Top 5 frames you have ever ridden

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

c50jim

by c50jim

I'm still loving this thread as some love what others hate - e.g. several votes for the Cervelo R3 that I rode twice and sold and others disliking the Colnagos I like.

solarider, I'm with you on the Responsorium. After hearing for years who wonderful they are, I bought one last year, rode it less than 500 km, tried to sell it to someone who'd bought two of my Parlees and had an old al Peg that was showing its age. He liked it but his wife decided he had enough bikes so it's been hanging in the garage unridden all year. Maybe I'll give it a good cleaning and put it on eBay. Neat craftsmanship

Re late 90s dead spot. I understand where you're coming from. However, there are lots of votes for the C40. I bought my first in 1995 and the Bstay came out 19around 99 or 2000. Maybe it's the exception that proves the rule.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

The early R3s felt harsh through the saddle on larger bumps due to the huge inflexible seatpost. The R3SL and later R3s use a 27.2mm post (and smaller seat tube although I don't think it makes nearly the difference the post does). They don't have the same harshness on big hits. It was very noticeable when I went from my original very early R3 to an R3SL.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Responsorium owners. Is it stiff? I've had one on my shortlist for awhile but have always feared that it wouldn't be stiff enough. I currently ride a Duell passion that is just about perfect in terms of stiffness to forgiveness. I'd hate to shell out a ton on a Ciavete and find out it's a noodle. I'm not expecting it to be a big leg emma by any stretch. Just stiffer than steel frames of the past.

solarider

by solarider

Yes, very stiff. Too stiff for me in fact. It is an out-and-out race machine and lacking in the comfort that some steel bikes posess.

Personally after a long time riding titanium, it wasn't to my taste. Probably the Marcelo would have been better for me.

It is a work of art, and very responsive as the name implies, but not your average steel bike.

boolinwall

by boolinwall

It sounds perfect. Thank you!

michel2

by michel2

Boolinwall.
if you want a nice comfy pegoretti, go with the duende, i had a marcello for years and spend a fair bitt of time on a couple of different models while i lived in caldonazzo. the marcello is very well ballanced and i think it might be his best bike, its ridable for day with out getting beating up, i dont what gave you the idea it might be a noodle but, their solid.keep in mind i ride a 63 cm and since they dont customise tubing per size they certainly feel wobbly in smaller sizes (-: go test drive one !

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I've been looking at pegoretti's for ages. The Emma is the ideal bike for my riding style. But finding one or waiting for one are not really options. I worried about the Respo not being stiff due to it being made of XCR. Strong, rustproof, but also quite light. Light and stiff don't usual go together with steel. Plus, it's listed as a comfortable ride. Again, comfy and stiff don't usually match up with steel. I have looked at the Duende and do like the idea of saving $2,000. But I live in a coastal community with salted roads all winter. Stainless steel just simply makes sense. I do appreciate the input.

User Name

by User Name

Do these Pegorettis have standard tube dimensions?

boolinwall

by boolinwall

No, he has Columbus draw oversized tubing for him. Plus, he has them heat treat Comlumbus spirit tubing. To the best of my knowledge, he's the only one doing that. It adds extra springiness to the steel. It's already more than strong enough without it.

User Name

by User Name

Thanks. I think Scapin had custom Columbus tubes, but I'm not sure about these days

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Colnago C59
S-Works Venge
BMC SLT01
Zipp 2001

Each of these bikes has its own personality.
carbonLORD.com

michel2

by michel2

User name:
The marcello and the stainless frame are bassed around 38 and 35/32mm round tubbing, late 90's this was an uncommon size but today a pretty common tube size nowerday's
All main tube supliers run these sizes in steel and even bigger, from what i gather from the columbus website all spirit/life is heat treathed, but could be wrong

User Name

by User Name

Thanks. I don't know much at all about Pegorettis

jrennie

by jrennie

I rate mine on stiff, sharp race bikes for the top 4 and best all around 5th.

1. Super6 (std not hi-mod)
2. S-works sl3 (rode better than the sl4 to me)
3. S-works Venge
4. Caad 10
5. Ruegamer Zen

jostanderhub

by jostanderhub

Here is my share of experience (5 worst rides out of 27 owned bikes):

The "Worst Frame Ever" goes to:
Orbea Euskatel Replica (Columbus Starship tubes)
Nice painting, good geometry but extremly flexy

Second Price is awarded to:
Rocky Mountain Turbo TO Scandium
Same as the Orbea: Nice look - frustrating ride.

The "Most Overrated Frame" (Price/value)
Merlin Cyrene
Neither fast nor comfy. But expensive

The "Most Underrated Frame" (Price/value)
Colnago Primavera
The entry-level Frame from Taiwan with the famous brand
on it. The best geometry I ever had ridden. Why did I sell it?

The "best Bang for the $"
C´dale Super6
No matter if HM or not - this is a reliable, forgiving Frame
without any substantial weakness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com