Wert Straight Shooter stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xena
Banned

by xena

Hi, very nice. Do you have a real weight for a 130mm -17 stem?
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

mythical

by mythical

A production version Wert Straight Shooter stem in ±8ºx130mm is expected to weigh about 86 grams. ±17º stems will gain less than a gram on their ±8º counterparts. Also, 130mm and longer stems accordingly feature a slightly greater wall thickness of the tubular section than a 120mm (81-82 grams) or shorter, to offset the increase in leverage. A 75mm stem is expected to weigh about 67 grams.

The tested ±8ºx130mm prototype weighed almost 83 grams but those hollow prototype bolts were extremely light. Production bolts will not be hollow and weigh around 2-3 grams more. I hope this answered your question satisfactorily.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipdamages

by ipdamages

I would like a 110, -17, black. Bravo, Rico. You remind me of my friends at Sweet Parts. Hopefully you fare better.

xena
Banned

by xena

That's amazing. The only other option for me as been to go custom carbon and I don't feel very confident about using a ultra light carbon stem.
Thanks for your response and really enthused about the parts you make.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

mythical

by mythical

Great news! A WW forumite known as "weeracerweenie" has become Wert Cycling's first customer to order his black 130mm x ±17º Straight Shooter stem. :beerchug:

The latest news:
Wert Cycling Facebook Update wrote:Update: Congratulations to our very first customer to order and pay for his Wert stem: Mr. T. Reed from Christchurch, NZ.

Pre-production stems are in the making and we were told they're done by early next week. Current shipping estimates for the first production Straight Shooter stems: as early as 5-8 weeks from today.

Initially, Wert Straight Shooter stems will be exclusively made-to-order, and we hope to ship at least 100 stems upon launch. Soon after, we should be all set to deliver standard sizes from stock. A Wert Straight Shooter stem is estimated to retail for €198, and your orders are most appreciated! For further information or just a shout-out, feel free to email us on info@ridewert.com

Wert Cycling is still urgently searching for a suitable replacement web developer to finish our online shop. Qualifications: CSS/HTML/jQuery-wizard. Referrals are welcome.

Online orders/payment shall be possible once the Wert online boutique is launched. With a bit of assistance from fate, we expect to have this issue sorted within a few weeks. Wish us luck!

ipdamages wrote:You remind me of my friends at Sweet Parts. Hopefully you fare better.
The designer at Sweet Parts is also a friend of Wert Cycling. We've had similar issues with manufacturing and helped each other out where we could.
Thanks for the well-wishes! :beerchug:

xena wrote:That's amazing. The only other option for me as been to go custom carbon and I don't feel very confident about using a ultra light carbon stem.
Thanks for your response and really enthused about the parts you make.
We're not very confident in ultra-light carbon stems either. Most have proven finicky. Let's hope Wert stems and future parts find wider acceptance among cyclists of all backgrounds. :)
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Nice one Tayler! And nice one Rico on the first official sale.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Can't describe how excited I am, can not wait! Wooooooooooo
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

If your feeling slightly envious reading this knowing you want one, you should send Wert an email and get your order in!

Info@ridewert.com, go on!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So this is why you sold your car huh? :lol:

mythical

by mythical

Thanks, Tayler, Stu. Orders are slowly trickling in. :beerchug:

It's taking more than expected to piece it together, especially the details. There were a lot of delays in the development phase and a lot of challenged that were overcome, such as manufacturing issues. It's not exception and many other great bike brands with similar experiences, where some parts sadly became vaporware (like EE cranks).

Now the entire operation seems to slowly get going. It'll be excited to see Wert Cycling acquire its own CNC-machinery to speed up R&D and future product releases. The Wert Straight Shooter stem is only the first of many exquisite and uniquely refined bicycle components to come, like SRM or Garmin head unit mounts that directly fit the stem handlebar clamps, or a 15 gram integrated expander with toolless headset top cap.

For safety reasons, the steerer needs to expand past the top of the stem and this expander/top cap accommodates for up to 4mm excess steerer height to ensure your steerer won't fail catastrophically. It doesn't have a name yet though.

Perhaps we should announce a name-that-expander competition... Can anyone think of a suitable model name for this Wert top cap/expander? :)

thprice

by thprice

"Garmin head unit mounts that directly fit the stem handlebar clamps"
Yes please :thumbup:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

mythical wrote:For safety reasons, the steerer needs to expand past the top of the stem and this expander/top cap accommodates for up to 4mm excess steerer height to ensure your steerer won't fail catastrophically. It doesn't have a name yet though.

Perhaps we should announce a name-that-expander competition... Can anyone think of a suitable model name for this Wert top cap/expander? :)
The Over Shooter.

jooo

by jooo

I know the name has already been used for other cycling equipment, but IMO Black Hole seems fairly appropriate considering that picture? :thumbup:

mythical

by mythical

Interesting names, but not the kind that truly has a catchy ring to it. Thus we remain open to suggestions. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vdrey

by vdrey

Pit of despair?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk