lighter pedal solution). But yes, it would spare lots of weight with the Morpheus (great, no question) or my preferred choice - a THM Clavicula.
Finally the tubulars in 25mm width are heavy especially filled with the tyre sealant in them. They were mounted by the Lightweight guys and are very comfortable. Maybe when I rode them down which will happen on the rear mid of summer (I usually ride between 1500-2000km in each spring and summer months) I try the 23mm version. But that will only save around 20g.
Lighter tires have the disadvantage of being to puncture critical, I prefer suitability for the daily use -> but hard when you have in mind that it is possible to save 250g in total by using light tubulars like the Tufo Elite 160 (my spare tyre in a bottle box)).
Anyway, Thanks for your compliments. I really appreciate that :-)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I am a bit curious, all of you who ride Vial EVO (D), if you had not been buying this frame, what had you bought instead?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I would have bought the Cervelo RCA or the new Crumpton had the wait list not been 9 months!!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mnmasotto wrote:I would have bought the Cervelo RCA or the new Crumpton had the wait list not been 9 months!!

Oops, those are both rather expensive frames. It's like Vial EVO D and a set of Obermayers for just the RCA frame.
But i sure wouldn't cry if i could afford RCA 2015.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

steventran

by steventran

If not a new crankset, you could drop about 60 grams with Extralite chainrings.

Stegger

by Stegger

wheelsONfire wrote:I am a bit curious, all of you who ride Vial EVO (D), if you had not been buying this frame, what had you bought instead?

I was tempted to try a Parlee when I ordered my Vial.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Stegger wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:I am a bit curious, all of you who ride Vial EVO (D), if you had not been buying this frame, what had you bought instead?

I was tempted to try a Parlee when I ordered my Vial.

I can see an interest. Which model?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmarg

by drmarg

What about the Lightweight Urgestalt? I realize it is manufactured in the far east but the bike build quality is beautiful. Any comparisons there with the Vial. Test rides/
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 6.03kg
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 5.44kg
2014 BMC TeamElite 01 MTB 9.07kg