11 sp Chorus shifters with 10 sp cassette a JTEK SUCCES!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Franklin

by Franklin

We own three Campa 10 sp equiped bikes and 6 pairs of wheels (and my brother another bike with three pair of wheels). My competition bike is equiped with Chorus 2004 which works absolutely fine. I wanted to change towards the new style shifters, but that gave me two viable options:

1. Convert all three bikes. Simply to expensive and a big waste of perfectly good parts.
2. Try Veloce/Centaur Q-Shift brifters. The q-Shift didn't make this a nice option, furthermore, there has been some odd backward compatibilty breakage in the ten speed (weaker spring in the rear derailleur).

Enter JTEK Shiftmate! Our LBS installed the brifters (kept the 2004 rear derailleur), aded a Jtek Shiftmate I imported (props to my LBS who loved the experiment). And it worked! Of course I should have known it would work, but it's always a relieve.

In the words of my LBS:

"Dang, it works absolutely perfectly"

A huge thumbup for Jtek. Now I can do the swap to 11 speed incrementally! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I want to try one of these so I can run campy shifters and mechs with a shimano cassette and a shimano hub for the drive side to hub centre spacing.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Franklin wrote:Enter JTEK Shiftmate! Our LBS installed the brifters (kept the 2004 rear derailleur), aded a Jtek Shiftmate I imported (props to my LBS who loved the experiment).
ShiftMate model #2 http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php I presume: Campagnolo 11 speed shifter + Campagnolo derailleur + Campagnolo 10 speed cassette.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

No-one reads a post that has a title containing the word 'brifters'.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Well, I don't know if you read it, but you posted in it.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

I think the term is acceptable to most of us.
r o y g b i v

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

bm0p700f wrote:I want to try one of these so I can run campy shifters and mechs with a shimano cassette and a shimano hub for the drive side to hub centre spacing.

There is no jtek for you... because it is almost a perfect match without one... for S10 cassettes. You might need to move the cable out from the fixing bolt a hair, in a less extreme Hubbub mod.

Heck, just put a Shimano rear derailleur on (I'm partial to the shiny 7700 model) a 9spd S cassette and chain, and you don't need a jtek or anything. For a 10 spd S cassette one of the jteks would work.
formerly rruff...

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

I second the "less extreme hubbub mod"

I'm using exactly the setup you mentioned to run Campy 10 speed cassette with Dura Ace 9 Shifter and rear mech. Dropped right in without resetting the limit screws.

Franklin

by Franklin

HammerTime2 wrote: I presume: Campagnolo 11 speed shifter + Campagnolo derailleur + Campagnolo 10 speed cassette.

Indeed. Hardly a surprise it worked, but I couldn't find many real world experiences. Thought I add mine for the community :wink:

Franklin

by Franklin

BobSantini wrote:I think the term is acceptable to most of us.

Strangely enough a mod changed it, so obviously it's not done to call it a brifter. Could have called it a n Ergo I guess :beerchug:

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

WMW wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:I want to try one of these so I can run campy shifters and mechs with a shimano cassette and a shimano hub for the drive side to hub centre spacing.

There is no jtek for you... because it is almost a perfect match without one... for S10 cassettes. You might need to move the cable out from the fixing bolt a hair, in a less extreme Hubbub mod.

Heck, just put a Shimano rear derailleur on (I'm partial to the shiny 7700 model) a 9spd S cassette and chain, and you don't need a jtek or anything. For a 10 spd S cassette one of the jteks would work.
WMW's information apparently pertains to Campagnolo 11 shifters.

But if bm0p700f wants to use Campagnolo 10 shifters, then ShiftMate model #1 http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php Campagnolo 10 speed shifter + Campagnolo derailleur + Campagnolo 10 speed cassette. Or if additionally, bm0p700f swaps out to Shimano derailleur, then ShiftMate model #3. As of 2007 (vintage equipment), Jtek surmised that the Shimano derailleur with Shiftmate model #3 should perform slightly better than Campagnolo derailleur with ShiftMate model #1 on account of the Shimano derailleur being stiffer. However, this surmisal was not based on testing, and reflected the equipment of the era (DA 7800 derailleur, Campagnolo Record 10 derailleur).

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Franklin wrote:
BobSantini wrote:I think the term is acceptable to most of us.

Strangely enough a mod changed it, so obviously it's not done to call it a brifter. Could have called it a n Ergo I guess :beerchug:

he he.
If I were a mod I'd delete all posts that misuse adverbs. Now THAT would be sensible.
r o y g b i v

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

HammerTime2 wrote:WMW's information apparently pertains to Campagnolo 11 shifters.

Absolutely. The new hoods are so much better, and you need Chorus shifters or better to get multiple gear changes in both directions.
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

budgetweenie wrote:I second the "less extreme hubbub mod" I'm using exactly the setup you mentioned to run Campy 10 speed cassette with Dura Ace 9 Shifter and rear mech. Dropped right in without resetting the limit screws.

A 9spd shifter will shift 10 gears?
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

Only shifts 9, accurately. The limit screw settings include the top cog but won't engage the lowest.