Dura Ace Brakes and pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmannarano1207

by dmannarano1207

Does anyone know what the second screw is for on the DuraAce 9000 brakes?
If you are just concentrating on the pad itself (shoe) one screw is to attach to caliper. What is the second screw for? Its right of the flair portion of the shoe. It is not in the tech manual.
What I am driving at is, can anyone recommend a lighter shoe without the flair and screw portion for my DuraAce that will work well with my carbon rims?
My first post be easy on me....
d

eric

by eric

Are you talking about the pad retaining screw? That's a 2mm hex screw that looks almost like a set screw.
They've been on Shimano pad holders for about 20 years.

Tip: unless they changed since 7800, you don't have to remove the screw to change pads, just back it out until the pad can slide free.
The screws are pretty light. I think they are aluminium. If not you can get aluminium ones.

EE makes a nice light pad holders that don't use the screws. Instead there is a small protrusion there, and you have to bend the pad to get it out of the holder. It works well but their holders are not cheap. They are the only Shimano style holders I know of that don't use screws.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmannarano1207

by dmannarano1207

No its not that. The screw is in the flair portion of the shoe, it looks as if it serves no purpose.
I have a pic, but I do not know how to add to post. I click the Img icon and nothing happens.
How do I add an image?
thanks
d

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Look at p. 25 of http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-BR0003-02-ENG.pdf or at http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-BR-9000-3322.pdf

There is a bolt to attach the brake shoe to the brake (shoe fixing bolt) and (per p. 25) the Fixing bolt to secure the brake pad within the brake shoe (which is what eric referred to). Are you talking about (per 2nd link above) part (11), Y8FA16000, which is labeled as Tire Guide, but looks like a bolt (is the tire guide removable by bolt?)?

Edit: I fixed the 2nd link above, which had been to a different component, but my text corresponded to the now corrected link.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dmannarano1207

by dmannarano1207

Yes, I guess mine has three screws.
One to attach the brake shoe to the caliper.
One to attach the brake pad to the shoe.
One that is something else.
If you look at pg 24 you will see the screw in the drawing....its directly below the pad and is on the flair portion of the shoe.

If it helps its a Madone 7.9 with DuraAce 9000 setup.

Can I email a pic to someone? I cannot attach a pic here, maybe its because I am a newbie.
Here is my email dmannarano (AT) hotmail.com, if someone wants to send me an email I will provide them with the pic and they can post it here or if someone can tell me how to post a pic I took with my camera and downloaded to my PC. I cannot even do a cut/paste.
d

dmannarano1207

by dmannarano1207

No it is a tire guide with a bolt/screw in it that I cannot find a purpose for.
Maybe it has not purpose on this bike but for some other setup.
I took all of them out. What I would really like to do is buy some ultra light weight shoes with pads that do not have a tire guide.
Any recommendations for the DuraAce 9000 setup with Carbon rims?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I believe the bolt on the tire guide function as the actual tire guide.

As eric stated above, if you want light brake shoes, easy to switch pads, no tire guides, but expensive, then EE brake shoes are a nice way to go http://fairwheelbikes.com/ee-brake-pad-holders-p-1964.html.

Edit: Also note that as described in my post above, I have now fixed the 2nd link in that post, so that it now shows the parts diagram for the DA 9000 brake, which is what I intended.

dmannarano1207

by dmannarano1207

I thank you all for your help.
I will look into it...after dropping 14k for this bike with all the extras seems kinda petty to worry about money at this point...
d

dmannarano1207

by dmannarano1207

Anybody know if EE brake pad holders are available through anyone else but fairwheelbikes?
They do not have them in stock.
What about B-T-P I heard they are just as light, but they are in Europe and not sure how to order that way.
d

lannes

by lannes

That little screw under the brake pad is the depth warning screw, it rubs on your rims when your pad depth is too low.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Yes the screw is plastic and softer than the metal (pad holder) its screwed into.

So when it starts rubbing it wont wear your (deep section) rims down, it'll wear the screw down first.

dmannarano1207

by dmannarano1207

thanks again for the help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com