SOLVED - Head tube cable stop issue/problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanjob

by alanjob

Hi guys.

Long running issue/problem that some of us have been having with gear cabling hitting the front brake calliper.
I've had this on my winter/training bike and had to replacing my cabling 3 times due to damage brake is causing, but I finally solved this today.

Before:

After:

Used a standard V-Brake pipe guide, removed the inner lining, applied heat and bent to shape, repolished and reinsert liner.

Alan

bricky21

by bricky21

That's just weird. Not your fix, the cable hitting the brake issue. I've had several bikes with head tube cable stops and never had that issue. Can you post a head on photo? What kind of bike is that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanjob

by alanjob

bricky21 wrote:That's just weird. Not your fix, the cable hitting the brake issue. I've had several bikes with head tube cable stops and never had that issue. Can you post a head on photo? What kind of bike is that?

Hi, its an Airborne Thunderbolt.

Before:

Alan

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I had another comment written, but deleted. I too would like to see some more pictures of the whole setup. Still more please.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I see you have the right lever for the front brake. But what is up with those shifter cables?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

bricky21

by bricky21

There is some out of the ordinary stuff going on there. Why is the right cable drooping down so much? Do you have tension on it?

alanjob

by alanjob

bikerjulio wrote:I had another comment written, but deleted. I too would like to see some more pictures of the whole setup. Still more please.

After:

bikerjulio wrote:I see you have the right lever for the front brake. But what is up with those shifter cables?

The issue is: (before) the right cable gets damaged by the front brake when you turn left.

bricky21 wrote:There is some out of the ordinary stuff going on there. Why is the right cable drooping down so much? Do you have tension on it?

This is because the front brake is hitting the cable and forcing it down whilst damaging it.

Alan

eflayer

by eflayer

for one thing, I would say your housing runs are a tad too long = too much slop. another approach is to run the the shifter cables to the normally opposite cable stop and then cross the cables to the correct side under the down tube before they get to the bottom bracket. makes a simple little cable cross right underneath and in the middle of the downtube. this creates more efficient curves in front of the headtube...and in most cases alleviates interference with the brake cable. i swear this works perfectly.

eflayer

by eflayer

oops

apexrider

by apexrider

That's what happens when you use the right brake lever for the front brake, normally it's the other way around. Right is rear, left is front.

alanjob

by alanjob

eflayer wrote:for one thing, I would say your housing runs are a tad too long = too much slop. another approach is to run the the shifter cables to the normally opposite cable stop and then cross the cables to the correct side under the down tube before they get to the bottom bracket. makes a simple little cable cross right underneath and in the middle of the downtube. this creates more efficient curves in front of the headtube...and in most cases alleviates interference with the brake cable. i swear this works perfectly.

Hi, cables are slightly too long to allow me to remove the handle bars or turn them for transport or storage. I've tried running the cables on the opposite sides but it makes it even worse as that puts an extreme s bend in the cable. There is only 20mm before the brake is in the way and the brake still hits the cable. If my stops were on the down tube then there would be no issue as the cable would have space to bend.

apexrider wrote:That's what happens when you use the right brake lever for the front brake, normally it's the other way around. Right is rear, left is front.

Hi, It doesn't matter what way it's cabled as the brake is still in the way. This is the standard setup in the UK.

Alan

apexrider

by apexrider

alanjob wrote:
apexrider wrote:That's what happens when you use the right brake lever for the front brake, normally it's the other way around. Right is rear, left is front.

Hi, It doesn't matter what way it's cabled as the brake is still in the way. This is the standard setup in the UK.

Alan

You're right, my mistake.

Just took a picture of my setup, hopefully it's of some help.

alanjob

by alanjob

apexrider wrote:
alanjob wrote:

Alan

You're right, my mistake.

Just took a picture of my setup, hopefully it's of some help.

Hi, nice bike, looks a good size, could be why I have the problem because mine is a small frame (53 cm).

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

darnellrm

by darnellrm

This is the best solution to your problem. And shorten the housing as much as possib;e. This gives you long smooth bends with minimal cable friction. I'm surprised your solution with the noodle shifts at all.

eflayer wrote:for one thing, I would say your housing runs are a tad too long = too much slop. another approach is to run the the shifter cables to the normally opposite cable stop and then cross the cables to the correct side under the down tube before they get to the bottom bracket. makes a simple little cable cross right underneath and in the middle of the downtube. this creates more efficient curves in front of the headtube...and in most cases alleviates interference with the brake cable. i swear this works perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanjob

by alanjob

darnellrm wrote:This is the best solution to your problem. And shorten the housing as much as possib;e. This gives you long smooth bends with minimal cable friction. I'm surprised your solution with the noodle shifts at all.

Hi, it doesn't matter what way the cable runs theres too extreme a bend which is made worse by the brake when turning left. Other people have this issue and noodle ;) solves this. Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free