Schwalbe One

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rmerka

by rmerka

Tubeless widths measured

25c = 25.65mm
23c = 24.55mm

Inflated on Pacenti SL23 to 95psi

KingOfCrank

by KingOfCrank

I have been riding the Schwalbe One tubeless since May. I originally bought the 23mm tire as that was the only one available. Even with doc blue the tire was a tight mount but sealed up easy. I used the Conti GP4000S for years over thousands of miles. The past two years I have been using the Mavic Griplink/Powerlink combo.
The ride on the Schwalbe One tubeless is the best I have ever experienced. I haven’t used other tubeless tires but compared to the GP4000S the ride is a night and day difference. The reason I swapped from the Conti to the Mavic was the ride.
Traction and cornering is amazing on the Schwalbe One in my opinion I haven't had better. Wet conditions are OK considering, the rubber has a foamy feels that probably attributes to better wet traction. Compared to the GP4000s the wet cornering traction is not near as good; I never slipped with the Conti but have with the Schwalbe One.

Wear is another thing all around though. The GP4000S seems to last quite a while and eventually you get that flat spot on the tire and you just keep riding it. The Schwalbe One appears to be wearing better than the Mavic but not as well as Conti. It might be tough to get through a whole season on the Schwalbe One where the GP4000s was a given for one even 2 years.

The Mavic tire, the GP4000S, and the Schwalbe One seems to have consistent performance as far as effects of drag. The tubeless tire does seem faster than the clincher, but that is nu-scientific.

For the past week I have been using the 25mm Schwalbe One on the back. (Note #2 below). There is a significant volume change between the 23mm and 25mm. I need to get the caliper out and measure. The 25mm also mounted much easier on my Stan's Alpha 340 rims.

Two notes:
1. Trainer: If you sometimes use a trainer the Schwalbe One seems to wear very fast. I don't know the science behind it but 10 hours of trainer use put noticeable wear on the tire. Strange and terrifying considering the cost.
2. Bead: The bead on my rear 23mm Schwalbe One failed and I could see the stitching unraveled where the bead was sown. The Schwalbe customer service team promptly sent me a replacement where I ask for the 25mm. Thumbs up there. Full disclosure: I had to ride gravel on a 23mm tire and I weigh almost 190lbs. I have wrecked the bead seem more than once on the Mavic's and once on the Conti doing the same thing. It was probably the gravel that caused the failure. I know, I know, why gravel. I live in a rural area and sometimes a road just turn to gravel overnight around here.

I hope this helps. I really feel the Schwalbe One is a great high-performance tire, has the best supple ride and will last fairly well. Compared to the Conti GP4000s you should be really happy unless you expect long life or ride in a lot of wet conditions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KingOfCrank

by KingOfCrank

This does look like much but the 25c tire has a lot more volume in my experience.

rmerka wrote:Tubeless widths measured

25c = 25.65mm
23c = 24.55mm

Inflated on Pacenti SL23 to 95psi

rmerka

by rmerka

Nice review KingOfCrank thanks! I'm itching to get some miles on the tires. If I had to guess, as I'm not the scientific type, I'd say putting the 23c on a wide rim like the Pacenti accounts for the measurement of the 23c tire. I'm betting that the tires over-all run very much true to size unlike Conti's which run on the large side.

Miller

by Miller

rmerka wrote:[Here's a photo of sasquatch:

Hey, thanks, so they really do exist! Maybe I'll get mine soon.

addictR1

by addictR1

Johnny Rad.. I have an addict too, but currently running Michelin Pro4 SC. Is the one clincher lighter and perform better than the Pro4 SC I have now?

superdx

by superdx

Mini review of the tubular version, 24c on a 2013 SuperSix EVO on Zipp 202 tubulars. I've not ridden tubulars before so this was a whole new experience. Previously I was using Michelin Pro4 Service Course, then I got the Grip version. Both sets of tires were problem free, zero punctures and very reliable on both dry and wet. I wanted to switch to tubulars for less weight and a better ride.

