Time VXRS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brecht

by brecht

Came across these pictures on the net...
I'm not a big fan of the handlebar curve though

Any forum members who have ridden this frame? How is the translink seatpost?
It would definetly look good with LW's... :shock:

The colour scheme is kind of cool I think, distinctive black with a nice red and white touch

turbo pepper

by turbo pepper

A brilliant frame made into a really nice bike. I have not ridden one myself but know many who do. They all like it.

However, take your pick from Scott, Cervelo, BMC, Colnago, Spin, Storck etc etc for a great carbon frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cortinovis

by cortinovis

here are some other time bikes
Attachments
time
time
vxrs_tortor.jpg
timesiba.jpg
123079314.jpg
Good luck Sheldon Brown and may Igor fly with you.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

brecht wrote:Came across these pictures on the net...
I'm not a big fan of the handlebar curve though

Any forum members who have ridden this frame? How is the translink seatpost?
It would definetly look good with LW's... :shock:

Indeed a very nice bike, brecht. I think I've seen it before somewhere.

And yes, these bikes look great with Lightweights. I have allready seen one... 2 WW-members will be riding a Time VXR as their team bikes (with nicer bars, luckily) and I have seen them: great bikes! They both have LWs and I saw a picture of the bike with these wheels :shock: - at least one of them is willing to share a picture of his bike (I convinced him) as soon as it is totally finished. :wink:

brecht

by brecht

C a s r a n wrote: at least one of them is willing to share a picture of his bike (I convinced him) as soon as it is totally finished. :wink:

That would be nice!!!

Sybarite

by Sybarite

They are nice when new and ridewise not very stiff - but I have seen a couple with longer term (one less than 6 months) reliability issues.

The headset lower race has very small bearings. They look like 3mm balls but I couldn't tell as they had mostly disintegrated. Seems more like a design flaw to have such tiny bearings on the lower race.

Other issues I have seen are corrosion related - rear dropouts bubbling, with the carbon bonded area bulging. Cable stoppers dropping off due to corrosion.

brecht

by brecht

I also caught up some problems with the headset...
These problems should'nt occur on such an expensive frameset :?

grose tete

by grose tete

They are nice when new and ridewise not very stiff - but I have seen a couple with longer term (one less than 6 months) reliability issues.

The headset lower race has very small bearings. They look like 3mm balls but I couldn't tell as they had mostly disintegrated. Seems more like a design flaw to have such tiny bearings on the lower race.

Other issues I have seen are corrosion related - rear dropouts bubbling, with the carbon bonded area bulging. Cable stoppers dropping off due to corrosion.

Could it be replaced with other headset?

brecht

by brecht

turbo pepper wrote:
However, take your pick from Scott, Cervelo, BMC, Colnago, Spin, Storck etc etc for a great carbon frame.

Maybe you're right. With the Cervelo R3 a similar, but much lighter build could be more interesting...

Hmmm, dreaming....

I will definitly give them a look during kuurne-brussel-kuurne next month.
I wonder how those seatstays look like for real.. :twisted:

Will post some pictures, if CSC will be riding them off course, and if there is no snow :roll:

more images on
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT_ZOOM&PRODUCT.ID=1945&LAST_ZOOM_IDX=2&ZOOM_IDX=1

Lord Vader

by Lord Vader

brecht wrote:
turbo pepper wrote:

Maybe you're right. With the Cervelo R3 a similar, but much lighter build could be more interesting...

Hmmm, dreaming....

I will definitly give them a look during kuurne-brussel-kuurne next month.
I wonder how those seatstays look like for real.. :twisted:

Will post some pictures, if CSC will be riding them off course, and if there is no snow :roll:

more images on
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT_ZOOM&PRODUCT.ID=1945&LAST_ZOOM_IDX=2&ZOOM_IDX=1

It would be great if you post some pics of the R3. I'm also interessted in that frame and it would be nice to see it with CSC equipment, especially with Zipp wheels (on the cycling-shows the R3 was just equipped with the stock easton/velomax wheels)

Sybarite

by Sybarite

grose tete wrote:

Could it be replaced with other headset?
No - it's their own invention.....

BTW - I have seen Cervelos with auto popoff cable stops as well. Trouble with the build when they use bare alu rivets into bare drilled carbon - holes.....corrosion starts

jerk
in the industry

by jerk

a nice light bike but not nearly stiff enough torsionally. the drivetrain is plenty stiff enough as is the fork, stem and headtube assembly, but the thing is a noodle in terms of torsional rigidity.

that's why the jerk is replacing his with a custom dogma fp

55x58.5 73.2 sa 41cm stays and a fc of >60cm....should be fun!

the new r3 is a really stiff bike but the soloist will be the weapon of choice for team csc unless the course demands tires that can't fit in the soloist carbon...
there is no way one could overpower the r3. it is really rigid and solid feeling in terms of its flex from front to back.....alot of manufacturers look at bb rigidity and then neglect the torsional rigidity that has as much to do with drop outs and top tubes as chainstays....anyway cervelo nailed it...pegoretti nails it and the jerk thinks pinarello gets it too.

jerk
the jerk is always right!
the jerk thinks your stem is too short!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Since we're talking about Time frames..... :?

Am I correct in thinking that their Quickset headset setting thingie can be used on any other fork of the same diameter?
If so, anyone having hands on experience with that?

BTW, I love the way Time engineers their frames.
There's often quite a bit of clever engineering involved whether that be their "Stiff" tubing insert (I'd prefered a Y shape iso a cross though) or their smart combinations of various composities to combine the properties of for optimum results.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

VVV

by VVV

I've always loved Time frames, but everytime bike buying time rolls around, I can't get myself to buy one, I don't get what's wrong with me, everytime I see one I want one, but then I talk myself out of it, I need to see a doctor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roleur21

by roleur21

We sell Time and Cervelo and I think that Time is typically French in that they have completely overthought all of the miniscule details and missed the bigger picture (similar to another genius French company: Citroen).

I always remember their early post-TVT era carbon frames with intricate internal lugs that would hold the frame together if the bonds ever failed, but in the mean time everybody else just discovered better glue and prep methods to prevent disbonding altogether, and then went to Taiwan to lower the cost of a frame to the point that they could ship warranty frames no questions asked, now they are doing the same thing with China.

Mainly, I think that the Time is a beautiful piece with amazing workmanship, but next to the new R3 with monocoque looking Chinese construction (read, 4 coats of bondo and paint making it look monocoque, which it's not) the Time looks completely antiquated. I'm sure that the Time is probably better constructed and has numerous clever construction details that are really cool, but the Cervelo will outsell it 10 to 1 at a similar price because they are much more current with the market. And at the end of the day the Cervelos will have just as many problems as the Times (we saw lots of problems with R2.5's) but the replacement cost will be so cheap that they will send you a replacement at the drop of a hat and the customer will be thrilled with the service. Brilliant!