Titanium Hill Climb Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

Honestly you can buy a 845g 54cm carbon road frame on EBAY these days for $500 which could make you light HC build on the cheap.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

I'd suggest looking for a really light road frame (like a good ally one - CAAD10, Allez etc or a China special) and fit an ENO hub to deal with chain tension (I think they're fixed friendly?). Easier to find a decent quality, light road frame than a track one. Plus you don't have to deal with a 74.5deg head tube angle and 30mm rake fork.

euan

by euan

ScuderiaDouroux wrote:The Sugino RD2 crank is both 130BCD and uses square taper, FYI.

Yep and its a road crank.

theosaurus

by theosaurus

Personally my way would be: light road frame, light track hub with spacers, simple chain tensioner, road chainset with 3/32 chain.
yes, but how much does it weigh?

BmanX

by BmanX

I have had a Specialized Langster build up very light at 6000g on the button. I have had my 2001 Giant TCR ZERO built up as a single speed as well and it was lighter at 5610g and there was so much more room for improvement over the Langster build.

I even had my single speed MTB down to almost 6000g with again more room to spare. None of these frames cost much. I would love to build up a new single speed with an Asia sourced frame that weights in at 845g as I know I could do much much better this time especially with a post/saddle combo from Berk to go with it. Front brake only and a few other tricks.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

cyclenutnz wrote:I'd suggest looking for a really light road frame (like a good ally one - CAAD10, Allez etc or a China special) and fit an ENO hub to deal with chain tension (I think they're fixed friendly?). Easier to find a decent quality, light road frame than a track one. Plus you don't have to deal with a 74.5deg head tube angle and 30mm rake fork.

If you are going road frame, you might as well get a lighter frame than a CAAD. The Eno is heavy unfortunately... but that would be better than using a tensioner. But a horizontal dropout would be best. Heck I don't even know of a rear SS hub that is light.

Seems like the WW single speed roadie is a rare beast. Lack of demand I guess, so lack of parts. If you look at all the parts you can remove or lighten for short HC efforts, it should be easy to save ~2kg vs a comparable road bike. <5kg should not be an exotic build at all.
formerly rruff...

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

euan: the Sugino RD2 is actually billed as a "singlespeed" crank.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

euan

by euan

I know and I have owned one. It is a road crank.

hzucker

by hzucker

I have a friend who built a ~9kg bike to train hills with. He loves it. aluminum frame, thick box wheels, heavy 105's, and bricks for brakes ahaha. He likes it because it makes him train so much harder than his ~7kg bike. he equates it to baseball players swinging with a weight to speed up their batting.

just an insight:)

JamieL

by JamieL

To be honest i've just always used my Zipp VumaQuad cranks - the inner chainring has no shift ramps - and spaced the cog at the back until the chainline is pretty good.

I was keeping an eye out for the Seta but sort of forgot over the summer when the HC sesaon seems so far away. first race on the fixie this year on sunday so i'll take some picture.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

This Litespeed was a "Classic" model road bike I purchased back in 2003. I had LItespeed convert it about 5 years ago to a road fixed gear with Ti horizontal rear track ends and all cable guides removed but retaining the bottle cage mounts. It is mostly Campy including the front brake, but the wheelset is Phil Wood and Velocity DVs.

-- fixedgeargallery.com

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

I´d say ENO hub as well. Of course the hub is kinda heavy but you can go for a normal road frame which saves you a lot more weight. Some old Scott carbon frame or something like that with 900g or less should be cheap at ebay.
With the road frame you can even go with the same geometrie like your normal roadbike (or almost the same) and at days you need to race the road bike you do not have to get used to it again like if you ride a track frame which feels a bit different.

JamieL

by JamieL

5.05kg with Power2max. I could probably save 500g with my zipp vumaquad crankset and a lighter rear tire but i'm a bit geeky so want to see my power after and the roads are going to be greasy tomorrow so need a bit more grip at the back.

Planet X frame
Planet X 20mm rims with Mack Hubs and sapim cx-ray
Tufo S3 Lite <125g front and Conti Podium rear (second Tufo punctured on test ride yesterday)
Deda Dabar + zero100 stem
FRM post
Selle Italia SLR stripped down
SRAM red front brake + brake lever off a giant Trinity (i think...)
Rotor 3D+ with P2M
Generic chainring (39) and cog (20)
KMC X10SL chain

Burgunder

by Burgunder

Great stuff!

I guess it's for Hillclimbs or do you just like to spin like a madman? ;)

Did you use magic gearing or Eno hub?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JamieL

by JamieL

Magic gear. Only for really steep hills about twice a year