Trek Madone vs Domane

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

benhama

by benhama

I know that the Trek Madone with its KVF features is meant to be super aero, saving something like 25 watts at 40kph. I appreciate that the Domane has a more "sportive" position, but would still be interested to hear any thoughts of how aero the Domane is by comparison. If there are free watts going....them I'll have some :)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

My wife has a Domane, which I get to wash every couple of weeks. My impression of the bike is that Trek opted for traditional tube shapes, oriented for comfort, rather than aero, on these bikes. That isn't to say that they didn't hide the cables, but aerodynamics were not the principal concern of this design. If you want aero, then Madone (which I hear is pretty comfortable). If you value comfort, then Domane.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeePaton

by LeePaton

It depends really on your viewpoint.

Madone - Saves 0.25 watts at 40kph or whatever.
Domane - Saves energy by being comfortable.

If like me you ride on roads that are... well rubbish then the added comfort means I could arrive at the business end of a race fresher than my opponents which would be I feel personally more advantageous.

LeePaton

by LeePaton

Also due to the Madones brake placement and lack of seatstay bridge it's actually meant to be extremely comfortable compared to other pure race bikes. So yeah just go ride them both see which you prefer.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Pretty good year for both those machines. Domane won Flanders and Roubaix, Madone won MSR and the Vuelta. (The engines, particularly in Cancellara's case, had a lot to do with that of course.)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I can assure you the madone is really comfortable for a race bike, with the seat stay and seat mast design. I use tubulars too, and all this makes it as comfortable as I'll ever need it to be. The H1 race fit was what I was looking for, but if you want a more relaxed geometry the domane is a good choice too, because I think it'll look much better than the sloping top tube of the H2 madone :p

benhama

by benhama

Thanks guys really appreciate your input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com