Dura Ace 9000 pedals - 4mm Longer axle option??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hatone

by hatone

Shimano offer the DA 9000 pedals with a 4mm longer axle over standard.

How do you determine if a rider needs a longer axle and can it be measured before purchasing? Is there a certain pelvis width that dictates a longer axle?

I'm unclear.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

I bought some as have huge quads and really like the slightly wider q.

spud

by spud

width is determined by attitude of foot on pedal (toe in/out, pronation, ankle prominence) and knee tracking requirements moreso than pelvis width (though it contributes). No simple measurement will suffice, as it is more of a dynamics issue. You'll need a proper fitting to determine if you would benefit from a wider spindle, unless you already know your pedal stroke is compromised by a narrow stance.

hatone

by hatone

I do have a tendency to bring my toe in slightly, ankle outwards plus I also have big quads too. With this in mind I'm considering a wider axle might help but wanted to see your thoughts.

hatone

by hatone

Here's my recent Retual bike fit dimensions. See knee tracing below - the test was done on a 50 mm Speedplay Ti axle with the cleats set almost to the most in position of each shoe, to improve Q-Factor.

GT56

by GT56

hatone wrote:I do have a tendency to bring my toe in slightly, ankle outwards plus I also have big quads too. With this in mind I'm considering a wider axle might help but wanted to see your thoughts.

don't see how they would help you. they would only bring your ankles further out but consider the 4 mm in relation to a seat height of let's say 750 mm

i find them helpful because of too little foot/ankle clearance (wide and flat feet)

Rick

by Rick

So does anyone have any first-hand anecdotal evidence, or has anyone discovered a credible source showing that the +4mm spindles (or any other wider spindle on any pedals) actually help ?

jeffy

by jeffy

i think that it was Cav @ Sky refusing to use DA pedals that strong armed Shimano into making them

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

If you don't want to commit to the longer pedal spindles, you can get extender bushings to set the pedals wider. Then if you like that, you can get the wider pedals, or just stick with the bushings.
Robert

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

If you don't want to commit to the longer pedal spindles, you can get extender bushings to set the pedals wider. Then if you like that, you can get the wider pedals, or just stick with the bushings.
Robert

GT56

by GT56

Rick wrote:So does anyone have any first-hand anecdotal evidence, or has anyone discovered a credible source showing that the +4mm spindles (or any other wider spindle on any pedals) actually help ?

i only have to look down to see that i now have proper clearance and do not run the risk of touching the crank arms especially when wearing booties

if 4 mm is too much, one can still move cleats

the only drawback for those racing criteriums (and all others that like to pedal through corners..) is the smaller ground clearance when cornering

mattr

by mattr

rpenmanparker wrote:If you don't want to commit to the longer pedal spindles, you can get extender bushings to set the pedals wider. Then if you like that, you can get the wider pedals, or just stick with the bushings.
Don't the extenders only come in one (?) length of about 20mm?

And the ones i've cursed and sworn at are only suited for use with pedals including spanner flats.

BRM

by BRM

hatone wrote:Shimano offer the DA 9000 pedals with a 4mm longer axle over standard.

How do you determine if a rider needs a longer axle and can it be measured before purchasing? Is there a certain pelvis width that dictates a longer axle?

I'm unclear.

Thanks

When you have a normal body build and move your feet just normal straight on the pedals, go standard.
Do you have larger feet, strange angles in legs/feet and touch the crancks frequently is there? Go for a longer spindle.
Also some shoes require bit more room than others. (Can remember people complaint about older types of Fizik shoes)

If you have a bike or used in the past you can look up spindle size to get an idea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

The object of the 4mm pedal spindles is to allow you to align your knee cap properly over your foot.
Knee should track over 2nd metatarsal.
Some riders need to be narrow, some need to be wider. Lower Q is not always better.
Have someone who knows how you pedal watch you ride.
You can play with width to some degree by moving cleats and adding 1mm pedal spacers. Most pedals can take 3mm of spacers.
If you get as wide as you can go with the 3mm of spacers and cleats full wide- you may be a good candidate for the +4mm pedals.