Ride quality: Super nice. It was like I my bike had developed some kind of air suspension. In comparison, the Pro4 clinchers were really harsh and bumpy to ride on. The route had a some stretches of bad road, lots of debris, gravel, junk etc.. There was even a patch with broken glass from a car accident. The tires held up pretty well, no punctures or cuts to speak of.

Grip: Was pretty dry today, good traction in and out of corners. I'm new to carbon braking so I managed to lock up the 202s a couple times - the Schwables managed to keep some grip without sliding too much.

Speed: Not really sure this can be quantified, but according to the people I was riding with, I was a heck of a lot faster especially on climbs, though that's probably the 202s. Strava also had a couple new PRs. This was also my first ride on the 202s, previous wheelset was Ksyrium SLRs and these were just outright faster. The Ksyriums were like riding mud. I never noticed how un-aero these wheels were.

Pressure: Shop recommended 140PSI. Using a Birzman pump, it was a bit hard to fit the snap-it head onto the valve. Took out an cheaper Zefal pump and had no problems. Very strange. Maybe I need a new valve extender.

Conclusion: I was a little worried that these only had ~127 TPI, but they seemed to do really well and I am really pleased with the tires. Will do a few more rides this week but initial impressions are good, and happy with the purchase.

stl516

by stl516

how does this compare to Vittoria CX?
Last edited by stl516 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

superdx wrote:Pressure: Shop recommended 140PSI.

Too much pressure IMO. 100-115 is what you need on 24c tubulars.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Set of One clinchers, 23c - 207g and 210g (compare that to 192-203g for my last 6 Ultremo ZX clinchers in 23c).

After the maiden voyage today, they ride awfully nicely.
I'll give it more time, but early results point to a softer, more supple ride.
Color me impressed so far. More to follow.

superdx

by superdx

Only 2 weeks and got a 3mm cut on the front tire. I even saw the scrap metal on the road but it was so narrow, I couldn't avoid it, or else a car would have hit me. Ran over it and boom, no air.

Put some Stan's sealant in, worked my mini pump until I worked up a REALLY good sweat and managed to get back on the road. Luckily a bike store was only about 10km away and managed to borrow their pump and get back up to 130PSI. Continued to ride another 20km back home.

This morning, checked the pressure and it seemed to be holding fine, though it was slightly lower than my rear tire by about 5-8 PSI. Not sure if it's a big deal yet but at least the tire hasn't gone totally flat on me yet.

NGMN

by NGMN

AG2R is sponsored by schwalbe. Anyone know which tire they were riding for the tt? Not exactly a ringing endorsement yesterday...

Otter

by Otter

I've been running the Ones tubeless for about a month now, after 6 months on several sets of tubeless Ultremo ZXs.

I do a lot of miles and race a lot of crits here in Aus so the cornering loads in such high heat really shred tires. The Ultremo ZXs were unreal in there level of grip and supple ride, however they would shortly start to peel and marble like a motorcycle racing tire. An other hassle about the Ultremos was there near total lack of puncture resistance. While the sealant would always do its job on peaces of glass and wire, I did have some catastrophic slashes in them totaling the tires.

The One seems to perhaps have SLIGHTLY less grip, feels a little stiffer and does have a noticeable decrease in rolling resistance. Most importantly is that it corners well and has much better wear. They last longer and so far haven't suffered any massive sidewall cuts. I like them a lot. I even threw some on my warm up/training wheels for the track bike. Not super recommended as they seem to not like wood all that much and have less grip than "Open Tubular" like Challenge and such.

All the tires on my road bike are 23c mounted to Pacenti SL23 rims.

jimborello

by jimborello

I recently change all my tubular tires from Ultremo to One, and they are awesome. I use 24mm tires inn all of my bikes. I had my first flat last Thursday that ripped the sidewall with a edgy stone, but I guess that would have happened with any other tire because I wasnt the only one on the group with an identical flat.

Carrots

by Carrots

jimborello wrote:I recently change all my tubular tires from Ultremo to One, and they are awesome. I use 24mm tires inn all of my bikes. I had my first flat last Thursday that ripped the sidewall with a edgy stone, but I guess that would have happened with any other tire because I wasnt the only one on the group with an identical flat.

How do you find the 24s? Equivalent to others with 25s?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com