AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Where are you based jimborello? Last time I checked jedi sports in Germany had medium and large in stock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cfred84

by cfred84

Well. Better than me already. Placed my order in End Sept 2013 at Starbikes.
Till now have not gotten it.
Apparently cuz e Scapula fork is in short supply!

Krull

by Krull

wheelsONfire wrote:I wonder if the frame made and sold with 3T is different compared to THM version?
The THM fork is 5mm longer (axle to crown) so head tube could be a bit different on the frames versions (3T or THM).
If not, this would affect angles, BB drop and trail.
Not much, but it would.

this is an interesting question! 5 mm is not such small difference. i would mind my bike being 5 mm higher in the front.
if there is only one frametype for both forks, it would be interesting to know, to which setup the geometry-chart refers.

jimborello

by jimborello

I ordered it with the Scapula fork. It seems thats why this is taking this long.

cfred84

by cfred84

Same here... Sigh.. Hope they get it sorted out soon!!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Are you joking? Have you been waiting 1 year for a frame and not gotten it yet!?
I would be seriously mad.

No-one that knows if the head tube lenghts are different due to choice of fork?
I repeat, THM: 372mm, 3T: 367mm.
Question is, if they're not, which fork was frame designed with!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

All those of you who have a Vial EVO, or EVO D.
Anyone that would like to give an honest review?
Is it stiff enough but still comfortable. I may just say, i had a Foil a few years ago and i don't consider Foil as comfortable at all.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Stegger

by Stegger

wheelsONfire wrote:All those of you who have a Vial EVO, or EVO D.
Anyone that would like to give an honest review?
Is it stiff enough but still comfortable. I may just say, i had a Foil a few years ago and i don't consider Foil as comfortable at all.

I will do proper introduction and review of my bike soon in the appropriate subsection of this forum. Now for the short version, I came from a Cervelo SLC-SL to the EVO D size XL and I am trilled by its quality, stiffness (especially in the head tube) but most of all by the frames level of comfort. I was very amazed on the first few rides by how much vibrations it absorbed and at the same time seems like a very agile racing machine that corners really really well - much better, to me at least, than my Cervelo. I am not that heavy, 160 pounds or so, and that does not give rise to any notable flex in the BB area, and of course it is stiffer than the SLC-SL, but I also expected it to be and it did not disappoint here either. All in all, I am very pleased with my new bike!

If you have any specific questions or things you would like pictures of, please let me know!
Last edited by Stegger on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Good to hear Stegger. Still I feel bad for cfred who ordered before most of the world even knew the frame existed.
#GiveCFred84aVialEvoD
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

cfred84

by cfred84

Haha indeed the weight is quite frustrating.
Then again I'm the same guy who Ted (Ciamillo) kept me waiting for 6 months before I finally asked for the $ back!
Thankfully I already have a Lynskey Helix OS that I am currently riding.

Hopefully they do get it sorted out soon!!
Afterall, else why do a preorder 6 months prior to launch and 6 months later I still do not have it!
Cant wait to get my hands on it if and when I finally get it! *fingers crossed*

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hey Stegger, sure there are a few questions.
Do you notice any gains in your speed using Vial EVO compared to your previous Cervelo?
Only thing i have heard so far, is that Vial EVO was pretty close to Scott Addict SL.
I actually look at a fully custom built Berk composite frame to. Not as light as Vial EVO though.
They may be a bit different to ride. It's sad that it is not possible to test ride any of them for me.
Mostly i would like to actually know what the low weight may give in terms of honest performance.
I could discuss this in the size of a novel. There are really no objective reviews of Vial EVO avaible, neither do i see any reviews of customers who can do a compairson with another pre-owned or other new bike.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

morrisond

by morrisond

Will a 25 mm Conti 4000S II Clincher on a Enve 3.4 fit in the Scapula CT Fork?

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Pretty impressive 5 star review of this bike in Cycling plus magazine this month. 5.28kgs with dura ace di2 (full gruppo with DA calipers and chainset) with the Ultra 28 clinchers. Size Large.

Any news on the 45mm ultra clinchers mentioned earlier in this thread? In the market for some wheels of this description - keen to explore non-Meilenstein options!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

Stegger

by Stegger

morrisond wrote:Will a 25 mm Conti 4000S II Clincher on a Enve 3.4 fit in the Scapula CT Fork?

This is the CT fork with 23 mm Conti 4000S II clincher tires, where I estimate there is about 3 mm of space around the tire:

Stegger

by Stegger

wheelsONfire wrote:Hey Stegger, sure there are a few questions.
Do you notice any gains in your speed using Vial EVO compared to your previous Cervelo?

I am of course aware that aero tubing minimises drag and thus speed, however since I am talking other wheels and setup to the Cervelo I would not read too much into smaller difference on standard roads but the fastest time I set on a smaller "standardised" ride was on the Vial. That said, I feel fast on this bike as it is stiff, responsive AND corners really really well. Provide it with a good set of aero wheels, fitting clothes and a more aero helmet it should be fast enough for mostly everyone here even against the more aero dynamic frames out there. As you can tell, I am very happy with my purchase and it was by far worth the waiting time :D And given its ride qualities and weight, the price level seems very reasonable to me, also considered it is made in Germany (not that that perhaps inherently increases quality).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com